FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2019 7:24 AM  #1

Installing 3G alternator

Have my 3G alternator on and just need to make a few connections to hook it up. Have the pig tail that connects to the two plugs on the alternator, one wire to battery lug of alternator and one wire to harness to energize it.

Need a 175 amp mega fuse to run the battery cable to before the battery side of the solenoid.  Anybody recommend a good one or all about the same ?  plan to mount below the solenoid and run a short 4 ga cable to the mega fuse then another 4ga to solenoid.

any do's or don'ts with this upgrade ?

3/21/2019 9:59 AM  #2

Re: Installing 3G alternator

In choosing the fuse, be sure to get one that has good, solid connections to the cable.  That is pretty much the only thing that separates the good from the Chinese bad.

Do modern cars use a megabigfuse? 

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/21/2019 10:20 AM  #3

MS wrote:

In choosing the fuse, be sure to get one that has good, solid connections to the cable.  That is pretty much the only thing that separates the good from the Chinese bad.

No I don't think so, they use fusable links.
 For me I would rather have a fuse blow  than a piece of wire go thru a melt down.

Last edited by Rudi (3/21/2019 10:23 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/21/2019 1:00 PM  #4

Rudi wrote:

MS wrote:

No I don't think so, they use fusable links.
 For me I would rather have a fuse blow  than a piece of wire go thru a melt down.

Nope, no megafuse on new cars.  I'm 100% with Rudi on the fusible links too.  Gee, would I rather swap a fuse or break out the soldering iron?  Not much of a choice really. 

3/21/2019 2:56 PM  #5

1fststang wrote:

Have my 3G alternator on and just need to make a few connections to hook it up. Have the pig tail that connects to the two plugs on the alternator, one wire to battery lug of alternator and one wire to harness to energize it.

Need a 175 amp mega fuse to run the battery cable to before the battery side of the solenoid.  Anybody recommend a good one or all about the same ?  plan to mount below the solenoid and run a short 4 ga cable to the mega fuse then another 4ga to solenoid.

any do's or don'ts with this upgrade ?

I built my own...purchased the Mega fuse, holder and cable lugs at Oreillys.  I think I got the cable at Lowes....here's a pic for reference....

3/21/2019 3:30 PM  #6

I have mine on the shock tower.  I've had it for at least 15 years with no problems.   It lights up a nice blue color...LOL   I believe I bought it from a Stereo Company on Ebay that sell amps and car stereo's.

3/21/2019 4:00 PM  #7

One of the things a 3g does well, is sensing voltage needs at low revs.
It doesn't do that anywhere near as well when the yellow sense wire is just looped to the output terminal.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/21/2019 5:00 PM  #8

50vert, so your recommendations on the yellow wire placement?

seems like through my net searches I saw a few people make similar comments

3/21/2019 5:36 PM  #9

Its the myth of the one wire alternator.  It allows for one wire hookup, but that simplicity comes at the cost that the alternator has no idea what's really going on in the cars electrical system because all its "seeing" is its own output voltage.

The yellow wire should be connected somewhere downstream, ideally to a circuit that can be highly loaded.  The main power feed in the dash is a good spot. 

3/21/2019 9:00 PM  #10

I'd connect it to the battery side of the solenoid.

3/22/2019 9:34 AM  #11

PA performance has great ways to get the fuse installed, and then tie in your 3G alternator to still trigger the ALT light if it goes out.

I have that setup myself

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

3/22/2019 3:19 PM  #12

As far as to where to connect the yellow sensing wire. What could be the difference between looping it to the battery terminal on the alternator or connecting it to the solenoid. They are only about 3 feet apart, I'd bet it wouldn't even be 1/10 of a volt. If your measuring any more that 1/10 of a volt between the 2 spots you better start cleaning your connections. I always figure the less wires I got running back and forth the better. If the battery is in the trunk then I might change the connection of the sensing wire.

Another thought, why a 175 amp fuse, seems a little large. Even if your alternator is rated at 175 amps, unless you have way to much electronics, you should never hump out 175 amps in these old cars. If your going to put a fuse in, I think something more reasonable like 125 amp. What are other guys using for this.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/22/2019 5:34 PM  #13

I agree with Walt. I have the yellow wire connected to the slternator end of a 6 gage wire that goes to the solenoid.  My alternator charges fine with no issues. I agree there should be negligible voltage difference, and that this is not the best way to wire it, but there is one less wire involved now. If it works like that, I see no reason to add a signal wire. Maybe I am just in the stage of euphoria since my system is actually charging quite well vs anything I ever got out of the original alternator.  I do believe most of my former charging issues were caused by the crappy aftermarket replacement wiring and plugs rather than the type or capacity of the alternator.  I can now run headlights, fog lights AC and stereo, along with a powerful ignition system and the voltage gauge reads 14 volts all the time.

TKO’s suggestion to run the yellow wire to the ignition switch makes more sense, but I am at the ABDFI point in this installation!

