FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2018 12:14 AM  #1

lowering 66 mustang

ok im sure there has many topics on lowering a 64-66 mustang on here and ill start a search...but if any of you can lead me to a good discount store that would be great...nothing huge project wise such as the Shelby drop..just looking to do a 1" maybe 2" drop using just coil and leaf springs..i don't think I would like to go with a block on the leaf springs..so basically just replacement parts ...thanx

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

4/25/2018 4:54 AM  #2

Re: lowering 66 mustang

First off, the Shelby drop isn't huge.  It only lowers the front end maybe 3/8".  Lowering the car is not why people do the Shelby drop.  They do it to get much, much better suspension geometry and a car that handles properly without the need for extreme alignment settings that prematurely wear out the tires.  If doing ANY suspension work you need to do the Shelby drop.  By the time you remove the springs the rest of the drop takes maybe an hour.  Cost?  Literally about nothing.  There's always people on here that have templates they will send you to use for the cost of shipping, myself included. 

For the rear use either a mid eye or reverse eye set of springs with somewhere in the 4-5 leaf range.

For the front I would just take 1/2 coil at a time off a set of GT rate springs until you get the height you want.  A work of warning though, you need to let the springs settle after cutting and installing them. 

4/25/2018 8:01 AM  #3

^^ Agree... If you've already got the front springs out then you're only one step away from having done the Shelby/Arning Drop.  At that point it's just a matter of drilling 4 holes and putting it all back together.

If you're going to have the spring out anyway and you're going to have to get an alignment anyway then there's no reason not to go ahead and do the Shelby/Arning Drop unless you just don't want to drill holes in the shock tower.

Here's a link to Day's article on how to do the Shelby/Arning Drop:
http://dazecars.com/dazed/drop.html

4/25/2018 8:31 AM  #4

In the middle of redoing front and rear suspension.  Even putting in front and rear anti roll bars and subframe kit.  

I can tell you these 3 things I've heard consistently from people who clearly are in the know....

1) Don't use lowering blocks.
2) Don't use air shocks.
3) There's a good chance you might have to cut the springs to get the ride height just right.

cheers

4/25/2018 9:19 AM  #5

As you will no doubt find out here there are several ways to go about this. My goal when I lowered my 66 coupe was to do it right without throwing a bunch of money at it and at the same time not compromise safety. As previously stated don't be afraid of the " Shelby drop" it's a very simple mod with great rewards. See Daze Cars for details. In addition to the drop I used 620 lowering springs on the front of mine with Monroe shocks and a 1" sway bar. In the rear I went with 4 leaf standard eye springs and2" lowering blocks with Monroe shocks.
A word on shocks and lowering blocks. The lowering blocks work fine for a street driven car. If you're going to do any racing I would go with a mid or reverse eye spring. I used Monroe shocks because by the time I got to that point my budget was depleted however they do work fine.
Another option for the front would be dropped spindles. I have no experience with them just putting that out there.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/25/2018 11:46 AM  #6

do the Shelby drop, the car will handle better. If cutting the springs like said earlier half a coil and see what you have I did 3/4 of a coil off of a 620 spring and got where i wanted. For the back reverse eye 4 1/2 leaf springs. Remember each car is different so it may take you a bit to get the stance right.

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

4/25/2018 3:59 PM  #7

FYI,  also run the 620 coils in the front.

The issue with lowering blocks is that they create a lever against which the rear housing can rotate.  On a high powered car it creates spring wrap, wheel hop, etc.  Its just like lift blocks on a lifted truck.  You're always better off with a proper ride height spring.  If it were just a cruiser, 6 cylinder, etc. it wouldn't concern me that much, but my stuff gets run hard on occasion.

