FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2013 10:18 PM  #26

Re: Tell us about your Mustang or favorite Ford

MustangSteve wrote:

Bullet...  See Hakan's post on how to post pics.  Basically, use the Post Reply link right under the previous post RH lower corner insteadof the Quick post that automatically appears in white.  Then you will have the picture icon in far right bottom to add a pic.  Hakan explains better and has screenshots to walk you through.

MS and Hakan;

Thanks guys, I figgerd it out, just haven't put up any pitchers.  Got a bunch of the digression of the 66 in the camera butt (TS&T) the camera is out in the shop right now.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/03/2013 3:22 PM  #27

My Mustang was a love at first sight.  Actually, I had fallen I love with them when they first came out in spring of 1964.  It was not till early 1966 when I had enough money to purchase one.  It was the final choice against an MGB-GT.  My, then, wife was pregnant and we needed the added space.  There were many heated arguments as to what to get on the car.  She wanted a 6-cyl, auto.  I wanted a k-code, 4-speed.  We compromised on a c-code, 3-speed.  That was the beginning of a long love affair.  I never expected to keep it this long.  5 years was what I thought.
My son was born and we drove from Rome, NY to LA, getting almost exactly 20mpg.  The Old Horse was still young and became my everyday driver.  I ended up with a 50 mile each way commute from Thousand Oaks, Ca to downtown LA on 5th St.  My wife was very close to her family, so we went to their house virtually every weekend for the next 3 years.  My in-laws were about 100 miles away on the other side of LA.  Needless to say I was driving over 600 miles a week.  The miles and years piled up.  I went back to grad school at night.  Needless to say I never saw my wife and son except on the weekends.  The marriage went south and the Old Horse stayed on for obvious financial reasons. 
Over the years it became part of me.  When lonely, I used to go out to it, sit and talk.  It was and is a great listener.  Finances kept me from doing much to it as well as the need for no down time.  I did my own maintenance including learning to rebuild those k-h brake calipers. (It has never since been in a brake shop.)  At 200k it got a new long block and clutch. 
Slowly the bank account increased to the point where could put in a 1” front/3/4” rear sway bar,Monte Carlo bar, Export brace,  and traction masters.  Handling was much improved.  Then, in 1983 I remarried.  Now with the extra income there was some money left over to do some improvements.
First were Recaro seats.  Simple bolt on, and the best single improvement ever made.  Boy are those seats comfortable, even now after almost 30 years.  Then in no particular order; 4speed top loader, 350 hp 351w, complete body restoration, 15” wheels.  The early 90’s caused a slowdown due to relocation to the Sacramento area.  The now Old Horse was put back into saddle as daily driver.  Finally, I was able to redo the front suspension with TCP components – r&p, uca, struts, lowered uca mounts.  Then a T-5. Next, time for 16” wheels which allows for the 12.19” Wilwoods in front and SSBC 11” at rear.  A little more restoration work and he is pretty much done.  I have no need for electric this and computerized that.  Keep it simple.
The Old Horse is mainly out to pasture with a weekly gallop to keep things in shape. 
It has been a good run.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/03/2013 6:32 PM  #28

Usually old friends are the best friends.  Glad that you picked a friend that did not fade into oblivion as it aged.

4/03/2013 7:36 PM  #29

Have a video posted from several years ago when I sold it.  A little idle time at 5:13 and a fun drive at 6:13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRzQMH-SZz0  It's a Midstates with a warmed over 428 - too big of cam but a great idle.

4/03/2013 9:34 PM  #30

bought my '66 in oct 2010 for $900 as a bare shell. been collecting parts ever since. so far I've rebuilt the front and rear suspension,rear brakes,added Granada disc,ihave a complete new interior I have to put in. car was originally a 289 2v 3 speed manual. I built a 302 out of a late gt roller block, forged pistons,tfs1 cam,ported '70 302 heads w/ 1.84in 1.54 ex, weiand stealth,650 dp holley, flowtech longtubes,flowmaster exhaust system, 14x6 ttd's, t5z trans, 8" with 3.80's.  couple of older pics. i'll get some new ones soon.

as I bought it

as of a few months ago.

4/03/2013 9:52 PM  #31

Love the baby moons.

