FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2018 7:52 PM  #1

Rotors ... slotted, drilled pros and cons

MS, I noticed in Glen Rose, that you had swapped to plain rotors and changed calipers.
I guess the caliper swap to cobra lettered ones were for a bit of bling to offset the plain rotors.
Butt why the swap to plain rotors?
13" rotors are not as cheap in Oz, so I only want to buy them once.
Is there a reason I should buy plain?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/19/2018 8:19 PM  #2

Re: Rotors ... slotted, drilled pros and cons

You can't really turn slotted or drilled rotors.  That's about the only advantage.  Most rotors today on vehicles built from the mid '90s onward are throw away anyway, because they lack the material needed to be turned.  Around here its hard to even find a place that turns rotors and drums anymore.  15 years ago most auto parts stores did it.  Now when a car need brakes they toss the old rotors and just install new rotors and pads. 

With that a given I always opt for some form of gas relief, be it slotted or drilled.  Basically that gas acts as a cushion under hard braking and keeps the pads from applying as hard as they could.  The slotted or drilled rotors are also often higher quality than the Chinese made parts store rotors.  I've seen those fail from bad metallurgy where the center literally ripped right out of the rotor. 

9/19/2018 11:04 PM  #3

Turning drilled rotors is like anything else, it depends on who does it. Many shops won't do it period, some will depending of the metal the rotors are made from. After my wheel bearing fiasco driving home from Tubo's Bash, I had a buddy at a local shop turn my low mileage drilled rotors. They came out just fine, with plenty of meat left on them. And rotors are consumables, too cheap to mess with usually.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/20/2018 3:59 AM  #4

In Oz, a pair of cheapish rotors run bout $350.
At 5000 miles since 95, I'm never gunna need to replace them because of wear. Even if I get to drive it a LOT more if I ever stop work.
When I do drive it, it's not like Grandma .... I buy tyres for traction, not treadwear, they timeout any way. More smiles per mile.
If drilled/dimpled and slotted induce more chequering,  cracking .... but cool better, brake better, I can live with that.

Last edited by 50vert (9/20/2018 4:06 AM)

9/20/2018 4:42 AM  #5

BTW, I love DBA rotors, which I believe are made in Australia.  Very high quality.  Not cheap, but well worth it IMO.  I run them front and rear on my WRX, and that car brakes incredibly well. 

9/20/2018 9:08 AM  #6

DBA, PBR and EBC, (always wanted to do that), are the combination I have settled on.
Still need to decide wether to go plain or slotted/drilled. Hence this post.
Unless I hear a good reason not to, I will probably go slotted only.

Last edited by 50vert (9/20/2018 9:09 AM)

9/20/2018 10:18 AM  #7

Stoptech slotted are on the front of my 68 , they have integral hubs, about $90 and Motorcraft MKVIII Plain  disks on the rear, $42, both in Canuckistan coin of the realm bucks.
 I use plain Jane pads that are not hard, they are much easier on the and easier to change than the rotors.
 After about 6K miles, no  discernible grooving  on the rotors.
 The car stops exceptionally well in panic situations - -  don't ask me how I know!

Last edited by Rudi (9/20/2018 10:19 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/20/2018 10:41 AM  #8

Rudi, after seeing your avatar, I think I know how you know.

9/20/2018 4:14 PM  #9

My cobra brakes have the same calipers they always had, with COBRA lettering.  The reason I got rid of the drilled and slotted rotors is because of the DADADADADADADADADADADADADA noise and pedal pulsation they were causing.  Nobody around here would turn them.  Seems the interrupted cut tears up their tooling.  I bought some brand name Brembo fronts and some Autozone "upgrade" rears.  Noise and pulsation went away.  The plain ones sure don't look as cool!   Thanks for noticing something about my car. 

I think all four cost under $300.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/20/2018 6:24 PM  #10

Thanks everyone.
Steve, what sorta mileage before you started to feel pulsation?

9/20/2018 6:59 PM  #11

I was talking to one of the Brembo engineers a while back about pedal pulsation and he said it is usually caused by two things. Either very hard use and getting them too hot or rust. Here in Michigan, we get a lot of temperature swings that cause condensation from all the humidity. If the car sets for a while through several of these swings that rust can be severe even though it does not look that bad. The rotor never seems to rust where the pads are against it. Now you have a high spot that you can feel in the pedal. It never gets better, just worse. He said they make their premium rotors from material that survives that a lot better. I try to move my cars  often that are stored through the winter to minimize that.

