FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2015 8:59 AM  #1

Another new window moulding installation tip

I finally got the rear window and new moulding on my 66 fastback installed.  I had previously installed some moulding and scratched up the body around the window, so it went back to the body shop to get that area repainted.  I was determined to get this moulding installed with two criteria in mind:
1.  NO SCRATCHES OR CHIPS IN THE PAINT
2.  THIS IS 4th SET OF MOULDING PURCHASED AND ATTEMPTED.  DO NOT BEND IT!

For #1...So, I got all new retention clips.  Thank you Bullet Bob.  Some studs had been broken off so new clips were attached with screws having plenty of sealant around them. (See my previous post on how to use a c-clip tool to install them).   I added masking tape around the area and marked the tape to show where all the clips were located.  Then I cut up a clear plastic blister pack that my weedeater replacement spool came in and made 29 pieces of clear plastic to use for protectors.  I inserted one fully seated between the clip and the body of the car.  That will protect the paint as the moulding is pressed into place.  These worked out quite well.  Once the moulding was installed and clipped int place, I used some pliers to pull the plastic out and then removed the masking tape.  NO SCRATCHES !!!

For #2...  Well, I do have some extra brand new pieces that were not used in previous attempts.  For some reason, the driver side piece was very difficult to push down far enough to get it to catch on the clips.  After pushing really hard, there are some slight depressions that are barely noticeable.  They did not bother me enough to risk removing the trim to replace it with one of my perfect spares.  I figured I would scratch the paint removing it and that would look worse than a minor depression in the moulding.  Maybe NEXT TIME it gets painted, I will put a perfect one on and try to not bend it.  Also might be able to stick a soft tool of some kind up under the trim to push the depression out.  For another day...

So, it all came out pretty good!  WD-40 is your best friend when it comes to cleanup of all that black, gooey windshield bedding compound.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/23/2015 9:02 PM  #2

Re: Another new window moulding installation tip

Good information. I will have to do that at some point.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/24/2015 8:07 PM  #3

MS has turned green with another recycling tip for us all. I knew there had to be a good use for all those impossible to open packages.

5/25/2015 5:16 AM  #4

I missed the step where Tourrette syndrome cussing begins.

5/10/2016 9:15 AM  #5

Mochaman wrote:

I missed the step where Tourrette syndrome cussing begins.

Ed, that part was omitted because it only occurred on the FIRST THREE SETS OF NEW CHROME I tried to install without damaging.  I figured it out on the fourth set. (not counting the NOS set that mastercrap ruined removing it.)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.