Volvo!

4/04/2013 8:50 PM  #32

bought my yellow 66 coupe in 94 with the insurance money from my 64.5 that was totaled by a 16yr old driving on a permit (without accompanying adult..) on his second day after getting it... Restored it as a driver for 16yrs. then decided to put a T5 in it and it snowballed from there. new floors, vert inner rockers, roller suspension, new interior, aluminum heads, cam swap, aluminum rad, possible cage, and I’m working on a Watts link, etc. Almost done.
The green coupe is the one my wife "took" from me when I traded a guy my old, unsed 89 Wrangler. Already painted (5 footer), put in new floors, new engine, AOD new interior, still not finished..
The Falcon was another trade, or series of trades actually. Started with a 74 Bronco for a 69 Falcon wagon for a 68 Cougar, to the Falcon. Just did a 302, T5 swap, home welded exhaust, floor patch, and 06 Mustang seats (not in the pic). Drive it every day, even in the crappy NJ winter weather and on the horrible roads.

4/05/2013 7:45 AM  #33

Bought my '66 w/ 351W and C4 trans for $900 in 1998. It was severely dented all along the passenger side but ran beautifully. I did the quarter panel myself and over the past 15 years I've slowly been resto-moding it. Thanks to a lot of you guys the experience has been a bit more headache-free. I absolutely love mustangs and the hobby itself. Being unemployed right now all I wanna do is work on it but the finances just aren't there. I plan to put new exhaust on and fix the slipping trans when I am employed again. After that comes a V8 rear, probably a 3.73. Next comes wheels, brakes, paint, intake and cylinder head upgrades.

All throttle no bottle

4/05/2013 5:24 PM  #34

No pictures butt-got a cool story!
When I was in high school back in the 60's I got hooked on going to the local drag strip.
This was 64-65-66...somewhere along there.
If you remember(or have read about it) THIS was the start of Factory sponsored drag cars!! SWEEET time to be a teenager!!
There was this one Guy that had no factory help but had one wicked Mustang!
It was just the start of A/FX or EARLY funnycars! You could put anysize/kind whatEVER engine you wanted in any kind of late model-type car and alter the wheel base...cut off the top. whatever....WIDE A$$ OPEN racing(maybe just southern-style,I don't know!)
Anyway this fella was about 6'2" and maybe 120 lbs....wore one of those flat top looking caps and always had a half chewed off cigar in his teeth. I swear to heaven the guy wore THE SAME stained up yellow(from dirt/not color) tee-shirt EVERY Sunday he was there.
The Mustang was a 65/66 on a tube chassis with the top cut off....427+ FE (maybe a side oiler/maybe not) with these big talll Hilborn or Enderle fuel injectors on top.Naturally a 4-speed tranny. When he showed up... everybody knew it was gonna be a gooood day to be at the races!!
Usually there where some 64/65 Falcons with the 427's and a couple of Thunderbolts with factory sponsored 427 running gear.
NO-BODY messed with A/T...all 4 speeds with the tricked out syncronizers(wheres the darn spell check when you need it?!?!!
A few Chevys withOUT any (Offical)factory help. 409 powered Novas and MAYBE this one guy with a Nova with the old "mystery 427" that GM sorta slipped out the back door to certain racers.
Two or three MoPars with the 426 crossram wedge engines. They were the only cars you MIGHT find a torqueflite in.
The sponsored guys would bring their cars in on roll backs or a trailer but "old dirty shirt" towed his in with a WRECKER!! His garage did wrecker service too,I guess.
Well...they would be whizzing around with their matching white shirts with the dealership logo on it getting ready for the shake down runs and then the first round of racing!
Old dirty shirt and his helper(an older man  with "roll-your-own" cigarettes) MAYBE check the plugs/water etc...MAYBE!!
First time up old dirty shirt would be buckled in the "home-made" convertible Mustang and the old man would stroll up the strip a few feet and kick any debris out of the way and sprinkle "dancing rosin" for dirty shirt to spin through.
  When the flag guy(yep...you heard me!) would wave him off... dirty shirt was in the throttle 110%!! The front wheels would be about 1 foot off the ground through the first 3 gears...NEVER... touch down till the end of third gear!! And quick!!.....
.I won several beers(could drink when you were 18! back then) betting my pals it was NOT an automatic tranny but he was singing through the gears that quick.
You could just BARELY hear the differnet sound of the engine when he went from 1-2-3-4!! AMAZING! He would get it stopped and come back down the strip into his pit spot.
The return road was not paved and the "BIG BOYS" could come back down the strip.
The was way cool too because the strip was sorta up hill and the finish line was just at the peak of the hill...then the shut down area was waaay down hill!  They all would sorta "wring it out" in 1st and 2nd and then kinda granny shift it to 3rd and then coast the rest of the way.
Dirty shirt and his partner would drain the water...refill it... and pack the top of the engine with ice and  go sit on their 5 gallon buckets and eat boiled peanuts and wait for the next round!
Now THAT"S how it was done  back in the "good-old-days"
You hadta be there to appreciate it!!
Guess that's where the Mustang bug bite me. I'd give almost anything to drive a 427 Mustang down the strip.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/05/2013 5:59 PM  #35

