FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2018 9:50 AM  #1

T-5 hopefully

got a line on a t-5 locally bell housing and a rebuild kit $400. let you know

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

4/23/2018 11:42 AM  #2

Re: T-5 hopefully

well the t-5 was a wash soo ill keep on looking

4/23/2018 5:24 PM  #3

Let me know what you're looking for.  I have one from a V8 Foxbody.  It would have to be shipped, but a T5 only weighs like 68 lbs I think, and its compact.  I can figure out shipping with a ZIP.  PM me if interested. 

4/24/2018 12:27 PM  #4

bearcat I am consdering this, So please post everything you are researching and settling with, parts, nuances.. make it full of info for me to follow behind you

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

4/25/2018 7:24 AM  #5

I am collecting parts to change my 66 with a C-4 to a T-5 also. So far, I have the T-5, bell housing, shifter and pedals. I will be following this thread as I gather the parts needed.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

4/25/2018 11:35 AM  #6

Just starting to collect parts , But i will keep you all posted

4/25/2018 3:55 PM  #7

Its really a well documented and straightforward swap.  You will need:

T5 for a V8 application, preferably a Fox Mustang application '85-'93.  The Z-spec T5 is also an option as it is a direct fit for those cars.  Correct speedo gear for your rear gear ratio and tire size. 

T5 bellhousing, clutch fork, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and associated hardware.

Flywheel for a 28.2 oz balance with 157 teeth. 

Custom T5 crossmember for your year Mustang & T5 trans mount.

Aftermarket slip yoke for T5 to allow use of stock driveshaft (works with '67, not sure about other years).

Aftermarket plug and play wiring, or you can fabricate your own.

Mustang Steve cable clutch kit.  Clutch pedal (this you will have to research for your particular year, but its well documented how to swap from a single auto pedal to a dual pedal setup in any year on this forum and others).

Shift lever, knob, and boot.

Its mostly a bolt in.  Obviously there will be snags and pitfalls that apparently only happen to you, because that's how these things go.  No write up ever seems to be complete, as people forget things, don't hit the same snag you do, etc. 

4/25/2018 4:07 PM  #8

What TKO said x2. One other bit of advice. I bought a fastener kit from Rosehill Performance that contained every nut,bolt,screw and washer I needed to complete the job. I'm sure it saved me countless hours and aggravation. As complex as it seams it is really a simple mod, time consuming but simple. There are options for clutch/ flywheel , clutch actuation, etc. so do your home work and ask questions.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/26/2018 7:19 AM  #9

Most people use a cable clutch, but you can actually still use a factory z-bar or a hydraulic clutch if you choose to... just to give you a few more options.

I used the factory z-bar because I already had all of the pieces.  I re-did my clutch rods with heim joints and it works smoothly.

Last edited by Michael H. (4/26/2018 7:19 AM)

4/26/2018 12:49 PM  #10

That is true, and if you start with a manual trans reusing the stock linkage may actually be easier.  If you're converting from an automatic though IMO its easier to just use the cable rather than rounding up the 4 speed clutch linkage parts.

Hydraulic is an option too, but I've never been a fan of hydraulic clutch actuation.  To me it gives a numb pedal where its hard to know exactly where the clutch is slipping and gripping.  Some form of mechanical linkage allows you to feel exactly where it is in the engagement point.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.