FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2018 5:10 PM  #1

Borgeson steering box to pitman arm location * FIX * !!

One last thing on my Borgeson installation steering wheel travel is about 3/4 turn different ..I mounted the shaft where I index the gear box center  ..so my only answer would be I mounted the pitman arm wrong ???....

PITMAN ARM WAS OFF CENTER  !!!!  

Thanks for all your suggestions ....

Last edited by Vkt-66 (6/30/2018 6:57 AM)

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

6/20/2018 6:10 PM  #2

Re: Borgeson steering box to pitman arm location * FIX * !!

Vkt-66 wrote:

One last thing on my Borgeson installation steering wheel travel is about 3/4 turn different ..I mounted the shaft where I index the gear box center  ..so my only answer would be I mounted the pitman arm wrong ???

If the gear box was centered and the wheels were straight ahead when the pitman arm was installed, all should be good.
I don’t understand the 3/4 turn different, can you explain?

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/20/2018 7:22 PM  #3

The pitman arm can only index in four places on the box.  With the wheels straight ahead it will only go on one way.  If the steering wheel is not centered when the wheels are centered you need to first make sure the steering center link is centered.  Adjust your tie rods until they are both the same length.  Then set toe by adjusting each side equally until you get the toe spec you want (measure from the same tread blocks at the front and rear of the tires as high up as you can).  Once that's done pop the steering wheel off and install it where its clocked right.  Drive the car, and you may find you need to adjust it one spline left or right to get it truly centered.

Index marks, centering the box, etc. only gets you so far from my experience.  This is the only way to truly center the box AND the wheel. 

6/20/2018 9:03 PM  #4

one other thing to check is both steering stops on and on correctly?   Just making a mental checklist of things to check.   The other possibility is they clocked the box wrong when they put it back together, getting it a tooth off.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/21/2018 8:25 AM  #5

Thanks guys this gives me some things to look for besides what my little brain could think of !!!! 
=12.1875pxPictures 

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

6/21/2018 8:47 AM  #6

Some time ago I posted a how-to on how I put together my own Borgeson-like PS setup using an Isuzu Trooper box.  There are a lot of pics there that my help.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

6/21/2018 7:44 PM  #7

Just a little....."something-I-learned-that-no-one-should-EVER-experience".
You ever been going thru the gears....getting on the interstate....when the nut on a strut rod comes off?!
I was in Fort Smith(I even remember where I was!) on the way to Tulsa....when I hit a dip in the "horrible" I-40 on ramp.  I was launched from the right lane  across to the far left emergency lane in a micro-second!!  Thankfully there was NO trucks or cars nearby. I didn't know WHAT the issue was butt I fought the steering wheel until I got to Tulsa
. Later discovered the strut rod nut had..."backed-off" and the rod had popped OUT of the hole and was just ....sticking out there like and erect -----!! 
Needless-to-say...I have DOUBLE nutz on both my strut rods now. Cheap inshore-ance. 
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/21/2018 8:17 PM  #8

WOW ! Thanks for the concern .. I might just drill a carter pin that sucker !! 

6/21/2018 8:18 PM  #9

WOW ! Thanks for the concern .. I might just drill a carter pin that sucker !! 

6/21/2018 11:08 PM  #10

Double nuts and a cotter pin is SOP on the 69's.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/24/2018 11:46 AM  #11

Vkt-66 wrote:

One last thing on my Borgeson installation steering wheel travel is about 3/4 turn different ..I mounted the shaft where I index the gear box center  ..so my only answer would be I mounted the pitman arm wrong ???

Are you sure your steering stops are correct for the car? That will affect this ask me how I know...

6/30/2018 7:02 AM  #12

Vkt-66 wrote:

One last thing on my Borgeson installation steering wheel travel is about 3/4 turn different ..I mounted the shaft where I index the gear box center  ..so my only answer would be I mounted the pitman arm wrong ???....

PITMAN ARM WAS OFF CENTER  !!!!  

Thanks for all your suggestions ....

6/30/2018 9:36 AM  #13

Glad you got it figured out.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.