Sounds like Smokey.

4/05/2013 6:54 PM  #36

tweet66 wrote:

Drive it every day, even in the crappy NJ winter weather and on the horrible roads.

Like that Falcon, I'm thinking I need a classic daily driver one of these days. Currently the all manual base model Honda Civic I drive (parts getter) is actually a lot of fun in terms of 'driver connected to road' experience - no fancy crapola to help you out with that missed shift - and is about as economical as transpp gets but 'twould be nice to roll in a little more style...

Anyway, nice stable.

(Pinto!)

4/05/2013 7:03 PM  #37

dwalker2 wrote:

Bought my '66 w/ 351W and C4 trans for $900 in 1998.

That is a fantastic looking ride for a $900 initial and further elbow grease investment!

(Pinto!)

4/05/2013 7:08 PM  #38

6sally6 wrote:

No pictures butt-got a cool story!6s6

Indeed!

(Pinto!)

4/05/2013 7:17 PM  #39

Hornman wrote:

Sounds like Smokey.

Hprnman !!!!   Your car !!!!! Its actually OUT OF THE GARAGE !!!!!!  

Like I am someone to talk...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/05/2013 9:40 PM  #40

Nope, old photo. Cliche is on the hoist with no front suspension. Got the last pieces today, so it starts going back together tomorrow.

4/06/2013 1:34 PM  #41

The Spring guys just hit my credit card, so I am holeful the springs I ordered in February are on the way.

4/06/2013 1:58 PM  #42

MustangSteve wrote:

How long have you had it?  Where are you located?  POST a picture...

What is the longest ROAD TRIP you have taken it on?  Did you BUILD it or BUY it?

I made a new forum to place all the pictures and history in.  Please use it instead of this thread.  I am trying to figure out how to move the existing posts to that forum.

4/06/2013 3:02 PM  #43

I moved mine, it's not too hard to do, but if you could move the whole thread or posts that would definitely be easier.

I just clicked edit on my post, and then chose the Source button (upper right) and then highlighted everything (including links for your pics) copied it, then posted it to a new message in the other forum.

Also I haven't properly thanked you and Daze for all the work on the forums, new and old!!!!

Thank you!

MustangSteve wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

How long have you had it?  Where are you located?  POST a picture...

What is the longest ROAD TRIP you have taken it on?  Did you BUILD it or BUY it?

I made a new forum to place all the pictures and history in.  Please use it instead of this thread.  I am trying to figure out how to move the existing posts to that forum.

Last edited by Raymond_B (4/06/2013 3:03 PM)

4/21/2013 9:43 AM  #44

Purchased my 1966 Coupe back in 2007 and has been a roller coaster ride since. It has been up for sale a nurmerous amount of times and have been unable to let her go. It was a daily driver until the motor started giving me problems and now I'm in the proecess of installing a 5.0 HO 302 and T5.