9/20/2018 11:09 PM  #12

Anyone else notice that when MS installs a custom part on his 66, a lot of the time he'll end up going back to oem parts? Down at the police station they call that a clue. I gotta rethink my thinking.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/21/2018 4:10 AM  #13

I've never experienced a pedal pulsation in the WRX.  Likely because the car gets driven daily.  If the only issue is a little surface rust one of those green finger wheels on an air angle grinder should take care of that.  My neighbor runs one of those across every rotor he turns before mounting them on the car.  No very abrasive, just knocks the loose junk off. 

I've found stuff that sits inside around here takes a very long time to get any surface rust on it (like years), but the stuff that sits outside is extremely susceptible to it. 

9/21/2018 4:33 AM  #14

Well goldangit!!
I've noticed, just never put it together.
Guess that's why you were getting paid to be down at the police station, and I ....... wasn't.
There is that big slab of aluminium under the bonnet though .... don't think it's leaving anytime soon.

Last edited by 50vert (9/21/2018 5:17 AM)

9/21/2018 12:38 PM  #15

50vert wrote:

Thanks everyone.
Steve, what sorta mileage before you started to feel pulsation?

Immediately
I put nearly 30,000 miles on them before I got fed up with it.  Granted, they were not real expensive rotors to begin with, and my new Shelby does not do it with the factory drilled rotors.  Not saying all will do it, but mine did.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/21/2018 2:50 PM  #16

If the rotors were cheap I'd pin it on the rotors, not whether or not they were drilled.  Cheap rotors =  cheap metal = problems.  Too many impurities in the iron from using recycled junk being sent to China by the boatload for high scrap prices. 

9/21/2018 3:04 PM  #17

rpm wrote:

Anyone else notice that when MS installs a custom part on his 66, a lot of the time he'll end up going back to oem parts? Down at the police station they call that a clue. I gotta rethink my thinking.

In a street application I see no reason for fancy drilled/slotted rotors. If we going for BLING then slap em on. The stock KH calipers and rotors still work wonderful for my street driven Mustang.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

9/22/2018 6:16 AM  #18

By that rationale why upgrade the brakes at all?  4 wheel drum brakes worked fine for 40-50 years, why not just keep them?

Because technology has improved, and times have changed.  Very few guys are going to be happy with 4 wheel drums anymore, because we don't drive these cars daily, and the cars we do all have big 4 wheel discs.  You get used to how modern cars brake, and the old cars feel like they take forever to stop by comparison. 

There's also the fact that highway speeds, and even just regular road speeds are considerably higher than they were even just 15-20 years ago.  I don't drive any faster on the highway than I ever did.  I've pretty much always done 80.  20 years ago that meant I was passing everyone.  Today I'm in the middle of the pack and get passed plenty by people driving 85-90.  Even the speed limit was raised from 55-65 around here.  At those speeds your brakes better be top notch

The slotted and/or drilled rotors are not necessary, but they do provide better braking, even during regular driving for two reasons.  First, those rotors tend to be premium and made from better material.  If you get DBA, Baer, Brembo, Stoptech, etc rotors they are more expensive, but made from good metal with good metallurgy that isn't prone to fail or warp like the cheap parts store replacements. 

Second, the slots and/or holes do help under hard braking in a couple regards, both by increasing clamping force on the rotors by venting surface gas build up, and by assisting with cooling and reducing brake fade. 

I got tired of warping stock rotors on my WRX, so I upgraded to the DBAs.  I also used factory brackets to allow the use of larger rear discs from an Outback.  EBC green pads, and braided stainless flex hoses and that car now stops as confidently as it does everything else. 

In part its about balance.  A lot of guys will think nothing of doubling the horsepower their car makes, but spend zero money or thought on the idea that they should double how well it brakes too.  Cars that are more powerful than they can brake or handle are dangerous.  On some cars (Fox bodies for example) brakes should be among the first upgrades you make because the factory systems were so deficient that the car was unbalanced off the showroom floor. 

