FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2014 10:54 PM  #1

My DIY Isuzu power steering conversion so far

I wanted power steering with a quick ratio (4:1) for my 65 and I like the Borgeson setup, but wanted to save a few bucks and just like tinkering, so I started from scratch.  The Borgeson unit uses an integraed PS unit that was used on 1996 Acura SLX, 1994-97 Honda Passport, 1989-94 Isuzu Amigo, 1988-95 Isuzu Pickup, 1991-97 Isuzu Rodeo, and the 1987-1996 Isuzu Trooper.  Borgeson mills off the mount and welds on a new mount that matches the Mustang mounting holes.  They also respline the output shaft down to match the Mustang pitman arm.  I actually pulled my box, pitman arm, and steering coupler out of a 1994 Rodeo.  Here's a photo of those parts next to the Mustang parts:

You can see the Isuzu box is taller due to the integrated PS unit at the top.  The output shaft is also larger, which is the main problem in adapting it to the Mustang.  You can also see that the upper right and lower left bolt holes are very close to lining up with the Mustang's box.  In the next photo I made a template of the Mustang's mounting holes and placed it on the Isuzu box:

The yellow cross hatched section shows how close the two holes are to being in alignment.  If you rotate the Isuzu box about 1 degree or so clockwise relative to the lower left hole in the template, they get very close:

This seemed the way to go, but I was concerned about putting the output shaft in a different geometry relative to the idler arm, and in fact, the steering box casting prevents the box from rotating on the frame in order to bring that mounting hole in alingment with the hole in the frame:

The yellow arrow  shows where the Isuzu box hits the frame when it's rotated clockwise about the bolt in the lower left.  I decided to grind away some of the casting on the box so it could be rotated.  The next photo show where I did the grinding:

I also drilled out the holes in the Isuzu box in order to use bolts like the Mustang, which I believe are 7/16 X 14, and slightly enlarged the upper right hole in the Mustang frame.  Next I compared the angle of the rotated Isuzu box to the angle of the idler arm.  To do that, I made a cardboard template that uses the floor of my shop as a reference point.  Here it is next to the idler arm:

and next to the box:

You can see that at least within the accuracy of my template, although the the steering box is slightly rotated, its output shaft still appears to be parallel to the idler arm.  The next thing was to provide some kind of reinforcement for the top bolt, which lays across the top of the frame rail.  I decided to use a  piece of 3/4" "black iron" plumping pipe, which is actually steel:

I sectioned the pipe along its length so that the top of the pipe would line up with the tang on the Isuzu box, and welded a nut into the end and drilled it out to provide more surface area against the tang.  The other end had to be beveled where it contacts the engine bay sheet metal (not sure what that part is called).  On the other side of that sheet metal is a corresponding short piece of 1" steel rod with a hole for the bolt that is similarly beveled in order to provide a flat mating surface for the nut.  I then used a drill guide to drill a perpendicular hole through the frame for the fourth bolt. 

The next problem was modifying the pitman arm.  I decided to weld the splined end of the Isuzu pitman arm to the Mustang pitman arm.  I had to devise a way to ensure the finished arm was the same length and geomery as the original Mustang arm, so I made this jig:

The jig is just a piece of 2" X 6" lumber with a peg glued in to anchor the drag link end of the pitman arm with two replaceable tapered inserts I turned on my wood lathe - one for the Mustang arm, which is installed in the above photo, and one for the Isuzu arm, which is above it.  My goal is that once the Isuzu splined section of the pitman arm was ready to be mated to the Mustang pitman arm, I will swap out the tapered insert for the Isuzu pitman arm into that jig to ensure they are properly aligned.  I intend to cut the pieces so part of each overlapps the other (like shiplapped siding) in order to have as much weld surface as possible.  More to follow.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

3/16/2014 11:33 PM  #2

Re: My DIY Isuzu power steering conversion so far

Impressive, and good job!

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

3/17/2014 5:20 AM  #3

Looks like the same steering box that came in my kit from CPP. They bolted on a 1/4" adapter plate to change the mounting holes. Even with their adapter plate I had issues with lining it up. I think the box was hitting in the back the same place as yours was but my engine was in so couldn't see as well.. I had to enlarge one of the holes to finally get it to go in. I like your setup once you finish the pitman arm you'll have her licked. One other small issue I had was the fitting at the steering box on the high pressure hose. I had 2 fittings and both leaked. They would not screw in far enough to seal completely. I had to grind off a little where the wrench grabbed so it would turn in another ½ turn to get it to seal. I’m only bringing this up to tell you to keep the fittings that came with the box, don’t buy new, you may have the same problem. Good luck with it nice work.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/17/2014 6:30 AM  #4

65 Coupe, I installed the Bergeson box kit a few months ago. It is spendy but fit well. If I had to do it over would use period correct pump. Pump in the kit looks to cheby for me. Works like a dream. Much easier to maneuver at slow speed. Very quite, no whines or howls. Money well spent however......

