FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2018 10:12 PM  #1

Dual drilled a test wheel for the mustang today.

I know this will cause panic and or horror with some individuals…. Don't worry… Sound methods were used, trigonometry, a milling machine with a good DRO and some care.

I dual drilled a wheel today.  

Method does not sell their 17x8.5" 4.75"BS wheel in 5 on 4.5". So I made one that was 5 on 5" 5 on 4.5".  I don't really dig the dual drilled look, but it was really the only cheap way to get wheels as big as I can possibly go up front.  Wheel isn't light, but it isn't heavy.  Rated for 2500 lbs so I shouldn't break one.

12/14/2018 10:39 PM  #2

Re: Dual drilled a test wheel for the mustang today.

Those rears look to be out far enough to rub constantly.  Is the view angle off or what?  No fenders mean that I can't tell anything about the front.  Normally, you can't put as wide a front wheel as rear on these cars.

Also, what year?  I can't tell.

Great job re-drilling, tho.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

12/15/2018 12:06 AM  #3

It is a 1971.

As far as how they will fit... It will be close... really close.  The photo might be lying a bit.  I have about 7/8” on one side and 3/4” on the other between the outer edge of the rim and the inner lip of the fender well.  I am going to run 245/45/17 tires that have a section width of 9.6” (when mounted on an 8” rim). From outside lip to outside the Method rims are right at 9.5”, so current guess is that tires will be 1/4” wider than the wheel on each side (10” section width when mounted on an 8.5” rim). Will be close, I do have a panhard rod so that should cut down on any side to side waggle that would get the tires into something.  At least the tread width is only 8.2”. Will know for sure when I get a couple tires mounted!  One thing is for sure, space is a premimum... but the 71-73’s do have a bit of fender well.

12/23/2018 3:08 PM  #4

Got one mounted up. 

Last edited by Bentworker (12/23/2018 6:09 PM)

12/23/2018 5:38 PM  #5

That looks really right.  Don't ya just love doing custom?  Great work.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/23/2018 6:18 PM  #6

Nice work, have you checked the run out? Whose font suspension are you using? One of the benefits of screw in ball joints is more backspace. Kudos.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/23/2018 7:08 PM  #7

Didn't check runout.  The time to check them would have been before I mounted tires.  I used an edge finder on the center bore and did all the math from that point.  Unless there is something wrong (have always been good in the past) with my digital read out or scales on the milling machine all the holes should be within a few thousandths of an inch of where they are supposed to be.  When I do the next 3 wheels I'll mount them up on the hub and check.

Front suspension is a mix match of different stuff.  UCAs and JRI coil over stuff is all from Maier racing.  Lower control arm is Hotchkiss, Strut rod is Total Control.  Pretty happy with the way that mix of parts works together, but I wish I had the latest generation of Mike Maiers upper control arms that have the ball joint more towards the rear of the car for more caster without dragging the LCA so far forward with the strut rod.  Even with the older generation of stuff I'm happy where my alignment is roughed in.

12/23/2018 7:34 PM  #8

No worries, just curious on the run out. I like the offset ball joints, and made my uppers and lowers with 1/2". I get 5° caster with the arms 90° to the frame rails.

Mike Maier has some cool stuff, and is a really nice guy. Keep us updated please.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/23/2018 7:52 PM  #9

On the big stangs, it will more likely rub on the inside (mostly driver side) before the fender

12/27/2018 11:02 PM  #10

Drilled out at 3rd one tonight.

Runout checked, seems reasonable.  Less than the thickness of my fingernail at .013-.014".  I wish I had something with a 5x5" hub so I could check runout with it mounted up on the original holes.  The distance from the lug holes to the center bore varied a little less than .003" total.  

https://youtu.be/kKIMb1V8U_4

Another video if you don't have anything better to do with the next 5 minutes of your life.

https://youtu.be/99GnIWuTGpU

Last edited by Bentworker (12/28/2018 11:06 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.