FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2013 5:05 PM  #1

Met a guy the next street over that has a 68 convertible

Met a gentleman in beautiful downtown Ovilla.  We were talking at the local BBQ place and he mentioned he had a 68 convertible that he bought at a garage sale last week.  He bought it to flip it.  So I went to take a look at it.  He said he wanted $10.5K.

At first glance, it was a beautiful springtime yellow with new black top, V8 automatic with black interior.  Paint was new, top was new, interior was new.  New styled steel wheels and tires.

Upon closer evaluation, none of the fenders aligned with the doors and none of the doors aligned with the quarter panels.  Trunk lid had a huge gap all around.  Right front headlight bucket had a 4" gap in the bottom right above the bumper.  Both shock towers had patches welded on top where they meet the inner fender panels.  Rear frame rails were rusted through in front of the shackles.  Passenger side rear rail was rusted through right behind the torque box.  Both rear floors were rusted out but they had laid replacement floors on top and just installed new carpet over it.  The assembly of all the detail items looked like mastercraft had reassembled the car.  Bolts missing here and there, small parts missing, stuff did not work, accelertor linkage used a zip tie instead of installing the cotter pin  in the linkage, throttle springs were so strong you could not push the pedal.  Engine had a krylon overhaul.

Since he had bought it to flip it, and he didn't really know anything about Mustangs, he was a bit disappointed to hear the evaluation of the car.  He said to make him an offer, so I had to think a long time before saying anything.  I decided to keep my mouth shut, because if I had offered him $6k, he probably would have taken it.  So, I left WITHOUT bringing any headaches home with me.  Whew !

He said, well... I guess I just need to find a buyer like himself to buy it. 

And that is the sad part.  Someone else who sees Mustang V8 convertibles for $17k advertised all over will jump on that car and get stuck with a turd.  It is a shiny, bright yellow turd, but still a turd.

Last edited by MustangSteve (6/08/2013 5:08 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/08/2013 5:28 PM  #2

Re: Met a guy the next street over that has a 68 convertible

Two weeks ago, driving home from Home Repo, I found myself driving along side a red w/white 68 Vert. I asked the guy driving if he was a local....We ended stopped on a side street. He had asked if either of my cars were for sale, never talked about that though. Instead he tolm the 68 was his mothers, that he drove when in town. They. Were asking $10k for it, and knew a lady in town who had decided to sell her 66 2+2 6 cyl, also $10k. i took his number and hurridly left.
I did give a guy at work the number for the red vert, last week.

Tubo still in DC

Last edited by Tubo (6/08/2013 5:30 PM)

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

6/08/2013 5:38 PM  #3

Seven years ago I bought a turd, course I didn't pay anywhere near 6k for mine, none the less it was still a huge turd.  I've been working on it ever since. I hope to show up at this years bash, driving this turd. I just hope this turd doesn't get the best of me. After seven years it would be nice to drive this turd and not be working on it. I'm hoping to see some more turds in Tennessee Hope everyone doesn't show up in a show car or I'm going to feel out of place.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

6/08/2013 6:43 PM  #4

Nawwww...don't worry.I'm driving my turd with a big cam!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/08/2013 8:29 PM  #5

6sally6 wrote:

Nawwww...don't worry.I'm driving my turd with a big cam!
6sally6

My big 'ol mastercrap turd will be there also.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.