FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2018 3:55 PM  #1

68 Mustang 289 Monte Carlo bar

Where does it fit?
I'd like to mount a straight black Monte Carlo bar. I'm trying to figure out just where it fits up against a stock air filter housing that's been cut down to just big enough to hold the air filter. I placed apiece of three-quarter inch angle aluminum across at the shock tower's top bolt and it looks like it may go between the stock air filter housing (cut down)  and the distributor cap.
I don't know if the round Monte Carlo bar squares off its mount at a 90 degree angle, how far off center from that bolt or if it's tapered back or forward or down.
Also, I saw a cjponyparts video that describes the black straight one is real light and possibly flimsy?
Appreciate your comments.

5/20/2018 6:02 PM  #2

Re: 68 Mustang 289 Monte Carlo bar

They are relatively cheap. Less than $40 I think.  It’s the export braces that have wide variations in quality. You also need carriage bolts on the top two bolts on both sides of the bar. You’ll dent your hood if you use fender bolts. They’re too tall. They make the curved ones which circumvent the larger distributors and/or tall manifolds and large air cleaners. I’d order the straight one and return or exchange it if it doesn’t clear your hardware.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

5/20/2018 8:36 PM  #3

Thank you Muzz. From other pics, it looks like the bar is about an inch away from the top shock tower's bolt  going towards the front of the car

Last edited by daily driver (5/20/2018 8:45 PM)

5/20/2018 8:39 PM  #4

Is it working?! lol 

5/20/2018 11:04 PM  #5

Last time I posted a pic it looked fine on my phone but came out upside down on the website. The guys can be merciless around here.  I'll measure tomorrow and report.  The bar attaches to the top fender bolt areas and top two front shock tower bolts on the forward side. The side braces on the Monte Carlo bar are triangular.   Just order one and trial fit it.  That's the best way.  You will also find out if your shock towers have bowed in any over the years.  Some do, some don't. You'll just have to fit it and see.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

5/21/2018 12:02 AM  #6

I just installed mine except for the two bolts on top..i had to do alittle bending and pushing to make it fit but with some help from my son we got it to fit....good luck

daily driver wrote:

Where does it fit?
I'd like to mount a straight black Monte Carlo bar. I'm trying to figure out just where it fits up against a stock air filter housing that's been cut down to just big enough to hold the air filter. I placed apiece of three-quarter inch angle aluminum across at the shock tower's top bolt and it looks like it may go between the stock air filter housing (cut down) and the distributor cap.
I don't know if the round Monte Carlo bar squares off its mount at a 90 degree angle, how far off center from that bolt or if it's tapered back or forward or down.
Also, I saw a cjponyparts video that describes the black straight one is real light and possibly flimsy?

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

5/21/2018 3:44 AM  #7

Muzz 66 wrote:

Last time I posted a pic it looked fine on my phone but came out upside down on the website. The guys can be merciless around here.  I'll measure tomorrow and report.  The bar attaches to the top fender bolt areas and top two front shock tower bolts on the forward side. The side braces on the Monte Carlo bar are triangular.   Just order one and trial fit it.  That's the best way.  You will also find out if your shock towers have bowed in any over the years.  Some do, some don't. You'll just have to fit it and see.

I have a lap top now and that's the only difference. It was click, click, click. Then I read Photobucket was charging? No way.

5/21/2018 4:00 AM  #8

Thanks Vic. All information is helpful.

Vicfonz wrote:

I just installed mine except for the two bolts on top..i had to do alittle bending and pushing to make it fit but with some help from my son we got it to fit....good luck

daily driver wrote:

Where does it fit?
I'd like to mount a straight black Monte Carlo bar. I'm trying to figure out just where it fits up against a stock air filter housing that's been cut down to just big enough to hold the air filter. I placed apiece of three-quarter inch angle aluminum across at the shock tower's top bolt and it looks like it may go between the stock air filter housing (cut down) and the distributor cap.