3/17/2014 9:32 AM  #5

Excellent writeup.  I hope you don't mind, I am moving this to the TIPS and HOW TO section so it will stay in a more prominent location sp people can see it.

Not sure about the welding overlap thing.  Usually a V is ground into a weld joint that so there is 100% weld to both parts.  That is the only possible problem I can think of with the installation.  That weld better hold!  Maybe even after welding it, a supplemental plate on both sides welded to the arm pieces as well for insurance?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/17/2014 9:47 AM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

Excellent writeup.  I hope you don't mind, I am moving this to the TIPS and HOW TO section so it will stay in a more prominent location sp people can see it.

Not sure about the welding overlap thing.  Usually a V is ground into a weld joint that so there is 100% weld to both parts.  That is the only possible problem I can think of with the installation.  That weld better hold!  Maybe even after welding it, a supplemental plate on both sides welded to the arm pieces as well for insurance?

Agree! Also see the recommendations in your earlier thread about this and regarding the welding.

3/17/2014 11:21 AM  #7

MustangSteve wrote:

Thanks.  Welding the pitman arm is something I'm concerned about.  I see a lot of 4X4 ers and hotrodders that have done it with good success, along with cut and welded straight front axels, and spindles, not to mention all the commonly welded aftermarket stuff like driveshafts, crankshafts, axel housings, tubular suspension components, etc.  So I know it can be done, but I also know it shouldn't be done by me.  I do plan on generously Ving the joint and ensuring that whoever welds it pre-heats it and post heats it, allowing it to gradually cool down.  I've also read some things about what welding rod to us, so I plan on asking about that as well.

If anyone has any recommendations about a pro welder in the Dallas area, pls PM me.  Thanks.

3/17/2014 8:04 PM  #8

jkordzi wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Thanks.  Welding the pitman arm is something I'm concerned about.  I see a lot of 4X4 ers and hotrodders that have done it with good success, along with cut and welded straight front axels, and spindles, not to mention all the commonly welded aftermarket stuff like driveshafts, crankshafts, axel housings, tubular suspension components, etc.  So I know it can be done, but I also know it shouldn't be done by me.  I do plan on generously Ving the joint and ensuring that whoever welds it pre-heats it and post heats it, allowing it to gradually cool down.  I've also read some things about what welding rod to us, so I plan on asking about that as well.

If anyone has any recommendations about a pro welder in the Dallas area, pls PM me.  Thanks.

Your doing an excellent job...Just a quick story...when I was 17 years old I drove my 56 Buick powered  42 Ford  to my go to welder to shorten the pitman arm ( it was just tuching the tie rod ) since I had to relocate the steering box for the engine swap...I pulled into his lot dropped the pitman arm and told Pete to shorten it I think 3/4"...he hesitated at first but did it ...beveled the edges and  overlapped bead after bead,  chipping and cleaning each weld as he went...an hour or so  later I reinstalled it and drove home...There are good welders out there you just have to find one...you will....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

3/18/2014 8:56 AM  #9

one way you could do the pitman arm is  have a machine shop machine out the splined pitman hole in your Musang arm.   Then cut and lathe the center of the Izuzu arm so that it will press into the machined hole in the Mustang arm.   It could be pinned/plug welded from the side, and welded on the top and bottom and ground smooth.     

One of several ways to do this.

Last edited by Greg B (3/18/2014 9:00 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/18/2014 9:35 AM  #10

Greg B wrote:

one way you could do the pitman arm is  have a machine shop machine out the splined pitman hole in your Musang arm.   Then cut and lathe the center of the Izuzu arm so that it will press into the machined hole in the Mustang arm.   It could be pinned/plug welded from the side, and welded on the top and bottom and ground smooth.     

One of several ways to do this.

I've seen people do it that way and it would be my preferred option except that the diameter of Isuzu output shaft is so much larger, it would leave very little room left on the Mustang arm.  That's why in my previous post about this I thought about using a mid-67 to 70 Mustang PS pitman arm that has the larger 1-1/8" diameter output shaft (as opposed to my 65's 1" diameter), like the one shown here:  http://www.stangerssite.com/pitmanarms.html

I'm pretty sure those arms are the same length and geometry as my 65 arm.  However, I haven't been able to (1) verify if those arms are actually larger on the big end to accomodate the larger output shaft, and (2) I can't seem to be able to locate one for a reasonable price.

3/18/2014 6:38 PM  #11

This is the swap I used on my 63 Comet along with the 65 steering gear and Granada disk. I did not get as involved with the alinement of the pitman arm , just eyeballed it under the car and tacked it with the MIG then had a welder at work finish welding it. I did this just before the Cedar Hill Bash. Some of you may have seen it there. Steering radius was reduced due to travel of the steering box , Drives well dose suffer a littel bump steer during aggresive driveing on ruff roads . I am sure the Ackerman angle is poor with the Granada spindels and the narrow Stanse of the Comet. Over all driveability and braking are much improved.

