FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2018 8:35 AM  #1

Steering products quality

I’m looking at steering components for the 65 i6 to v8 swap and was wondering about the dust boots on tie rods. I’m seeing some with dust boots that look like they are just a cap and they slide right over the stud. Yet originals look to have the boots almost pressed in? Is there any disadvantage to the ones that have the dust boot caps? If anything, it seems to me that it would just allow more dust and grime to come in contact with the grease. They also seem to be a little cheaper for the most part..

11/27/2018 9:46 AM  #2

Re: Steering products quality

On suspension parts I typically only buy top end MOOG or NAPA parts.  They carry a lifetime warranty and are well made.  The cheaper stuff is just that; cheap.  Made in the far east and with questionable metallurgy like everything made there.  So, yes, in my opinion with this stuff you get exactly what you pay for and I am never afraid to pay the premium for the premium parts. 

11/27/2018 10:31 AM  #3

I was just referring to the style of dust boot. It seems as though the “cap” style could possibly lead to more dirt/debris to come in contact with the tie rod grease as opposed to say the pressed n type that came on the vintage tie rods. The Moog one shown below is showing the cap style I am speaking of. Wasn’t sure if it was anything to really be concerned about or not. Definitely don’t plan on going with cheap components.

11/27/2018 11:13 AM  #4

The MOOG caps fit pretty tight.  Remember, they get held in place pretty tight once the tie rod gets bolted to the spindle.  I think the newer design works fine, as they provide more movement than the old pressed on seals.  You won't be disappointed in MOOG.  It is better for a little leakage to occur than to have a fully greased tie rod boot burst from internal pressure.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/27/2018 11:42 AM  #5

MS wrote:

The MOOG caps fit pretty tight.  Remember, they get held in place pretty tight once the tie rod gets bolted to the spindle.  I think the newer design works fine, as they provide more movement than the old pressed on seals.  You won't be disappointed in MOOG.  It is better for a little leakage to occur than to have a fully greased tie rod boot burst from internal pressure.

Good point on the internal pressure of a sealed boot. Something I didn’t consider.

11/27/2018 1:10 PM  #6

I'm also betting that any debris or water infiltration on a car like this is going to be minimal.  We all hit the occasional spot of water on the road, dusty conditions, etc., but I'm betting that like me you try your best not to drive the car in the rain, wouldn't dream of fording a flooded road in it, and stay away from gravel roads. 

11/29/2018 11:04 AM  #7

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. There’s very little if any pressure externally that would force junk under the boot. About the only way for debris to get in is if there’s a crack or part of it missing. Just buy top quality parts and you’re fine.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.