"In God We Trust all Others Must Sign"

5/29/2013 10:50 PM  #45

1976 Bought a 64&1/2 T code when I was 15 years old for 150 bucks, swapped spindles and rear end (got'em free cousin was building a race car) built a 40 over 289 f4b holley 750, toploader 4 speed (way too much carb but the price was right) pumped gas till I was blue in the face spent every dime I made on that car, mostly on u-joints, then I blew the engine and started spending the money on girls,  damn I miss that car. Right now I'm helping my 14 year old build a c code '67 coupe 390 fe old school well I got a couple lying around and it fits heres my ride

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

8/19/2013 1:20 AM  #46

GT350 wrote:

Fastbackbhoy wrote:

wow where? Is that at

jimmy

in my unit about 15 mins from glasgow

Would love to visit that place sometime
there is only a small strip off water between us,i'm from the Netherlands

Tonie

Last edited by Tonie (8/19/2013 1:21 AM)

9/09/2013 10:42 AM  #47

Hey Guys, 

finally got around to this.   My love for fords started back in 1978.  I think I was 12 years old.  I had worked on a Farm where they raised tobacco and one of the boy there was 3 years older than me.  At 15 he had some of coolest Fords.  He had Cougars, Mustang and Fairlanes.   I bought my first car from him when I was 14.  It was a 66 Fairlane 2 dr for $50.00.  The Body was great but the floors were rusted through and the frame rails and the 289 didn't run.   I bought a 66 Fairlane 4 door for the engine and transmission that did run for $75.00.   I installed the engine and got it running just enough to do one burn out and put the leaf spring through the trunk and that was the end.   Wish my parents would of taken some pics of the cars but I think they were so mad I was waisting my time with it they never did.   

In 1983 I moved up to a 71 Torino.  Had 80K on it with a little rust for $500.  That was a Great Car.   I only had one pic of the Car.  I drove it my senior year until the Tranny Went out.  There where my shop instructor told me he would help rebulid the C4.  So I pulled it and put is on the shop table.  He said here the shop manual and he had never worked on a Transmission before.  I really wanted to punch him...LOL    So I sold the Torino and Joine the Army after Graduation in 1984.  I then Joined the Army and didn't have a car for 2 years while in Germany.  Then I was stationed in Fort Hood Texas in 1987 and I bough my First Mustang.  It was a 1979 Mustang Cobra

Drove that for a long time and then in 1990 Fell in love with my Wife and a Cougar...LOL   a 1985 Cougar.   I lowered and put some rims on it along with Glass Packs.

Then in 1992 I decided to get married and a month before I bought my 1969 Mustang Fastback.  Ive owned it ever since.   Theres times that car has made me so mad and wanted to sell it.  But I step away for a month and start again.   Here are some pics through out the last 21 years I've owned it.

Steve69

Packs. 

Cobra.   

2/10/2014 10:55 PM  #48

Hi Ford lovers..I am new to the forum. While not new to cars. I am new to Ford cars. I picked up a really nice 1969 Ford T5 this weekend. One in particular. ...The 69 you see at the top of this forum to be exact.  Pretty neat to register log in and see your new ride already posted. Thanks Steve.
Lol. I have new plans for it. Nothing drastic...perhaps a V8 upgrade will be in order. A set of larger breaks adapters etc from MustangSteve....as well some of the other solid parts   .  Upgrades he has. Any way. Once, I make a few post I guess I can upload some pictures.
love the car....even better my two boys love it....and perhaps my wife will warm up to it after she gets behind the wheel and turns 18 again. Lol

2/12/2014 10:34 AM  #49

texasrat67 wrote:

Hi Ford lovers..I am new to the forum. While not new to cars. I am new to Ford cars. I picked up a really nice 1969 Ford T5 this weekend. One in particular. ...The 69 you see at the top of this forum to be exact. Pretty neat to register log in and see your new ride already posted. Thanks Steve.
Lol. I have new plans for it. Nothing drastic...perhaps a V8 upgrade will be in order. A set of larger breaks adapters etc from MustangSteve....as well some of the other solid parts . Upgrades he has. Any way. Once, I make a few post I guess I can upload some pictures.
love the car....even better my two boys love it....and perhaps my wife will warm up to it after she gets behind the wheel and turns 18 again. Lol

Welcome aboard!  When you get ready to post some pics, start a completely new post in this section so you can post progress to your own post as time goes on and you improve the T5.

3/07/2014 10:13 PM  #50

Looking forward to Spring time and driving time.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.