FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2018 3:57 PM  #1

'65 FB Rear Panel Clips

13 years ago when I started tearing down my FB I swore I was going to document everything with photos. Well, with a divorce and two crashed computers it seems I've "misplaced" some of those photos. Someday I'll figure out this cloud thing everybody keeps talking about! 

Any chance that someone has a couple of photos of which clip goes where for the interior rear panels?

Second question: 
What can be used to paint the interior metal and panels?  Is it necessary to use interior paint from one of the Mustang vendors or is satin black Rustoleum OK to use?  Not going for concours points.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by Mark in CA (9/18/2018 4:14 PM)

9/19/2018 9:09 PM  #2

Re: '65 FB Rear Panel Clips

Rusteoleum is fine. Just clean metal with lacquer thinner/acetone real well before spraying paint
Brakleen works well too (I love this stuff!)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/20/2018 8:55 AM  #3

I’m also having same problem.
For metal parts, yes, I plan on using basic spray paint.
For the fiber parts, I was told to use SEM vinyl primer and paint. I have not done it yet.

Be careful, chrome won't get you home!

9/20/2018 4:22 PM  #4

I used Rustoleum satin black #7777 years ago to do mine.  I scrubbed everything with COMET cleanser first to remove any residue. DO NOT sand them.  Paint is still adhering well after 25 years.

Now, the caveat:  I have used that same paint recently, and they have changed it dramatically.  So much so that I refuse to ever use it again.  It just doesn't spray right, usually coming out too fast and not spraying in a good pattern.

I have found the ACE HARDWARE store brand satin black works great.  Sorry, no 25 year test of it yet, though.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/21/2018 12:46 PM  #5

As for the clips, it should be fairly intuitive.  Just hold the panel up there and imagine what the clip needs to look like to attach it to.  The original screw holes should provide the final proof.  The clips are different enough that it should not be a problem.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/21/2018 1:17 PM  #6

This is what I used in my 65 FB:  https://www.amazon.com/SEM-Landau-Black-Interior-Aerosol/dp/B003HF0Q7W.  I used it for all of the interior fiberglass pieces, the metal trim pieces, the textured parts of the doors, the dash, and to re-dye the dash pad.  It's a lacquer based paint.  Goes on easily, dries fast, and is easy to retouch.  It seems to me to be a close match to the original black color.  If you use it on the dash, SEM sells "SEM Soap" and an adhesion promoter that I recommend.  To remove the original paint on the rear fiberglass pieces, I used lacquer thinner and a scotch brite pad and it worked pretty well so that when I resprayed the original texture remained.  On the textured parts of the door, I used a fine wire wheel, which got down into the texture without damaging it.  The only downside to the paint is that being lacquer, it doesn't offer much abrasion resistance, but it is easy to touch up.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

9/21/2018 3:19 PM  #7

MS wrote:

As for the clips, it should be fairly intuitive.  Just hold the panel up there and imagine what the clip needs to look like to attach it to.  The original screw holes should provide the final proof.  The clips are different enough that it should not be a problem.

Thanks.  Didn't even think about just jigsaw puzzling it, but it makes sense.

9/21/2018 3:20 PM  #8

Uj-SPRT wrote:

I’m also having same problem.
For metal parts, yes, I plan on using basic spray paint.
For the fiber parts, I was told to use SEM vinyl primer and paint. I have not done it yet.

Thanks, I've been following your thread with interest.

9/23/2018 11:41 AM  #9

Mark, as other posts have noted, most of the trim is fairly intuitive.  The "Interior Assembly Manual" available from Mustang parts stores is helpful.  I'll note two items, one is the early fastbacks (mine is a Nov 64 build, w/folddown rear seat) has a small clip on the fastback trim at the corner behind the doors, while later models had one long piece curved at the end, eliminating this clip.  The other is that the fiberglass rear panel does not fit under the windlace as can be seen in the picture.
Sorry for the large pictures, still haven't quite figured out Tiny Pics.

Last edited by BobE (9/23/2018 11:43 AM)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/23/2018 2:29 PM  #10

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.