FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2018 3:38 PM  #1

Anyone ever use RTV in place of the paper gaskets on the timing cover

and for the water pump?  I know RTV is fantastic for intakes, rear ends, even oil pan gaskets but was wondering if there was some issue I was missing in using it for the front assembly of the engine. (I have only ever used the actual gaskets)  My 351 is all black other than the bare aluminum heads and RTV would probably look a lot cleaner than bright blue gaskets, any thoughts, experience and or advice??

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

6/08/2018 5:13 PM  #2

Re: Anyone ever use RTV in place of the paper gaskets on the timing cover

Same as intake manifold gaskets, you don't replace them with rtv. If you need to use some with the gasket use it sparingly. Whatever squirts outside, the same amount squirts inside. would be a shame to cause an issue because of overuse of RTV.

Last edited by MachTJ (6/08/2018 5:15 PM)

6/08/2018 6:02 PM  #3

I always use a gasket and then coat both sides sparingly w/ RTV.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

6/08/2018 8:00 PM  #4

WORNG!!!!!!!

I always(well almost always) use RTV in lieu of gaskets on front cover/water pump. Sux when you need to remove it butt........how often is that!!
It also ELIMINATES that little puddle of coolant/oil that always usta gather in that  corner area of the front cover.
Looks waaaaaay cleaner too instead of the blue gaskets.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/08/2018 9:35 PM  #5

I would not use just RTV on timing cover or water pump or intake. . Reason is those are pressurized passages. Valve covers and oil pan are not pressurized.

I know some do it with good results-so far, but I prefer to use a good FelPro gasket with paper thin coating of RTV on one side and contact cement between the block and gasket.

Either way, be sure to get back with a long term use report someday. I have never had a leak the way I install them.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/10/2018 3:00 PM  #6

MS wrote:

I would not use just RTV on timing cover or water pump or intake. . Reason is those are pressurized passages. Valve covers and oil pan are not pressurized.

I never thought of it that way and that makes perfect sense.  High pressure vrs low pressure is a fantastic rule of thumb going forward, thanks for pointing that out.  

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

6/10/2018 4:51 PM  #7

I don't know if this advice is worth much, but I use a skim coat of rtv on gaskets like the timing chain cover and such.  I do similar to what MS does.  But instead of using contact cement or indian head  I put a skim coat of rtv on ONE side of a gasket, and install it on the part I want it on.  Say between the valve cover and the gasket, or on the gasket and the block (in the situation of the timing cover.  Then I let it set up to dry before I go any further.  The reason is, I have found by trial and error that if you put rtv on both sides of a gasket and install it wet, it can and will move and cause a major oil leak    

So basically I use rtv, but I use it like MS uses contact cement.  
I also use the copper spray on all MLS head gaskets.  

Last edited by Greg B (6/10/2018 4:52 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/10/2018 7:58 PM  #8

Letting RTV dry before installng tight, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of using RTV. In my thinkng, wet RTV will flow as you tighten the bolts, THEN harden to conform to the surfaces you installed it on. Letting it dry first makes it try to squeeze out like the gasket tries to do.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/11/2018 4:38 AM  #9

I agree.  If your goal is to hold the gasket in place; use gasket cement (Permatex Hi Tack, etc.).  If you want to seal it use RTV, but the assembly needs to be torqued to spec while wet.  Another option is Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket.  A light coat on both surfaces, allow them to tack, and install.  It never hardens, and cleans off easily with Brake Kleen or lacquer thinner.  If you have to hold an oil pan gasket on while the engine is in the car; its not the best option, but for a timing cover it would work fine.  If you're careful you can use multiple sealants on the same gasket too (i.e. Hi Tack to hold it in position and Form-A-Gasket for sealing).  Its more work, but I do so hate leaks.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.