FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2018 9:57 AM  #1

Alignment issues

A few years back I overhauled the front suspension on my 67 coupe and done the Shelby drop. I've had issues ever since. I hauled the car to a alignment shop, but driving after I left, I could tell it wasn't right. It was walking pretty bad. I have recently took a magnet based digital degree gauge and bought a toe plate kit and tried to do the adjustments myself after getting the idea from a previous post off of this site awhile back. It's better than it was but still not right. It still wants to walk. Prior to doing the suspension overhaul, it tracked fine going down the road, but hasn't been right since. I put wider tires on it during that transition but wouldn't think it would affect it that much. I used Daze's alignment specs and used a template for the Shelby drop. I don't think the steering box is bad but could be wrong. It was perfectly fine before the overhaul. If anybody has suggestions, I'm all ears. I liked to be to enjoy driving it again.

11/13/2018 10:22 AM  #2

Re: Alignment issues

You have to start with basics.  Those magnet digital degree gauges are okay for some things, but I wouldn't trust it for this.  Get yourself a Fasttrax gauge.  Check your camber.  So long as its close move directly to setting caster.  You want a little more on the right side (like 1/4 degree or so) to account for road crown and keep the car tracking straight on most roads.  You want as much caster as you can get, probably right around 3.5 degrees positive with the drop geometry. 

Then set camber to 0 to 0.5 degrees negative. 

Then set toe to 1/16" toe in per side (shorter front measurement than rear by 1/8" total).  First though you need to center the steering.  This is best done by ensuring the tie rods are equal length.  If in the end the steering wheel is off you can just clock it so its centered.  These cars were marked for center at the factory, but over the years most likely the wheel's been removed and recentered by an alignment shop that didn't know what they were doing. 

The wider tires, if they are on different wheels, could have an effect depending on if the offset has changed, because this affects the Akerman angle. 

11/13/2018 11:38 AM  #3

I'd start by checking the toe. It sounds to me like you have toe out. Does it "walk" all the time, or during braking?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/13/2018 1:27 PM  #4

I just set the toe with the toe plates that have the tape measures on both sides

11/13/2018 1:32 PM  #5

The walk is mostly affected by the bumps in the road. It almost feels like play in the steering, but when its parked you can rock the wheel and get good response.

11/13/2018 1:37 PM  #6

TKO I set pretty much specs you speak of. I didn't have turning plates. Just used two pieces of sheet metal with some oil in between. When I was adjusting the caster, I didn't turn the wheels 20 degrees like I've seen that you with the fastrax. Is that crucial?

11/13/2018 4:48 PM  #7

Yes.  The only way to set caster is to take two readings with the wheel turned 20 degrees out and 20 degrees in.  On the Fasttrax you turn 20 degrees out and zero the gauge, then turn 20 degrees in an you have a direct reading.  Doing it with an angle finder you have to subtract one reading from the other.  Again, not as accurate, and using turn plates without degree marks how do you know how many degrees you were turning?

The at home methods can be very accurate, BUT it all boils down to the tools you're using and how well you know how to use them.  I used other methods in the past, including angle gauges, but ultimately found them to have spotty, unrepeatable accuracy.  They were also time consuming.  With the turn plates and Fasttrax gauge I can do an aligment in a matter of a couple hours now. 

11/13/2018 5:22 PM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

The only way to set caster is to take two readings with the wheel turned 20 degrees out and 20 degrees in.   

Not really. You can check & set caster from the upper and lower ball joint threads.

11/13/2018 6:43 PM  #9

rpm wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

The only way to set caster is to take two readings with the wheel turned 20 degrees out and 20 degrees in.   

Not really. You can check & set caster from the upper and lower ball joint threads.

Not familiar with that method, could you explain

Last edited by Grabber Blu (11/13/2018 6:44 PM)

11/13/2018 8:41 PM  #10

I cut and notched a tube to rest against the threads of the ball joints. I used a spacer for the digital level to clear the spindle, and set the level to get the camber angle. I'm at 5.5° camber.

This method doesn't care which direction the wheels are pointed. It may not be kosher or perfect, but my car handles pretty darn well, and runs true at 130 mph.

Last edited by rpm (11/13/2018 8:43 PM)

11/13/2018 10:41 PM  #11

Since it appears from the pic you have cobra brakes using MustangSteve brackets, you can simply place a level along the bottom of the bracket, which is perfectly horizontal at zero degrees caster.  Any deviation from that is the actual caster amount.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/13/2018 11:14 PM  #12

I could measure that way if only I was as ingenious as the guy who designed  the MustangSteve brackets. Those in the pic are the first disc brake brackets I made for my 69 disc spindles.  The second set I made and currently using are on 70 drum spindles. Unfortunately neither set were designed with the proper angled surface.

11/14/2018 5:03 PM  #13

Grabber Blu wrote:

rpm wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Not familiar with that method, could you explain

For the right front wheel: With the wheels centered on turn plates you turn the wheel until the turn plate reads 20 degrees turning right, take a caster reading.  Now turn the wheel until it reads 20 degrees turning to the left.  The difference between the two readings is the caster.  Obviously its the opposite method for the left front wheel.  Then you just subtract the first measurement from the second, so for example, if the first measurement was 3.5 degrees negative and the second was 7 degrees positive; the caster angle would be 3.5 degrees positive. 

