FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2018 12:02 AM  #1

AFR gauge

Since I am going to be under the car fixing clutch issues I thought it would be a good time to weld in an exhaust bung.I saw reference to an analog style afr gauge and that makes good sense to me. A sweeping needle is probably better and easier to read than a constantly changing digital display. Having said that, whose gauge would you recommend? I realize that I can probably look back through forums for advise but technology changes so rapidly I thought I would ask. Thank you again.-Brad

9/20/2018 4:44 AM  #2

Re: AFR gauge

To get anything of value out of it you need to datalog it.  Dynamically its going to change too fast for the readings to be of much value otherwise.  The best one out there seems to be made by AEM.  Pretty reasonable too. 

9/20/2018 4:52 AM  #3

I agree on the analog sweep needle type.   And I agree with data logging, otherwise, it'll much like
texting while driving.   You're constantly looking at it.

What I did was tape the gauge at one end of a shoe box and tape a small video camera at the other
end, pointing to the gauge.   I started the camera and went driving.    I know my car well enough that, 
while watching the movie results, I know what gear I'm in and approximate revs.    Crude but pretty
effective.    

Permanently mounting the gauge is dangerous (txting while driving)

9/20/2018 4:54 AM  #4

Hello Brad , 
i used one cheap afr gauge one time , and was useful to nothing , so in your shoes , i will buy a top notch one that really do what payd .
Sayd that, , with a good gauge ,  i think you will see differences in carburation  from summer to winter , and probably you want to tune the carb again . 
Imho i think is less significant compared to others gauges like sharp oil pressure gauge or water temp 
Bye 

9/20/2018 8:50 AM  #5

Of course, there’s always a guy to tell you the opposite : this time it’s me :-D

I use an Autometer needle gauge.
I think it is very useful.
It allows me to make sure my idle is set as I like it,
It allows me to check that everything is ok when I drive at steady speed on the highway...
Of course if you’re doing 1/4 mile race you can’t keep your eyes on it, but on the highway it’s a good security check, I look at it the same way I keep an eye on my water temp.
If you know how to read it, I recommend it.

Be careful, chrome won't get you home!

9/20/2018 11:20 AM  #6

I'm with Uj_SPRT on this. My round AEM digital gauge has a light ring around the circumference which increases in a clockwise rotation with the number increase, and changes color as the number rises. My gauge recently let me know I had a vacuum leak which I couldn't hear. WHAT?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/20/2018 11:54 AM  #7

https://ibb.co/cBkmCK

Last edited by Uj-SPRT (9/20/2018 11:54 AM)

Be careful, chrome won't get you home!

9/20/2018 6:20 PM  #8

I have an Innovative Motorsports AFR gauge on my Mustang race car. It is great! I have lowered my lap times a lot since I got it and actually it got me a pole position at my last race. It is digital and has the led ring around it so you can see how fast it is changing so it is pretty easy to glance at and know where you are. I do a free air calibration every race and it has been very accurate even with leaded fuel. I do put in a new sensor each season. It has allowed me to fine tune mid range and high range with jets and secondary throttle plate timing. Now I have the pull off the corners I need and an amazing high end!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.