FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/30/2018 8:47 AM  #1

Painting process questions

So I’ve continued work on my 66 coupe and I’ve started patching in panels on the car, my dilemma though is that I was originally going to just work on the car one section at a time covering it with epoxy primer as I finished each area, but I’ve been reading that you can’t use body filler over epoxy primer or that epoxy has to be the first thing on the car. This would be ok if the car could stay inside but I have to keep it outside and winters headed here pretty soon. Since this is the case I am just looking for a straight answer on what I can put over epoxy and if it’s even the best thing to be using as i patch my car

10/30/2018 9:27 AM  #2

Re: Painting process questions

Epoxy really should be applied to bare metal from what I've read.  You should use an etch wash containing phosphoric acid prior to shooting the epoxy.  You could use an etching primer, but the active etching ingredient in etching primer is phosphoric acid, so to my mind its easier to wipe on a liquid and tack cloth the car down rather than mix and shoot ANOTHER coat of paint.  You may be able to shoot it over a sealer though.You can absolutely use filler over epoxy primer, in fact that's how most shops would do it.  The issue you get with filler over bare metal is that filler can absorb moisture.  If there's any way for moisture to get in (including absorbing it from the air) the filler will corrode the underlying metal, swell, and eventually fail.  The other consideration is that epoxy is going to create a better bond to bare metal than the filler, then the filler creates a better bond to the epoxy than to bare metal.   My advice would be to go to the local store selling automotive paints and ask them these questions for the particular products you are going to use.  The biggest mistake people make is using products from different manufacturers which are incompatible.  I've seen fresh, beautiful paint that cost thousands of dollars come off my buddy's Impala in sheets because of this. 

10/30/2018 2:48 PM  #3

The epoxy primer is the best solution  , unfortunately the outside storage is not good .
for sure moisture will work on panels not painted or not reachable . 
To answer at your question i will go on with primer without filler. 
you  cant use filler and leave as is all the winter , outside . will  cracks or never dry .
i will leave to paint shop the filler job . 
bye

12/10/2018 10:11 PM  #4

I'd check out the SPI epoxy

12/11/2018 11:07 AM  #5

You sure can use body filler over epoxy you just want to rough the area ap that you have mechanical and chemical adhesion. Usually its SOP to use 80grit sand paper to rough the area that you using filler. Then use 2 to 3 coats of epoxy over repairs. It is also normal to a shadow from the filler  behind your coats of epoxy.

12/11/2018 2:09 PM  #6

Definitely use SPI Epoxy! I stripped my 66 coupe down to bare metal using aircraft stripper then a DA with 80 grit. Cleaned it well then shot one panel at a time with SPI Epoxy. That stuff is tough! I've sat tools on it, who knows how many kinds of chemicals have been dripped or dropped on it, but it's still tough and protecting the car. Like mentioned the Epoxy primer isn't good when left out in the sun as the UV rays will make it chalky. Anyway after it has sat you'll need to scuff it using red scotchbrite before re-coating, applying filler, or paint.

On edit: SPI says you can use the filler over or under the primer, most of the pro painters on the SPI forum put filler *over* the epoxy. Just FYI.

Last edited by Raymond_B (12/11/2018 2:11 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.