If you have a digital gauge you can zero its even easier.  Just turn the wheel out and zero the gauge.  Turn in an note the reading; that's the caster angle. 

The first method works if you have really simple tools, and I used it many years ago before I bought better tools.  It works, but is slower and the accuracy is somewhat suspect, not because of the method, but because of the tools typically used to measure the angle.  Better tools render it unnecessary, and I've never directly compared the two methods to verify the relative accuracy of the first method. 

The second method is how I do it with the Fasttrax gauge, which can be zeroed, and has a caster scale specifically for this purpose in addition to the camber scale. 

Certainly you can measure directly off the balljoints, or on other reference points on specific setups.  Truthfully this would never occur to me because I have to be able to align a half dozen different vehicles in my fleet of differing years, makes, and models.  Therefore the simplest way for me is to put the vehicle on the turn plates and affix the Fasttrax gauge.  There's nothing vehicle specific to remember other than how to make adjustments.  Basic KISS principle. 

11/16/2018 1:32 PM  #14

I've had similar problems.  I know that the local alignment shop does a good job on the classics but my suspension is like most others - it does not settle until after it's driven.

When they do the alignment for caster and camber, they jack up the front end to get the shims in.  When they let it back down it's not where it should be so they can't set the toe correctly.  I have an arrangement with my shop that they'll do the caster and camber, then I'll bring it back for the toe (and caster and camber check) after I've driven it and the suspension has settled back down to where it should be.

Last edited by John Ha (11/16/2018 1:36 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

11/16/2018 2:07 PM  #15

rpm wrote:

I could measure that way if only I was as ingenious as the guy who designed the MustangSteve brackets. Those in the pic are the first disc brake brackets I made for my 69 disc spindles. The second set I made and currently using are on 70 drum spindles. Unfortunately neither set were designed with the proper angled surface.

They don't have to be at the proper angle.  ANY angle will work, as long as both sides are same.  Just determine what that angle is and convert accordingly.  Then you can calculate caster from a direct reading.  Camber is direct read from angle finder placed on back side of brake rotor.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/16/2018 7:55 PM  #16

Sheesh, how do I miss the obvious? You're pretty sharp there Steve, ever thought of being an engineer? Mucho thanks.

11/17/2018 5:24 AM  #17

John Ha wrote:

I've had similar problems.  I know that the local alignment shop does a good job on the classics but my suspension is like most others - it does not settle until after it's driven.

When they do the alignment for caster and camber, they jack up the front end to get the shims in.  When they let it back down it's not where it should be so they can't set the toe correctly.  I have an arrangement with my shop that they'll do the caster and camber, then I'll bring it back for the toe (and caster and camber check) after I've driven it and the suspension has settled back down to where it should be.

Yep, you can't do those adjustments with the car unloaded or they won't be accurate.  What I've done is a jack under each LCA going up at the same time, pull the wheel, make your adjustment, put the wheel back on.  Time consuming, but its yielded acceptable results.  That's how I have to do my WRX because the camber is adjusted at the strut to spindle bolts and there's no access with the wheel in place.  Otherwise it is adjust, drive the car around the block, check, and readjust if necessary.  And, yep, without caster being right there's no point is setting camber, and without caster & camber being right there's no point in setting toe.  Its all interrelated, so start with caster, then camber, then toe or you end up chasing your tail. 

11/17/2018 7:40 AM  #18

Something to consider ... If your steering box is original, it could worn a bit and require a slight adjustment to the 'sector shaft' adjustment screw.  This condition will impact the 'play' in the steering wheel that may not be obvious to the driver.  This screw is on top of the steering box with a lock nut.  To adjust, loosen the lock nut, and turn screw clockwise to tighten, be careful making this adjustment, maybe a 1/4 turn clockwise.  Check the full lock-to lock travel of the steering as the steering gear will wear most in the mid-position.  If tightened too much it can cause the steering to be too tight at the end turn, forcing the driver to pull the wheel back to center.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/19/2018 9:23 AM  #19

John Ha wrote:

When I’ve do my alignments on my 66 I used 3 mil thick plastic garbage bags folded up under the tires. This allows the necessary slip the suspension needs to settle. I also bounce it a couple times. When I need to fool around with shims I loosen the upper arm bolts. With the weight on the suspension I turn the wheel both ways to get access to the control arm bolts and use a big screw driver or something to pull the shaft away and slip in the shims.

It’s really not hard to do your own alignment. I never did them before. One day I stopped and thought if I can do all this work, why not alignment? And why not? The Ford shop manual is a great source of info on doing it. My very first alignment the steering wheel was dead center and the car drove great. I didn’t have to go back and make any changes. The hardest part is just taking the time to paying attention to details.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

11/19/2018 4:03 PM  #20

Its one of those things that people regard as a black art until they've actually done it.  I used to think that way when I was younger.  The same with automatic transmissions, until I rebuilt a couple and discovered nothing in them came from Roswell.  There are more parts than in a manual and a system of control that a manual doesn't have, but they make perfect sense if you look at the parts and see how they work.  Alignment is no different. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.