5/21/2018 10:47 PM  #9

Here's A photo of mine.  It's a '66, but the spacing is close to the same as yours.  The rear mounting bolts are in the stock holes for the fender.  I had to drill the front ones.  The dizzy cap has plenty of room to be removed.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/22/2018 5:56 AM  #10

Thank you!
This is what I'm looking for. Do you think it will fit like this on a 68? To be able to remove dizzy cap? Where did you get it and a part number please? Aboiut how much does it weigh? Would it be considered heavy duty?

Last edited by daily driver (5/22/2018 7:39 AM)

5/22/2018 12:31 PM  #11

daily driver wrote:

Thank you!
This is what I'm looking for. Do you think it will fit like this on a 68? To be able to remove dizzy cap? Where did you get it and a part number please? Aboiut how much does it weigh? Would it be considered heavy duty?

I probably got both brace and bar at Maier Racing.  Bill Maier left the company, a few years back, so I don't know about the current state of affairs.  It's been so long that I can't remember part numbers.  If you are concerned about the dizzy, get one with the bend/half circle in the middle.  Mine fits just fine.  As to your 68,  I cannot say.

It weighs 2-4 lb.  Anything you get from Maier would be heavy duty or to original specs.. 

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/22/2018 7:22 PM  #12

I have the straight Monte Carlo bar and even with the "big-cap" duraspark distrib.......there's plenty of room for removal.
Butt-eye have a 66(IF that makes a difference)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/22/2018 10:24 PM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

I have the straight Monte Carlo bar and even with the "big-cap" duraspark distrib.......there's plenty of room for removal.
Butt-eye have a 66(IF that makes a difference)
6s6

Looks like there is a difference. My 68 bar would have to be between the top bolt and the shock tower housing or I'd have to pull either the bar or the spark plug wires to get to the dizzy cap off. Guess what?! The photo bucket won't work again. At least now I know not to argue with it.

5/22/2018 10:33 PM  #14

Photo bucket works on this pic. But not on the pic under the hood of the 3/4 inch aluminum monte carlo mock bar. WHY?

5/22/2018 10:42 PM  #15

Guess I am still arguing with it. WTF? Some pics upload, some won't.

5/23/2018 4:44 AM  #16

Photobucket is not worth the effort or cost. Tiny pic here on the site works well or Flickr is a free hosting site option. Nice ride.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/23/2018 9:58 AM  #17

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Photobucket is not worth the effort or cost. Tiny pic here on the site works well or Flickr is a free hosting site option. Nice ride.

Pardon me, sir. I meant tiny pic is not working on every pic.
When Tiny Pic is obscure at the bottom of the pic to upload it won't work. 
I do not have a tiny pic account

5/23/2018 10:02 AM  #18

Same proceedure, same document stash, different pic and waa laa!
1982, same mustang

5/23/2018 12:45 PM  #19

for some reason..i cant log on to Tiny Pic through this site

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

5/23/2018 1:05 PM  #20

I save my pics on google drive, then to post on a thread here I click on upload image, then choose  file, I then copy the jpg (because after I upload the image I'm unable to add the image to my post), I then paste the copied jpg to my post text. Works for me.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/23/2018 1:30 PM  #21

rpm wrote:

I save my pics on google drive, then to post on a thread here I click on upload image, then choose file, I then copy the jpg (because after I upload the image I'm unable to add the image to my post), I then paste the copied jpg to my post text. Works for me.

I like that link! What is it?

5/23/2018 9:07 PM  #22

Which link, google drive? I don't know of a link to it, I have an app on my devices. It looks like this:

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/27/2018 7:52 AM  #23

Here's a nice shot of my monte carlo bar. If you look real close. Not! Thanks for viewing

5/27/2018 9:29 AM  #24

Read Gaba's post on how to upload pics.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/27/2018 3:41 PM  #25

it says a success. And the pic is there but the TinyPic link in the lower left corner is obscure. This means it won't upload. It only works right on some photos.  [url=http://plugin.tinypic.com/plugin/join.php?popts=l,wide|t,images|c,forum|i,en|s,false|cu,http%3A%2F%2Ffyi.boardhost.com%2Fcallback.html|ct,Add+to+Your+Post]Join usUT oh my this is moving the Tiny pic link today![/url]© TinyPic.com.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.