FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2018 10:12 PM  #1

Back-up light wiring for a T5 Tranny

Can anyone tell me where to connect the wiring for back-up lights to a T5 Tranny?  I have the T5 tranny switch and a connector with 2 wires.  I know one wire connects to the wires going to the back-up lights and one wire is for power.  Where is the best place to tap into power and what is the best routing and where is the best place to tap into the wiring going to the back-up lights?  Pictures or a diagram would be nice.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

7/14/2018 12:27 AM  #2

Re: Back-up light wiring for a T5 Tranny

I went back up thru the shifter hole and tapped into a hot ALWAYS source......bad move
Hook to the ignition switch....or another source that's only hot with key on

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/14/2018 2:24 AM  #3

There may be year to year variances, but for my '67 there is a four pin (two male, two female) plug coming through the firewall above the LH valve cover.  That plug is for both the reverse lights and the neutral safety switch.  The two pins for the neutral safety switch just get bridged (or you could wire in a clutch interlock switch if you want).  The other two pins are for the reverse lights and get wired down to the two pins on the reverse lights switch on the LH side of the T5.  I bought a plug and play harness.  It worked fine, except that it was about 1' too long, so I cut out 1' of it and spliced the wires back together so I could route it cleanly. 

7/14/2018 1:06 PM  #4

mine is an automatic....but as for the power I tapped into my ignition..basically just a round grommet then a small nut to bolt it down to the pin that sticks out of the back of the switch..look at my previous post there is a small discussion on it..im going to add a fuse inbetween the power that leads to the N/S..im guessing 15 amp is sufficient..

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

7/15/2018 8:05 PM  #5

I swapped a T5 into my 65 FB.  I used the stock T5 back-up light switch and bought an adapter harness.  Here's one from NPD:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/extension-wire-back-up-light-attaches-t-5-switch/169760

The above harness attaches to the stock Mustang harness (15525 in the pic below), so you will need that if you don't have it.  Here are some pics that show how the 65 backup light wiring harness is routed:

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

7/15/2018 11:13 PM  #6

jkordzi,

Thank You.  The diagrams are what I needed.  I have a connector for the switch on the T5 tranny with 2 wire leads.  I will have to make the 15525 harness.  Where are you in Dallas?

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

7/19/2018 7:37 PM  #7

=12ptRon Frances sells a OEM Style back-up switch connector for the T-5: #PG-055 w/9" leads.
This is instead of wiring that comes w/two single push-on connectors.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/19/2018 8:37 PM  #8

BobE wrote:

=12ptRon Frances sells a OEM Style back-up switch connector for the T-5: #PG-055 w/9" leads.
This is instead of wiring that comes w/two single push-on connectors.

I also found everything needed at CJ Pony under T5 conversion

Last edited by Don (7/19/2018 8:38 PM)

7/24/2018 3:17 AM  #9

The first Hotwire I found went to the dome light. Didn't even think to check that because everytime I checked the back up lights, my door was open. Then I said to a friend. I have toggle switched my backup lights and said check this out. He said they're not on! I open the door went and looked and they were on. I soon realized they only came on when I had my door open! So I found a always hot and I'm using a toggle switch. I like that because I can use my backup lights for other lighting effects.

7/24/2018 7:42 PM  #10

daily driver wrote:

The first Hotwire I found went to the dome light. Didn't even think to check that because everytime I checked the back up lights, my door was open. Then I said to a friend. I have toggle switched my backup lights and said check this out. He said they're not on! I open the door went and looked and they were on. I soon realized they only came on when I had my door open! So I found a always hot and I'm using a toggle switch. I like that because I can use my backup lights for other lighting effects.

Just don't forget and park it while in reverse!! Don't ask me how I know this!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/25/2018 4:21 PM  #11

Hot wire in RUN ONLY makes more sense than to worry what gear you parked in.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/25/2018 4:26 PM  #12

MS wrote:

Hot wire in RUN ONLY makes more sense than to worry what gear you parked in.

RIIIIIIIGHT!
6s6

7/25/2018 8:13 PM  #13

I'm a standard 3 speed now-a-days. So yeah, I can park in reverse or any gear on flat ground.;)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.