FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2019 12:50 PM  #1

Antifreeze leak

Hello mustangers. Good afternoon.
After driving, I have 8 to 10 drips of green water dripping from the left front corner of the oil pan gasket.
No water there, right!
So it must be coming from somewhere else, drying up at the source and puddling there until finally draning off. I can't find the leak because it quits. Not a freeze plug they don't look wet. How thick are the are the walls of the water channels of a 289? There are some tiny pebbles of rust in my radiator.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by daily driver (1/14/2019 12:52 PM)

1/14/2019 1:48 PM  #2

Re: Antifreeze leak

Have you checked the water pump weep hole?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/14/2019 2:40 PM  #3

50vert wrote:

Have you checked the water pump weep hole?

That and are you using the bane of Windsor Fords, a chrome t-stat housing?

1/14/2019 3:48 PM  #4

Also possible the timing cover has a hole in it through to the water passage to the water pump.  The castings were often  not great and already a bit porous from the factory.  Over time without regular antifreeze  changes that acidic coolant can eat up the cover internally.  The aluminum is particularly susceptible because its the only aluminum in the system most of the time and aluminum is more susceptible to galvanic corrosion than iron.  In effect the timing cover becomes a consumable anode in the system. 

1/14/2019 5:29 PM  #5

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm not running a chrome Thermostat housing. There are no visible leaks at the water pump gaskets or weep hole. I don't know where the hole is in the timing chain cover. The leak appears to be coming from near the oil pressure sending unit extension or above. I don't see any leaks from the head gasket and that maybe because they already evaporated, I don't know. The actual drip is under the fuel pump and to the left of the oil filter.

1/14/2019 7:43 PM  #6

Possible causes

Intake manifold gasket-there is a passage that dumps water out the front if the gasket is leaking.  Usually results in a puddle on the timing cover.

Gasket between timing covet and block

Timing cover itself

Gasket between timing cover and water pump

Gasket between water pump and water pump backing plate.  Everybody faiks to disassemble a new pump and apply sealer to it.

Water pump-usually the weephole behind pulley.

Freeze plug in front of head.

Freeze plug in block

T-stat housing gasket

HOSE CLAMPS!!!

Remember, the fan can force the coolant to travel a long way.
Check its travel path by coating everything in the area with Wal-Mart brand jock itch spray. It will coat it with a white powder. The coolant with show evidence of traveling in the powder.  It washes off at the car wash when done.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/14/2019 10:43 PM  #7

I bought a mighty vac hand pump years ago with a cap that replaces the radiator cap that I can use to pressurize the system.

With the water topped off, pump it up to about 8-10 PSI and look for water. With the engine compartment at ambient temperature, it’s easier to look around.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/15/2019 6:18 AM  #8

Put a 1/2" wrench on the bolts holding water pump and front cover and check them, I had slight leak  once and all it took was tightening  those bolts. Keep it simple, some times works

1/15/2019 4:46 PM  #9

Thanks everyone, for quick responses! Sound advice in here. I'll try everything you've mentioned and let you know.

1/20/2019 6:52 AM  #10

A couple days of tightening the timing chain cover stopped the little leak.
Thanks everyone.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.