4/25/2018 5:32 PM  #8

I agree with TKO on the lowering block thing. I have em and they work ok for my street cruiser.I also have a little bit more than stock hp in my 289 and an open rear end. So needless to say I don't do any hard launches, not anymore. Next on my list are reverse eye springs.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/28/2018 12:32 AM  #9

good to know..yes I read about the Shelby drop and the benefits from it..i have seen it done  online etc and really looks pretty easy...if I decide to do it which im leaning to doing now I may be looking for that template

TKOPerformance wrote:

First off, the Shelby drop isn't huge.  It only lowers the front end maybe 3/8".  Lowering the car is not why people do the Shelby drop.  They do it to get much, much better suspension geometry and a car that handles properly without the need for extreme alignment settings that prematurely wear out the tires.  If doing ANY suspension work you need to do the Shelby drop.  By the time you remove the springs the rest of the drop takes maybe an hour.  Cost?  Literally about nothing.  There's always people on here that have templates they will send you to use for the cost of shipping, myself included. 

For the rear use either a mid eye or reverse eye set of springs with somewhere in the 4-5 leaf range.

For the front I would just take 1/2 coil at a time off a set of GT rate springs until you get the height you want.  A work of warning though, you need to let the springs settle after cutting and installing them. 

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

4/28/2018 12:33 AM  #10

I agree too..i should probably do it

Michael H. wrote:

^^ Agree... If you've already got the front springs out then you're only one step away from having done the Shelby/Arning Drop.  At that point it's just a matter of drilling 4 holes and putting it all back together.

If you're going to have the spring out anyway and you're going to have to get an alignment anyway then there's no reason not to go ahead and do the Shelby/Arning Drop unless you just don't want to drill holes in the shock tower.

Here's a link to Day's article on how to do the Shelby/Arning Drop:
http://dazecars.com/dazed/drop.html

4/28/2018 12:40 AM  #11

good and appreciated advice friends...when I pull the coils I think ill do the drop ..im still trying to get pictures on here through my phone with the tiny pics app but the app is horrible

4/28/2018 3:20 PM  #12

Don't forget the need for adequate tire clearance with the lowered stance.

4/28/2018 3:58 PM  #13

whlnut wrote:

​Yes.  A lowered car cannot handle as large a tire in the front.  I had to go from a 225-50 to a 215-50 when I changed to 16" wheels from 15".  Even so I rub the driver side front a little in hard right turns.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/30/2018 12:09 PM  #14

right now I have 17"s w/ 225/45s all around...hopefully with the drop it will still be gtg....the front does have a lot of clearance right now...so im optimistic.

lowercasesteve wrote:

whlnut wrote:

​Yes.  A lowered car cannot handle as large a tire in the front.  I had to go from a 225-50 to a 215-50 when I changed to 16" wheels from 15".  Even so I rub the driver side front a little in hard right turns.

4/30/2018 12:15 PM  #15

TKOPerformance I messaged you

TKOPerformance wrote:

5/01/2018 7:27 AM  #16

For a nice stance, "Grab A Track" 4 1/2 leaf reverse eye matches the Shelby Drop with 1 inch drop lowering 620"s in the front.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/07/2018 11:20 PM  #17

I ordered mid-eye 4 1/2 leafs ...hope it looks good...im obviously gonna do the front first and see how it sits and take it from there...

almcgee wrote:

For a nice stance, "Grab A Track" 4 1/2 leaf reverse eye matches the Shelby Drop with 1 inch drop lowering 620"s in the front.

5/10/2018 3:37 AM  #18

Perfect Discussion

5/22/2018 1:04 PM  #19

ok so I have received my 620 1" drop springs, 4 1/2 mid eye leafs (all grab a trax)....i did print a templet for the Shelby mod and measured it .all measurements seem to match up good..... .only problem is its on paper lol...,so I have to figure something out in that aspect of the mod on how to make a metal one...just to make clear before I start...(I plan to start this project possibly tomorrow) ..when I pull all this stuff off then drill the holes..i put everything back together and take it to an alignment shop right?...or am I missing something?..it all seems simple enough..i just don't want to screw anything up..thanx again .

5/22/2018 1:34 PM  #20

Be real careful when working with those coil springs.....

When taking the suspension apart, be sure to keep track of the number & location of the shims on the UCA.  You will want to put them back in the same location temporarily, to get yourself to the alignment shop.

Trace the bolt pattern onto the inside of a cereal box, or get your piece of paper laminated if you don't have a metal template.  I held the template in place by bolting the uca back on.  Mark the spot to be drilled with a good, sharp punch, and drill away. 

