FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/28/2018 10:33 AM  #1

Let's talk car insurance

I've been looking into whether collector car insurance is a good fit for my 65 FB.  I've looked at Haggerty, Grundy, AMIG and others.  These plans are agreed value, which is attractive since blue book for our cars is ridiculous.  On the other hand, these plans can have use restrictions.  Typically their web sites make general statements about use restrictions such as the car not being a daily driver, or that it has to be kept in a locked garage when not in use which would make vacation trips problematic.  So I'd like to do a survey of what insurance you guys use - regular unrestricted use insurance like State Farm, Farmers, GEICO, etc., or specialty classic car insurance.  And if you don't mind relaying what your experience has been - good or bad.  Thanks.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

11/28/2018 12:14 PM  #2

Re: Let's talk car insurance

Hagarty since 2005.  Never had a claim but called them for towing once...quick and painless.  As far as restrictions, they never asked about mileage.  Generally they like around 2500 miles/year as I recall but they also don't get excited if you use the car more long as it's for "car related" stuff...like the Bash, car shows, or just plain pleasure cruising.  Last time I jacked up the agreed value they asked for some pix but that should be no problem.  As for the locked garage, they just want to be sure it's not setting out behind the barn, rotting with a $20K agreed value on it...can't blame them.  As for traveling, I can't believe they would make an issue about the car being in a motel parking lot overnight.
Mainly, they don't want to insure real daily drivers that set out in the weather and spend their days in parking lot.  They want to insure classic vehicles that are treated and used as such.

State Farm now offers "agreed value" but I'm betting the restrictions are similar.

I'd say call 'em...ask, get answers before you buy.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/28/2018 1:48 PM  #3

Pretty much what BB said.

jkordzi wrote:

I've looked at Haggerty, Grundy, AMIG and others.  These plans are agreed value, which is attractive since blue book for our cars is ridiculous. 

Ridiculous as in low? I've found NADA, KBB and the Haggerty numbers to be acceptable when I run the numbers yearly.

If you choose a standard auto policy, you're getting one that says your vehicle is insured for its actual cash value (acv) just prior to the loss or damage. Getting the owner/ claimant and insurance company to agree on its value is from where horror stories come.

After looking into agreed value policies, I chose to keep my standard auto policy with Auto Club. Having been an insurance auto adjuster for some years, I'm pretty sure I have the skills to support the value I believe my 69 has.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the rear end damage member Kelly_H had some years back. She has a standard acv policy on her 65. While she didn't collect damages from her policy, as she was a claimant on the other parties policy, her car had to have an acv high enough to allow repair damages to replace the back half of her Mustang. Her claim surely wasn't as easy as if she'd had an agreed value policy and gone thru her own carrier, but it can be done.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/28/2018 4:11 PM  #4

First, before getting ANY insurance have an appraisal done on the car.  It's going to cost you like $200-$250, but you can use this as the basis for the stated value. 

Second, I have mine insured through State Farm.  No limitations, though it is not a primary vehicle for anyone in the household, and it is a collector type policy.  I think I pay about $200 a year for it, and the value, which this reminds me I should get updated, is stated at $26,500.  That appraisal was from some years ago, and I think the car is worth more now with the work I've done to it in the past 5 years. 

11/28/2018 4:36 PM  #5

I have AMIG . I like them cause they do not restrict the mileage for me on how many miles I can drive it... claims are easy too.. done windsheild fix, and multiple tows! all were great! The online address change and such isnt as intuitive.. but thats it.

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

11/28/2018 11:07 PM  #6

Right now it’s insured through Allstate. No mileage restrictions, not classified as a DD, no agreed value either. There was a value of up to $25K for car and $25K for added Hotrod parts that I opted for. Pricing is about $650 every six months. God only knows what it would take to get that much out of them if something happens to the car.

Allstate can write Hagerty, but my agent has not provided a quote after asking twice, he’s had his chance.  An online Hagerty quote for agreed value north of the $50K from Allstate and 5000 miles a year came back at about the same as Allstate. An online Grundy quote with the same parameters was about half of the other two. Still haven’t made the time to talk to a person about either.

There’s still odd and ends to complete before it’s ready for an appraisal, but my spread sheet from parts and labor I’ve actually paid should come in handy for an agreed value determination.

Edit for spelling.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (11/28/2018 11:09 PM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/29/2018 12:06 AM  #7

I have State Farm for my other cars and was advised by my agent that they couldn't match the three quotes I sent them from Haggerty, Grundy and AMIG.  In fact, my agent advised me to go with Haggerty.  None of the three blinked an eye at what I valued it at and none asked for an appraisal.  My only concern is the use limitation.  I'm having a problem getting anything in writing that spells out under what circumstance I'd be covered and when I wouldn't. 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

11/29/2018 1:06 AM  #8

jkordzi wrote:

My only concern is the use limitation.  I'm having a problem getting anything in writing that spells out under what circumstance I'd be covered and when I wouldn't. 

One would think the conditions of use of the insured vehicle would be an important part of the policy and known by both parties. Back in the day when I was in claims, the word was if something went to court on ambiguous wording of the policy, the courts always ruled in favour of the policy holder.

Now rarely did policy language ever get challenged in court, as it takes petty deep pockets to get there. Insurance company lawyers continually change policy language in their favor.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/29/2018 4:56 AM  #9

I went with Haggerty agreed value, no mileage restrictions, secure storage and had to send them photos. I chose them because I have them for my motorcycle.

_Jim_

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.