FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2018 8:54 PM  #1

power steering pump pulley size?

does anyone know what pulley fits on 50-7095 power steering pump? or what the shaft size is?.. the pulley I bought is a fraction to small..it was a nice pulley too...here is the pump ..im looking for a 6 rib serpentine thank you
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8461449/00841

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

5/09/2018 9:09 PM  #2

Re: power steering pump pulley size?

What is too small? The pulley hole to slide over the shaft of the pump or the overall pulley diameter? If a pulley is meant for a Saginaw pump, then it should fit any Saginaw pump. The pulley has to be pressed on with a tool you can  rent at the auto parts around here.  

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/09/2018 11:25 PM  #3

the hole on the  pulley is a tad to small to fit over the shaft to even get it started to push it on with a tool

Bolted to Floor wrote:

What is too small? The pulley hole to slide over the shaft of the pump or the overall pulley diameter? If a pulley is meant for a Saginaw pump, then it should fit any Saginaw pump. The pulley has to be pressed on with a tool you can  rent at the auto parts around here.  

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

5/10/2018 6:32 AM  #4

check shaft and hole with caliber .   it is naturally hard to fit inside also with correct tool . When i fit mine it was very very hard and i have bent the tool to do it until right positionon shaft . 
i prefer key shafted pulleys instead of push ones . mine (saginaw / borgeson) has 5,45 +/-  ext diam.   the inside shaft could be 0,76 inch  , its mounted and cannnot be sharp

5/10/2018 6:56 AM  #5

Alessandro wrote:

check shaft and hole with caliber .   it is naturally hard to fit inside also with correct tool . When i fit mine it was very very hard and i have bent the tool to do it until right positionon shaft . 
i prefer key shafted pulleys instead of push ones . mine (saginaw / borgeson) has 5,45 +/-  ext diam.   the inside shaft could be 0,76 inch  , its mounted and cannnot be sharp

X2 on this. Its time to start measuring.

5/10/2018 2:33 PM  #6

ok I measured and I got  0.7485 does anyone know if I buy the same size pulley it matches to or go alittle smaller and by how much? Anyone?

5/10/2018 5:00 PM  #7

That pump fits many GM vehicles.  For example, a 1996 C1500 2wd pickup.  A parts search for a pulley for a 1996 C1500 2wd pickup shows that a Dorman 300-200 fits the bill.  $18.39 at Autozone.  Or you can go to Summit and pay $28 for some reason.  Check the snout of your new rebuilt pump carefully to make sure the end is not mushroomed from a previous owner using the wrong installation or removal method.  They go on tight.  Are you using the installation tool or trying to press it on by hand.  They go on tight because there is no key.  They rely on the friction between the pulley and shaft to get it to turn without slipping.  The first time I had to install one I thought that there was no way but with the installation tool it eventually went on.  If the pump isn't in the car yet, you can keep the pulley from spinning when you are trying to install it by wrapping an old belt around it and clamping the belt in a vice - a bit like a strap wrench.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-300-200/overview/year/1995/make/bowtie/model/k1500

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/power-steering-pump-pulley/dorman-power-steering-pump-pulley/361384_0_0

5/10/2018 10:58 PM  #8

I finally got the size I bought a meter at lowes and measured it...Its 0.7485 I bought a pulley that is a wee tad smaller 0.7462 I got it on the shaft about 1/4 in with a harbor freight pulley tool...but after it reaches 1/4 of it being on, the damn shaft starts spinning!...wtf!!! im so frustrated..im positive im doing it right..the only thing I can thing of is the shaft is broke? im not sure..the pump is installed on my car and id hate to pull it off because it took a lot of modding to get it on there...pretty much a days work believe it or not  smh

GPatrick wrote:

That pump fits many GM vehicles.  For example, a 1996 C1500 2wd pickup.  A parts search for a pulley for a 1996 C1500 2wd pickup shows that a Dorman 300-200 fits the bill.  $18.39 at Autozone.  Or you can go to Summit and pay $28 for some reason.  Check the snout of your new rebuilt pump carefully to make sure the end is not mushroomed from a previous owner using the wrong installation or removal method.  They go on tight.  Are you using the installation tool or trying to press it on by hand.  They go on tight because there is no key.  They rely on the friction between the pulley and shaft to get it to turn without slipping.  The first time I had to install one I thought that there was no way but with the installation tool it eventually went on.  If the pump isn't in the car yet, you can keep the pulley from spinning when you are trying to install it by wrapping an old belt around it and clamping the belt in a vice - a bit like a strap wrench.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-300-200/overview/year/1995/make/bowtie/model/k1500

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/power-steering-pump-pulley/dorman-power-steering-pump-pulley/361384_0_0

5/11/2018 5:38 AM  #9

With the pump on the car, can you install the belt and get tension on it. The belt can help hold the pulley and keep it from turning.

Since you’ve worked so hard to get the pump installed, will you be able to get the pump off the car with the pulley in place later on if needed? Sometimes those mounting bolts are hard to ge at with the pulley on.

I did the initial mock up of mine on the engine stand where I had plenty of room to work. Had the pump on and off several times making sure the pulleys lined up and the home made bracket was situated the way I thought I wanted it. Once it was in the car, the pump and bracket were both  on and off a couple of more times to finish tweaking the bracket. It’s the joy you get from modifying stuff.

5/11/2018 10:44 AM  #10

it actually wouldn't be to bad to get it off..after trial and error I now know what to do...I cant use a belt because I actually don't have the correct ones for it yet as im going to 2 serpentine belts instead of the one I had on there..the alt was mounted on driver side it just looked like a mess..lots of washers used for spacers,ugly brackets....so im changing everything so it looks somewhat stock but with the serpentine pulleys..the pulley isn't whats turning..its the shaft to the pump that is..like its slipping I guess...

Bolted to Floor wrote:

With the pump on the car, can you install the belt and get tension on it. The belt can help hold the pulley and keep it from turning.

Since you’ve worked so hard to get the pump installed, will you be able to get the pump off the car with the pulley in place later on if needed? Sometimes those mounting bolts are hard to ge at with the pulley on.

I did the initial mock up of mine on the engine stand where I had plenty of room to work. Had the pump on and off several times making sure the pulleys lined up and the home made bracket was situated the way I thought I wanted it. Once it was in the car, the pump and bracket were both on and off a couple of more times to finish tweaking the bracket. It’s the joy you get from modifying stuff.

5/12/2018 5:51 PM  #11

My rule for the "Results of Modification".

Anything you modify will result in a necessary modification to at least six other items...and each of those will have the same requirement...etc, etc, etc, etc.  So, the modification of one little piece could ultimately require modification to an infinite number of other parts.

That's why these cars are NEVER finished.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/13/2018 12:05 AM  #12

Boy!!! did you hit that one on the head!!!! hahahaha

Bullet Bob wrote:

My rule for the "Results of Modification".

Anything you modify will result in a necessary modification to at least six other items...and each of those will have the same requirement...etc, etc, etc, etc.  So, the modification of one little piece could ultimately require modification to an infinite number of other parts.

That's why these cars are NEVER finished.

BB

5/13/2018 10:55 AM  #13

I recently had to remove and reinstall my PS pulley (a Borgeson Saginaw Pump), a V-belt design and found it quite difficult, the pulley slipping in my hand.  I put some light oil on the shaft and would make small advances, then let it sit for a minute or two, make another small turn (maybe a half-turn on the wrench), repeated this over and over until pulley was positioned properly. 
I do not remember having this issue many years ago (like 35) which is the last time I removed a PS pulley.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/22/2018 12:51 PM  #14

I finally found the right one...what ive learned is if its to frustrating walk away and do it another day..i got everything buttoned up and things worked like butter when I came back to do it...its funny how things work themselves out lol.

BobE wrote:

I recently had to remove and reinstall my PS pulley (a Borgeson Saginaw Pump), a V-belt design and found it quite difficult, the pulley slipping in my hand.  I put some light oil on the shaft and would make small advances, then let it sit for a minute or two, make another small turn (maybe a half-turn on the wrench), repeated this over and over until pulley was positioned properly. 
I do not remember having this issue many years ago (like 35) which is the last time I removed a PS pulley.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.