Speaking of charging, I will be posting in the tips/how to section on how to convert a Mustang AMP gauge so it actually measures rate of charge rather than just taking up space in the dash.  It involves gutting a Stewart Warner gauge AND a Mustang Amp gauge and making a gauge that is indistinguishable visually from the original, but performs as a Stewart Warner ammeter

3/22/2019 7:37 PM  #14

I used a MIDI 498 series fuse holder. They are a little smaller than the MEGA’s. Buy a brand name fuse like Littelfuse, and get a spare while you are at it to keep in the glove box, just in case. I used a 150A fuse.

Since amp ratings are all over the place for cars, due to wire size, insulation type, length, and temperature of the atmosphere it’s in. I walked a wrecking yard to find the donner car my a alternator was installed on to see what Ford did for wire size and insulation type to match that.

I doubt the battery cables hanging on the wall at parts house will handle the amps from these alternators. Welding cables can hold the amps. But due to the type of insulation, the ampacity greatly reduced by heat. So, buy good wire, check out Wire barn. Sounds like I’m in a soap box!!

I don’t remember what year car you are working on!! It’s alway good info to include when you make a post. Or add it to the signature/ footer of your posts.

The yellow wire should already be routed from the solenoid to the voltage regulator. It can be pulled back to clean up the harness and routed to the alternator or take the short cut mentioned in other posts. The green with red tracer wire is at the voltage regulator. Is can be spliced into wire 35 ( no color on chart) on the 67 charging diagram that routes back to the alternator for the alternator light.
The 3G plays nicely with it. Add a 560 ohm resistor in parallel with the light and the alternator will still charge if the idiot bulb burns out.

God only know what can burn up if you try to make use of the factory alt/amp gauge with a 3G!! The car just wasn’t rated for it. 
If you are using a V belt and get tired of it squealing at start up, buy the HiPo alternator pulley. I had to have mine machined for clearance on the alternator case and a full nut to fasten.

Good luck.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/22/2019 8:17 PM  #15

My car is a 1967 Mustang Fastback

I'm using speed hut gauges and have their voltage gauge. No factory amp meter or anything to worry about.

I also have the American Autowire harness but yet to start install.

I have a March Serpentine belt system on the engine so hopefully no belt squealing.

I'm planning to get my electric fans in place and mostly wired as well as msd box etc then start the new wire harness install.

Seems like most of the info on the net says use 175 amp fuse,   I'll do some research on battery cables and try and get some good ones.

3/22/2019 9:16 PM  #16

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Wire barn carries a type GXL that I used. #6 for the alternator to battery and a #2 from the battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter.

3/24/2019 12:18 PM  #17

I would caution anyone running the yellow sensing to the ignition switch. Especially anyone using original wiring. The regulator is used to maintain proper battery voltage not system voltage. With older smaller gauge wire and old connectors, there could easily be a 1.5 volt difference between the battery and the ignition switch. If you try to maintain 14 volts at the ignition switch you may be overcharging the battery. 

Bolted, I agree # 6 from the alternator is plenty and I've use wire barn for GXL wire. Good for the heat under the hood and for soldering. I'm going to try your HiPo alternator pulley suggestion if I can find one.

MS, I don't know what your charging issues were but would agree, the issue was probably not a smaller older style alternator. The only real draw these old cars have on the alternator is recovering after start and a large stereo upgrade. I don't think you really NEED a large alt until you install a pair of electric fans. And we all know you don't have those. BTW interested in this amp meter upgrade.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/24/2019 2:30 PM  #18

Bought mine through Steve’s Mustang in Waller on advice from MS for the belt squeal.

3/24/2019 5:43 PM  #19

Good suggestion on the GXL insulated wire.  I only use GXL from Allied Cable.  It doesn't "crawl" away from solder like the Auto Zoo crap.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/24/2019 8:35 PM  #20

Bullet Bob wrote:

Good suggestion on the GXL insulated wire.  I only use GXL from Allied Cable.  It doesn't "crawl" away from solder like the Auto Zoo crap.

BB

Learned it from your list!!

3/25/2019 9:36 AM  #21

I ran the yellow sensing wire to the starter solenoid. I agree there won't be any appreciable voltage drop, but my thinking was I want the alternator to maintain voltage at the main power hub.

I use a 150 amp mega, 175 seemed like if I got to the point of blowing that I'd have bigger issues by then.

I have yet to install it, but I acquired a volt guage from rocket man-
https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-volt-all

3/25/2019 11:24 AM  #22

This is how mine is wired except the battery, solenoid and megafuse is in the trunk. In my case the big fuse is also there to keep the battery to alt wire from melt down in case of an accident shorting out the 4 gauge wire which goes to the alt inside the car and through the front right frame rail.

Last edited by Rudi (3/25/2019 11:27 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/25/2019 5:10 PM  #23

MS wrote:

Late 90s trucks used them @ 175A

3/27/2019 6:24 PM  #24

50vert wrote:

MS wrote:

Late 90s trucks used them @ 175A

Good to know!!!  I rarely even open the hood on modern cars

3/27/2019 7:04 PM  #25

Also the Taurus from 96 with a 3g used a 175a ... don't know why ... it's above my pay grade.
It only protects the car from the alt in case of multi diode failure. .......  I think.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.