FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2018 6:47 AM  #1

Mufflers for my 66

I have a GT40P with a 5.0 cam in my 66. I’m using off the shelf MAC long tube headers. I just received my MAC exhaust system. It’s a 2.50” mandrel bent system with a H pipe. Very nice exhaust. MAC sells their own mufflers which seem to get very good reviews.  My original plans were to use Walker Dynomax. I have them on my current 2” factory style exhaust. I do like the sound and I know as a muffler they make great power.

I like to be open minded and check out the MAC mufflers. Searching on YouTube, they seem to sound similar to other chambered mufflers. I’m not so sure I’m looking for the late model 5.0 sound. Anyone have experience with the MAC Flowpath?

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

11/21/2018 11:40 AM  #2

Re: Mufflers for my 66

In my experience the Dynomax mufflers were too quiet. A friend's flowpath system was Super LOUD.

11/21/2018 11:53 AM  #3

Not to side track you Tom, but several guys here are quite happy with the Walker Quiet-Flow 3 Mufflers, part #21856.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/21/2018 12:52 PM  #4

rpm wrote:

Not to side track you Tom, but several guys here are quite happy with the Walker Quiet-Flow 3 Mufflers, part #21856.

I’m really was planning on the Walker mufflers. I just wanted to do due diligence in checking everything out.

I was checking them out on YouTube and of course you really can’t get first hand info but they did sound loud and like a late model Mustang with Flowmaster. Isn’t what I’m looking for. Thanks for the PN on the Walkers

11/21/2018 6:14 PM  #5

One more thang............going from 2" pipes to 2 1/2" WILL make a diff in sound.  Be a little louder.
X/H pipes will change the sound too.  I found out (a little late in my case) that X-pipes tend to smooth out the exhaust note. Takes away (some of)the chop a snotty idling camshaft tends to make.
My advice......."Leave the gun.....get the canolies"...............
I mean uhhhhh......forget the X/H-pipes and enjoy the sound your engine makes with the 2 1/2" pipes
6sally6
PS......I realize I didn't tell you anything new.....butt I just wanted to get in on the post!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/21/2018 7:15 PM  #6

I'm using Magneflow SS, 2.5"/2.5", part #11226 and long tube headers.  I satisfied these are not too loud, but others have different opinions ... although my hearing may be going! 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/21/2018 9:37 PM  #7

Just don't understand why you need mufflers!

11/22/2018 4:40 PM  #8

Looking at my old mufflers, the body is 14” long and over all length is 19”. The Caddy mufflers are 19” body and 23” overvall. I’m hoping I have enough room especially with the larger bends of the 2.5” tubing. I’ll have to mock up the piping and see what I have to work with.

11/23/2018 9:48 AM  #9

I'm probably the only one on here running Flowmasters but I really like them. I put FM 50s on it because they claimed they don't drone and they don't! However they weren't quite as loud as I would have liked but I've noticed that as time goes by they've gotten louder. If you want loud the FM40s are the way to go. My son has them on his 04 GT and you can hear him comin a mile away. Mine has 2 1/4 pipes with an H pipe and long tube headers, 289 in a 66 coupe. So if you are willing to give up a little loud for a drone less ride I'ld recommend the FM50s.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

11/23/2018 11:35 AM  #10

The only thing I don't like about the 40s is the drone, It gets old real quick.

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

11/23/2018 6:09 PM  #11

I have the 40's and the last time I had my headers closed off.....they did NOT drone butt......I ran the pipes all the way to the rear bumper. When they dumped just behind the rear axle.........they were pretty rough.
According to tests...FM are  one of the MOST restrictive mufflers on the market.  So don't use them if the last drop of power is important to you.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/23/2018 6:40 PM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

I have the 40's and the last time I had my headers closed off.....they did NOT drone butt......I ran the pipes all the way to the rear bumper. When they dumped just behind the rear axle.........they were pretty rough.
According to tests...FM are  one of the MOST restrictive mufflers on the market.  So don't use them if the last drop of power is important to you.
6s6

Sal, I’m gonna have to call b.s. on this one. Some models of Flowmaster are advertised as being less restrictive than open exhaust. Show us your research. Convince me.

11/23/2018 7:01 PM  #13

bearcat wrote:

The only thing I don't like about the 40s is the drone, It gets old real quick.

That's why I went with the 50s. Not as loud as the 40s but zero drone and a really nice rumble.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

11/23/2018 9:49 PM  #14

Hornman wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6s6

Sal, I’m gonna have to call b.s. on this one. Some models of Flowmaster are advertised as being less restrictive than open exhaust. Show us your research. Convince me.

Gonna hafta trust me on this one Ron.   I can't find it. Whether it was David Vizard or some other "guru"  They stated  (according to their tests)  FlowMaster had a GREAT ad campaign but  when compared to other performance mufflers they came up lacking.....big time!
Seems like Spin Tech, Super Trapp, and Magna Flow were in the top. Magna Flow actually flowed  1 or 2 HP better than open exhaust. (hmmmm...head scratch...eye roll)
One of the big surprises of the test was  Thrush!!  It scored in the top 5.
All this comes from a 70 year old memory sooooo......
I remembered it because I installed these FM 40's thinking  it was a low restriction  muff and then I found out I made a terrible choice!!