Once everything is reassembled, yes, you will need an alignment.  Be sure to find a shop that has some old school techs that know about aligning with shims.  Be sure to give the shop the alignment specs that Daze has on his website, and be sure to get an "after alignment" print out.

Are you removing/replacing the lower control arms?  If so, make sure you do not tighten the bolt that holds the arm to the frame with the suspension dangling.  Make sure the weight of the car is on the front suspension before torqueing them down.  It will make for short bushing life if torqued with wheels dangling.

Last edited by TimC (5/22/2018 1:38 PM)

5/22/2018 3:23 PM  #21

very good advice!...all my suspention  is pretty new about 3 years old id say..(I bought the car like that) so I will be leaving the lower control arms there..i love the laminate idea!..yes the coil springs got me a little worried as ive never done some but im pretty sure I can handle them..as for the shims I plan to mask them together so I don't loose them ..

TimC wrote:

Be real careful when working with those coil springs.....

When taking the suspension apart, be sure to keep track of the number & location of the shims on the UCA.  You will want to put them back in the same location temporarily, to get yourself to the alignment shop.

Trace the bolt pattern onto the inside of a cereal box, or get your piece of paper laminated if you don't have a metal template.  I held the template in place by bolting the uca back on.  Mark the spot to be drilled with a good, sharp punch, and drill away. 

Once everything is reassembled, yes, you will need an alignment.  Be sure to find a shop that has some old school techs that know about aligning with shims.  Be sure to give the shop the alignment specs that Daze has on his website, and be sure to get an "after alignment" print out.

Are you removing/replacing the lower control arms?  If so, make sure you do not tighten the bolt that holds the arm to the frame with the suspension dangling.  Make sure the weight of the car is on the front suspension before torqueing them down.  It will make for short bushing life if torqued with wheels dangling.

5/22/2018 3:51 PM  #22

A bit of advise on drilling the drop holes.
 Do not put the holes in the template, draw cross hair lines on it and use  the template to center punch at those points.
 Use the center pock mark to scribe the proper hole size circle on the shock tower.
Start with a 1/16" drill on the punch marks, and using increasing size drills sneak up on the finish size drill.
 If you see that the initial holes are not concenrtic with the scribe mark use a rat tail file to correct the errors.
 Be careful as you go to larger diameter drills as they will grab and cork screw in to the holes. Try not to exert to much pressure on the drill , just enough to get it cut slowly.
 135 degree drill points tend to work better on thin materials than 118 degree points.
An other trick to keep drill from screwing in, is to take a dremel and slightly flatten the leading edge of the cutting lips, a 1/64" flat is enough.
 I hope this helps.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/22/2018 4:22 PM  #23

I remember being told years ago by an old engineer, that when drilling pilot holes, to use a bit that's 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the finished hole.
Not to use every size in the drill set.
JMHO.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/22/2018 5:13 PM  #24

good ideas...yes I plan to drill slow..and I have plenty of drill bits that aren't as sharp..hahah

Rudi wrote:

A bit of advise on drilling the drop holes.
 Do not put the holes in the template, draw cross hair lines on it and use  the template to center punch at those points.
 Use the center pock mark to scribe the proper hole size circle on the shock tower.
Start with a 1/16" drill on the punch marks, and using increasing size drills sneak up on the finish size drill.
 If you see that the initial holes are not concenrtic with the scribe mark use a rat tail file to correct the errors.
 Be careful as you go to larger diameter drills as they will grab and cork screw in to the holes. Try not to exert to much pressure on the drill , just enough to get it cut slowly.
 135 degree drill points tend to work better on thin materials than 118 degree points.
An other trick to keep drill from screwing in, is to take a dremel and slightly flatten the leading edge of the cutting lips, a 1/64" flat is enough.
 I hope this helps.

5/22/2018 5:15 PM  #25

I have plenty of time to do this project..so I deff will start small and work my way up measuring im sure every other second lol

50vert wrote:

I remember being told years ago by an old engineer, that when drilling pilot holes, to use a bit that's 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the finished hole.
Not to use every size in the drill set.
JMHO.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.