FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2014 12:00 AM  #1

new leaf springs

Ok I got my new, 5 leaf, stock ride height Scott Drake leaf springs. But, when I set the new ones up next to the old stock ones I noticed the bolt that fits into the u-bolt/shock bracket mount is about 1/2 inch towards the rear of the car than the stock ones. See the attached photos. What do you think? Big deal or not? I cannot think of reason this would hurt the car to move the rear end back a 1/2 inch. I don't think it will be real noticable in the wheel opening and the driveshaft lenght should be ok. Looking for input, thanks

Yeah, I know, but...

3/09/2014 8:43 AM  #2

Re: new leaf springs

Do both springs have the same height when laid next to each other?  Just wondering if the bolts would line up better if the spring eyes were the same distance apart?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

3/09/2014 8:52 AM  #3

If you already have underrider traction bars, it screws the up.  been there..

3/09/2014 10:17 AM  #4

Are you certain that the springs you pulled are original?  You could be comparing after-market to after-market.

3/09/2014 11:57 AM  #5

The springs are the same height when they are side by side. no traction bars so no problem there. From the rust and lack of bushings I'm only assuming there are stock originals.

Yeah, I know, but...

3/09/2014 11:59 AM  #6

another photo

Yeah, I know, but...

3/09/2014 12:17 PM  #7

If your springs are original, there will be a date code on the smallest leaf to the outside.

3/09/2014 12:47 PM  #8

code is c4za-5556m g1-5g on the old ones

Yeah, I know, but...

3/09/2014 2:35 PM  #9

are the original ones a 4 leaf?  Looks like it but can't tell for sure.  4 leaf vs 5 leaf, they are going to be different.  If the length is good, I wouldn't worry.  Slap them on there and get driving.

3/09/2014 2:50 PM  #10

Yes the originals are 4 leaf.
The new ones raised the car 1 3/4 inches after a short test drive. (15 3/4" from center of rim to wheel opening)
My guess is they will settle a bit more and it should end up right where I wanted them.
The ride is a bit stiffer but not bad, better then my 1997 4x4 f 150.

SK

Yeah, I know, but...

3/09/2014 3:07 PM  #11

Some ride height photos

Yeah, I know, but...

3/09/2014 3:14 PM  #12

that don't look to bad.  I went to a 4 1/2 leaf and have things about where you do, then I added a drop block.  Back end looks good now.  Enjoy.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.