9/22/2018 9:03 AM  #19

Do the majority of new cars come with drilled or slotted rotors?
  Performance cars might.
 I can't remember any new car I ever bought that did, they all stopped ok at freeway speeds.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/22/2018 3:30 PM  #20

Basically anything marketed as "high performance", etc. now comes with slotted or drilled rotors.  Its been a slow transition for sure, but my prediction is that it just continues to radiate outward as trends like this do.  At one point the only American made car that had 4 wheel discs was a Corvette.  Now you can't buy a new car that isn't 4 wheel disc.  Just a matter of time.

Cars are going to continue to get more and more portly and more and more powerful.  That's the trend of the past 30 years.  At some point OEMs are going to start using any braking advantage they can get so that braking distances never go up.  Multi piston calipers are expensive compared to drilled or slotted rotors, and rotors from a practical standpoint can only get so big, especially on smaller cars where the wheels aren't going to fit 15" rotors.  Its a logical progression.  Technology once considered expensive and common only in racing gradually makes its way into our daily drivers.  Turbos, disc brakes, traction control, etc. all started in racing and are now commonplace on even fairly pedestrian transportation. 

I've never owned a car that had them from the factory, and again, not saying they are strictly necessary, but they do improve braking.  With rotors being throw aways now anyway I don't really see any reason not to run them other than cost, but again, you tend to get what you pay for with rotors, and the performance rotors are typically better made to begin with, so...

9/23/2018 7:16 AM  #21

I have a new 2018 Ford F150 with less than 4000 miles. It has 4 wheel disc brakes and I admit thinking that was probably more than was needed. Well! I got a lesson on braking last week. In the early morning as the sun was just coming up a deer jumped in front of the truck crossing the road. No way any of the many cars I have owned over the last 50 years would have missed that deer. I was really amassed at how fast the brakes slowed down the truck running at 65, made me a believer in four wheel disc.  

9/23/2018 1:00 PM  #22

pbrownrk wrote:

I have a new 2018 Ford F150 with less than 4000 miles. It has 4 wheel disc brakes and I admit thinking that was probably more than was needed. Well! I got a lesson on braking last week. In the early morning as the sun was just coming up a deer jumped in front of the truck crossing the road. No way any of the many cars I have owned over the last 50 years would have missed that deer. I was really amassed at how fast the brakes slowed down the truck running at 65, made me a believer in four wheel disc.  

Give credit where credit is due: the anti-lock braking system is largely responsible for that amazing braking. Before antilock, the driver had to modulate the brake pedal to keep from locking up the wheels. With antilock, the deiver just presses down the brake pedal as hard as he can and the antilock modulates the pressure to all the wheels. Makes me wonder when some smart guy will develop an antilock brake kit for Gen 1 Mustangs.

9/23/2018 2:59 PM  #23

And that's exactly the scenario where ABS is needed.  Panic stop, no time to think, let alone modulate the pedal.  The modern ABS systems are really quite good.  The early systems left a lot to be desired, and I think the GM systems in particular maybe caused as many wrecks as they prevented. 

You could adapt ABS to an early car.  I've seen it done in other custom applications, but you need the ability to rewrite the software for the system to work in a non stock application.  Its a lot of trial and error to get it to work as well in such an application as in a stock application where many, many hours of testing and research were used to optimize it.  I think the issue would be that there are so many different brake combinations people run on these cars that the system would have to be end user adjustable, and there's a lot of liability there. 

9/23/2018 3:33 PM  #24

Hornman
You  are correct without the ABS no way I would have been able to hit the brakes as hard without sliding right into the deer. I have had newer cars with ABS but drum rear brakes. It just felt like it stopped faster than those cars were able to, of course with the adrenaline flowing from the panic of almost hitting the deer my perception could have been a little off. 

9/23/2018 5:59 PM  #25

Discs are much more effective brakes than drums.  They generate significantly more apply pressure without lockup compared to drums.  When cars had disc/drum systems the front did about 90% of the braking because so little force could be applied to the rear to keep them from locking up and inducing a rear skid.  Rear discs allow the rears to do considerably more work, and thus cars stop much shorter with disc/disc systems. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.