FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2013 12:42 PM  #1

'66 Wipers - Oddball behavior when first engaged.

Working under the dash right now with pedal support out so probably a good time to try and chase down this Gremlin: when wipers are first engaged they only sweep about halfway up, jerk/hestitate a little, go all the way back down and then operate normally through the whole range. They park properly when turned off. Turn 'em back on right away and same thing - only sweep about halfway up on first pass. Looking at the arms and mechanism I don't see anything obvious that would explain this behavior. Any ideas?

Last edited by McStang (4/02/2013 12:44 PM)

(Pinto!)

4/02/2013 1:45 PM  #2

Re: '66 Wipers - Oddball behavior when first engaged.

Well - I don't know if it's right or not - but my '65 with two speed wipers does exactly the same thing.

4/02/2013 2:15 PM  #3

It's a feature!

4/02/2013 2:28 PM  #4

It's probably something faulty or misadjusted with your park switch.  It's part of the wiper motor.  There's a procedure in the shop manual for disaasembling the wiper motor and adjusting the part switch.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/02/2013 4:06 PM  #5

Thanks John, was starting to think the same thing after doing a little more looking around. Fortunately I've got that manual. The WYAIT monster keeps sneaking in under the garage door...

(Pinto!)

4/02/2013 6:30 PM  #6

If you turn the wipers on for a second then turn them offf (and it does what you say) it may have something to do with the park switch. If you turn the wipers on and leave them on, (and it does what you say) it has nothing to do with the park switch. The park switch is made to come in play when the wipers are turned off, and park the wipers. If this is happining when the wipers are in the on position, it is either a bad switch but my guess is something is binding mechanicaly. 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/02/2013 7:22 PM  #7

wsinsle wrote:

If you turn the wipers on and leave them on, (and it does what you say) it has nothing to do with the park switch. The park switch is made to come in play when the wipers are turned off, and park the wipers. If this is happining when the wipers are in the on position, it is either a bad switch but my guess is something is binding mechanicaly. 

Good point, it happens when I first turn them on and leave the switch in the 'ON' posistion, just that first sweep that doesn't go all the way. From the second sweep on they work normally and they complete the last cycle and park properly when the switch is turned off. I'll try bypassing the switch just to see what happens, Just looking at the linkage I don't see any evidence of binding. In either case (binding mechanism or bad switch) guess I'll take this convenient  opportunity to clean and lube all the linkage points.

(Pinto!)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.