FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2018 10:37 PM  #1

Car Listing to One Side

1966 Mustang Coupe, 5.0 HO, T5z

One step forward, two steps back...
All new suspension front and back.  Finished the brakes today.  While test fitting the new 17 inch wheels I noticed the ride was listing to one side. 

I'm clueless here.  Everything is new.  It's not a terrible list but noticeable.  What could cause this?  Where do I start? The plan was to get the subframe kit installed and then the custom exhaust but looks like that is on hold pending getting this suspension issue resolved.  

11/11/2018 11:07 PM  #2

Re: Car Listing to One Side

Spring rates up front are much higher than the rear, so I would look up front first.

Give everything a good look over with a fine toothed comb.  Maybe a spring isn't sitting the same on the perch on both sides.  Slightly different upper control arms?  Spring perches? Springs?   I'd just start measuring components when the car sits to try and figure out what is up.

11/12/2018 5:50 AM  #3

Has the car been driven on the new suspension?  If not the springs haven't settled, so what you're seeing may not even be real.

11/12/2018 8:38 AM  #4

TKOPerformance wrote:

Has the car been driven on the new suspension?  If not the springs haven't settled, so what you're seeing may not even be real.

I agree w/TKO.  You can try bouncing the front and rear with the car at a standstill, and/or drive it around, through some dips and raises to let things settle out.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/12/2018 8:49 AM  #5

The good news it seems to be a common problem.  I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and see how it goes.  Will keep the car on the tires and hope it settles right.  I'm going to go ahead and order the new tires and do an eyeball alignment before installing the subframe.

Sure did feel good to see the ride on proper wheels.

11/12/2018 9:08 AM  #6

Was the car sitting with weight on the suspension for final tightening of the leaf springs front eye bolts and shackles? If not, could take some driving miles to settle.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/12/2018 10:12 AM  #7

yep I have this issue too. redone the whole front end I still got it... LOL .. now I am suspecting my rear suspension!! 

Well.. to be honest.. I have come to terms with the issue being the fat guy sitting in the drivers seat in my car.. so..

.. good luck! let me know if you figure it out

:D

Last edited by Gaba (11/12/2018 10:13 AM)

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

11/12/2018 1:57 PM  #8

i agree that car need to be rolled and not only around the house . 
Honestly i will never take as good a measurement taken this way  . 

11/12/2018 3:46 PM  #9

Another thing to consider, whenever attempting to check anything chassis wise is whether or not the surface the car is sitting on is itself level.  In other words, if the concrete floor in the garage falls away to one side I would expect the chassis not to read level.  Concrete is almost never perfectly flat, and garages typically have some inclination to allow water drainage towards the door.  Exterior concrete is supposed to be pitched 1/4" per foot.  Then you've got settlement, etc.

When I built my chassis stands for sitting a car on its tires 4' off the ground (so I can roll around under it on a stool for doing subframe connectors, etc). I found the low spot in my shop floor and built that first stand 4' tall.  Then I leveled across each direction and built each successive stand slightly shorter to account for the floor.  A level placed from stand to stand in any direction reads perfectly level on the surfaces where the tires sit.  This way I know when I weld the subframe connectors to the chassis the chassis is not twisted or bound in any way. 

When I used to use jackstands, etc. I would place shims under the stands or tires as needed to get it level.  Some scrap 1'x1' pieces of plywood in 3/4", 1/2", 1/4", etc. made it fairly easy.  I had some 1-3/4"x11-7/8" LVL that worked great when I needed to make up for a big difference. 

Just something else to consider. 

11/12/2018 4:01 PM  #10

I thought all Mustangs were lower on the left side!  Mine was that way with old springs and suspension and that way with new.   Not saying it's the cause but fuel tank not centered.  As we all know from doing exhaust it's tight on the left side.

Maybe lower on left to compensate for crown in the road, just trowing that out there

11/12/2018 4:19 PM  #11

might be the rear shackles are not set correctly. they should both be be angled like a forward slash on a keyboard. Top closer to front and bottom that attaches to leaf spring toward rear of car. Just a thought

11/12/2018 6:55 PM  #12

what about the alignment?
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/17/2018 12:01 PM  #13

Move tremendouswand to other side of car and recheck.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

11/17/2018 7:30 PM  #14

I don't see it. Turn the legal around.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/18/2018 10:28 AM  #15

From the gaps in the photo, the trunk lid you have the level sitting on looks higher on the driver side than the other.
 I would not touch anything till you have a few thousand miles on it.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/18/2018 2:09 PM  #16

Have you tried measuring?  Measure the distance from the middle of the rear wheel wells to the ground.  Even with a slanted slab they should be approximately the same.   And, yes I am very aware of the dimensional variences in construction of our cars.

All those horizontal lines of the house roof, bumper, rear valence, and trunk lid can mess with your eyes.

If you are really worried, go to a body shop that has a flat table, and them measure it for you.  The few bucks they would charge would verify what is actually there and maybe assuage your fears. That's what I did when installing my subframe connectors.  Since I don't weld, I had the body shop level the chassis before welding it in.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (11/18/2018 2:12 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/18/2018 6:00 PM  #17

Leaf spring leafs bind against each other, and that affects ride height, especially on new springs.  Douse them good between the leafs with some silicone lube and then drive the heck out of it.  I bet they settle out even.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.