3/18/2014 8:14 PM  #12

Steve-G wrote:

This is the swap I used on my 63 Comet along with the 65 steering gear and Granada disk. I did not get as involved with the alinement of the pitman arm , just eyeballed it under the car and tacked it with the MIG then had a welder at work finish welding it. I did this just before the Cedar Hill Bash. Some of you may have seen it there. Steering radius was reduced due to travel of the steering box , Drives well dose suffer a littel bump steer during aggresive driveing on ruff roads . I am sure the Ackerman angle is poor with the Granada spindels and the narrow Stanse of the Comet. Over all driveability and braking are much improved.

Thanks - how did you modify the pitman arm and could you describe any thing special the welder did or what kind of rod he used?

3/19/2014 5:53 PM  #13

I V'ed the butt joint before tacking it in place . Nothing special about the welding process I am aware of. A small amount of percussion engeinering was required for clearence in the Comet at the shock tower and a 1/4" notch at the frame rail for steering shaft alinment.

3/31/2014 9:34 PM  #14

I've finished joining the Isuzu pitman arm to the Mustang Pitman arm and here's how I did it:
I started by cutting off the splined part of the Isuzu arm.  This shows the first cut:

and the second cut, which resulted in a step which would receive the cut Mustang arm:

After this, I marked the cut on the Mustang arm by stacking the Isuzu splined end on top of the splined end of the Mustang arm and marking the cut:

I was concerned about not only ensuring that the center to center length of the modified arm be the same as the original Mustang arm, but that the final position of the drag link end of the arm be as close as possible vertically to the original location. So before I milled a step in the cut off section of the Mustang arm, I made some measurements.

In the above photo, I lined up the Isuzu and Mustang boxes with the cut Mustang arm along with a yardstick as a baseline reference. In the next photo I joined the stepped Isuzu splined end to the cut Mustang arm to check how far off the drag link end would be from the stock position:

You can see that by simply stacking the cut off end of the Mustang arm onto the stepped Isuzu arm, the resulting arm is only slightly higher than the stock location. This indicated that only a minimal step needed to be milled into the cut off Mustang arm.  Next I used the larger tapered insert I turned for the Isuzu splined end in my jig and marked where the step should be milled into the Mustang arm.  I then used a carbide burr and a die grinder with some finish filing to make that step.  This next photo shows that step alongside the original Mustang splined end:

Note also the chamfer milled into the edge for weld penetration.  Here are a few photos of the composite arm after all the milling was done, including the chamfering for weld penetration:

When the milling was done I remounted the arm in my jig and made the indexing marks you can see on the above photos so the pieces can be correctly aligned when welded. That's it for now until i can find a good welder in the DFW area!

Last edited by jkordzi (6/01/2014 10:08 PM)

4/06/2014 5:30 PM  #15

I got my pitman arm welded and below are a few photos of the finished product.  The pieces were clamped together tightly and preheated to 400F, then welded with 7018 rod, then buried in a pail of cat litter until I got home and placed in the oven at 400F and the temperature was decreased 100F each hour.  I then placed it in a vice and gave it a few smacks with a sledge hammer.  So far so good.

9/29/2014 8:31 PM  #16

I finally got around to installing the pitman arm and noticed that the clocking wasn't right.  The Isuzu/Mustang pitman arm can be clocked to any of four positions, 90 degrees apart.  This is done by lining up a raised area on the splines of the pitman arm with any one of the corresponding grooves on the steering box's output shaft.  The raised area is just an area that was left ungrooved.  I began by aligning the wheels forward and moving the pitman arm to the locked left position, then counting the rotations of the input shaft until it was in the right full locked position.  I got 4 turns and 10 splines out of 38 - almost 4-1/4.  I then divided that in half and moved the pitman arm back that amount.  I was then in the middle position.  However, none of the four positions allowed for the pitman arm to be in its proper position. Therefore, I had two choices:  either grind down the raised area on the pitman arm, or try to cut a groove in the raised area.  I chose to try the latter, reasoning that if I failed I could just grind it down anyway.  I do a lot of woodworking and have a set of triangular hand saw sharpening files and one of them fit the grooves perfectly.  Here's a picture of the groove I cut:

The file points to the groove I cut.  It fits perfectly.  In case anyone wants to do the same, the file is a "4 inch double extra slim."  You may also notice that I added a bolt through the overlap of the Mustang/Isuzu pieces shown in previous pictures.  I did this as added insurance.  It's a grade 8, 3/8"-16 X 1" flat head cap screw like this one:  http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/75458067.  The tapered head of the cap screw required that a 82 degree counter sink be used after drilling the 5/16" hole. 

Lastly, I should add that I got the idea for this project from Gikort:  http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/636459-cheap-integrated-power-steering-write-up-pics.html
I corresponded with him several times about it.  He did his conversion in 2011 and has been running it ever since, including some open track and autocross.

Last edited by jkordzi (9/29/2014 8:32 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.