11/24/2018 12:07 PM  #15

Trust me... that’s a lot like Hold My Beer isn’t it?

11/24/2018 1:46 PM  #16

Huskinhano wrote:

Looking at my old mufflers, the body is 14” long and over all length is 19”. The Caddy mufflers are 19” body and 23” overvall. I’m hoping I have enough room especially with the larger bends of the 2.5” tubing. I’ll have to mock up the piping and see what I have to work with.

You have at least as much room as my 66 has, and they fit fine on it. You have to install them at an angle, but it works well. Cut off the excess tubing from the muffler before installing.  I leave 3/8” to 1/2”.  Just enough to weld to, or expand a bit, if necessary.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/24/2018 6:42 PM  #17

I’m on another board where one of the members was a retired Chrysler exhaust system engineer. He said the Flowmasters were not very good. He had said the Dynomax flowed very well. He also mentioned what surprised him was the rolled lips on chrome tail pipe extenicost something like 5 hp

11/24/2018 8:06 PM  #18

The fit, finish and cost of my Dynomax mufflers was great. But being born in 1956, I didn't enjoy yelling at the passenger for them to hear me over the straight thru design of the muffs. That and a drone at 1k rpm convinced me to remove them. I'm sold on the Walker Caddy mufflers regardless of lost hp.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/27/2018 11:45 AM  #19

I would like to take a survey, because I have a theory on who likes their car to go down the highway quietly and who likes it really loud.

Have you driven your car on a long road trip, like going to a bash?  If so, do you enjoy loud mufflers that stifle conversation and create drone, just for the joy of hearing the engine roar?

Do you enjoy a quieter, more civilized, but still a performance sound?

My hypothesis is those who have really loud cars only drive them to local events for a short distance, and they enjoy hearing the sound of the engine more than a need for conversation.

I know we have one long hauler that goes for the loudness, even though others in the car don't care for it.  What is your situation?  I am not biased either way.  It is your car and you can have it as loud as you want as long as it doesn't wake me up from my bed!  I like loud too, for a few minutes, but can't tolerate it on a long trip.
Make a reply post and let us know what your preference is, and if you take your car on long road trips.  Like 300 miles or more in a day.

11/27/2018 12:34 PM  #20

MS why not start a new thread for the survey? could be easier to find later!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/27/2018 11:00 PM  #21

You can call me  weeny butt.....I cap my exhaust up when going on a long trip.  ALTHOUGH!..for short around town trips I prefer a....."more robust" tone!
6s6

11/28/2018 10:16 AM  #22

I will start a new thread for exhaust comments. Please post there once I get it organized.

11/29/2018 6:33 AM  #23

rpm wrote:

The fit, finish and cost of my Dynomax mufflers was great. But being born in 1956, I didn't enjoy yelling at the passenger for them to hear me over the straight thru design of the muffs. That and a drone at 1k rpm convinced me to remove them. I'm sold on the Walker Caddy mufflers regardless of lost hp.

rpm, 56 for me too. Im pretty much in agreement with you.I drove my friend’s 66 that had Flowmaster 40’s with 2.50” tailpipe going out to the bumper. I couldn’t believe how loud it was. Between the drone and how loud it was like ice picks being shoved in my ears. At this moment, meaning I’m not at the point of buying them, only looking, the Summit muffler is in the running. I talked with a tech, he wasn’t sure who makes them for Summit but guess Walker. Both are made in USA. He said all the turbo mufflers are going to perform about the same.

I am concerned that they will be on the loud side. I would rather have something like the Caddy but I’m going to wait until I can get the H pipe and tail pipe in and see how much room I have. That’ll be the determining factor. I will see if I can mount mufflers at a angle to clear the floor pan but who knows on the radius of the tail pipe bends will take away room.

If it comes down to having to use a muffler with a body of 14” and over all of 19”, it’s not going to leave me with too many options.

11/29/2018 4:03 PM  #24

I have flowmaster 40s on my 67 that dump in front of the rear axle without a x or h pipe. I'm looking to eventually have it redone adding a x or h pipe and still dumped in front of the rear axle. The flowmasters have a little bit more drone than I like. I've thought about trying a different muffler, but not sure which I want to try. I'd like to have a loud sound on acceleration but without the strong drone while cruising.

11/29/2018 6:55 PM  #25

Tom.......I had a pair of the Summit brand turbo muffs several years ago. They were pretty quiet even though they dumped in front of the axle. (no X-pipe)  So quiet...I swapped them for the Blowmaster 40's.
I have them installed now with an X-pipe and exiting at the rear bumper. They are NOT loud and no drone (my ears can detect). Now....I have added sound dampening in the trunk and  behind the back seat. Also under the back seat and double thickness carpet and that stick-on water proofing stuff throughout the cabin area as well as sound dampening in the doors.
You ever come to the beach I will give you a ride.
6sal6

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.