FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2018 4:46 PM  #1

horn bushings

how do you change the horn brushes on a 1965 mustang 289  ,with alt ,

5/18/2018 7:15 PM  #2

Re: horn bushings

First of all, WELCOME to FYIFord!
If I remember correctly, the "brushes" are part of the turn signal switch, and for years, most folks are highly dissatisfied with aftermarket TS switches.  They just don't last.  Look for a genuine Ford switch.  You will need to pull the steering wheel to change the switch.

I wanted to figure out a way to add some material to the end of the "brush" to make better contact on my 65, too, but haven't gotten around to that, yet.

5/20/2018 11:52 AM  #3

my contacts are to close...the previous owner added power steering and im assuming the shaft wasn't cut enough?..but now when the car is turned or the steering wheel is hit the horn honks..lol.. I have it disconnected for now till I can find my steering wheel puller and get in there to take a look..hopefully the problem can be fixed..

TimC wrote:

First of all, WELCOME to FYIFord!
If I remember correctly, the "brushes" are part of the turn signal switch, and for years, most folks are highly dissatisfied with aftermarket TS switches.  They just don't last.  Look for a genuine Ford switch.  You will need to pull the steering wheel to change the switch.

I wanted to figure out a way to add some material to the end of the "brush" to make better contact on my 65, too, but haven't gotten around to that, yet.

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

5/20/2018 11:58 AM  #4

yes the horn bushings are all connected to one peace including the wiring down the steering  collum ..they sell an after market turn signal switch with the bushings you would have to remove the steering wheel to get to it..then cut the wiring and soder  the new one on..the hardest part would be getting the steering wheel off..but really that's not even that hard...

rags65 wrote:

how do you change the horn brushes on a 1965 mustang 289  ,with alt ,

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

5/20/2018 4:27 PM  #5

Hi , i had the same silly problem during my resto and  needed to open and close the horn and steering wheel so many times to solve it . 
Open the cap and remove the steering wheel .
First time could be little hard , but without big issue .
When you see the switch check for broken parts and turing cam still work . if is all good clean and lubricate joints .  
In my car the brushes were too close on the top of it . 
gently turn away each others , you can also turn the spring of brush to change position vertically .
To be sure that contact dont touch again i  encapsulated ( crowned)  with heat  shrink tube .
Dont warm it just sharp cut upon the contact . This prevent touching themselves and horn on turnin.
In mine works from the first time i put a protection between brushes.
i got a 66 and maybe is different but hope it helps !
ciao !

5/22/2018 1:21 AM  #6

This problem haunted me for a while

I have an after market steering wheel, and install needs an aftermarket kit made by GT (sold at parts stores), that kit includes a center section that mates to the steering shaft, and gets the big 1” nut ,  and then the steering bolts on to it .
Mine was stretched after multiple install and uninstalls , and I didn’t Realize it . That caused a lot of problems like the horn contacts would go down too far, enough that they would short with body, create smoke and shut off the car while turning .. lol

Changed turn signal switch, changed everything , didn’t go away. Until I changed that center peice

Now the turn signal switch (which has your horn contacts built in ) is easy least to Change while it may seem daunting . Just disconnect battery, follow the steering column down , you’ll see wires coming out of it to the left , undo that connector , take a picture of how the wires are in relation to the grooves that hold the connector together when mated. Take a pin to depress down the metal tabs that keep the old wires of the old turn signal switch on, and while pushing on the pins , pull on the wires they’ll slide out .

Undo the steering wheel with 1” socket . Get it off completely , and then are three Phillips head screws under there and a triangular washer , undo that, and unscrew your turn signal lever off the old turn signal switch. Pull the switch out with its wiring all the way through.

Reverse the steps for installing the new one

Now I tried many new aftermarket turn signal switches and hated each and every one. Either they were broken, would break , or were such a tight fit that the turn signal cam couldn’t cancel the turn signal

I went finally with an original part in ford box, found on eBay, for a lot more ($130) instead of like $40 bucks for aftermarket , but it was the best thing I did. It is smooth and works perfectly !!!

If I can do it , you can do it too ;D

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.