FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2013 10:23 AM  #1

Another window question

Man, after 7 years I don't remember how I took this thing apart so now it's Hades trying to put things back together. Can someone who has had their inner door parts and windows out give me a quick order of reassembly. Wing window, window, crank assembly, rear track for window, what order should those 4 be put in?  I had the wing window in and rear track but no luck last night, got to try something else.  Plus I put a nice scratch on interior door and one on the outside.  Before I start again today is there any words of wisdom out there?   Thanks Mike

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

6/08/2013 11:38 AM  #2

Re: Another window question

i did glass for 24 yrs & best i can remember, it went this way. vent window first, regulator assembly, glass, then rear run assembly. kinda work front to back...

6/08/2013 12:57 PM  #3

Thanks Steve, I finally got the passenger side in and after a couple of shots of Chivas I'll go back out and start on the driver side. Just need to chill for a minute, the blood pressure was getting a little high. Thanks,  Mike

6/08/2013 1:00 PM  #4

Rear run, then side glass, then wing window frame, which includes the front glass run.  I suppose there are various ways to do it, but the hardest part to me is getting the big side glass in there, and I find it much easier if the wing window frame is not in the way.

Maybe steve s. can elaborate and we can both learn something!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/08/2013 3:18 PM  #5

Make your next purchase a factory shop manual, it's the most valuble tool you can have.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/08/2013 5:22 PM  #6

Rudi wrote:

Make your next purchase a factory shop manual, it's the most valuble tool you can have.

I just bought one about a week ago.  Seems like it's full of Comet, Falcon, and Fairlane crap and light on the Mustang, at least on the window reinstall.

After working all day on these darn things, this is what I suggest for anyone else working on theirs.
1. Take off the 3 rollers and put the crank assembly in. Bolt it up loosely
2. Put the rear track in and bolt it up loosely
3. Put the wing window in to where you can get the adjustment screws back in. Don't bolt it up yet. 
4. Put the side window in. Easier with wing window/front track in loosely.
5. Put the 2 rollers in the window track and the 1 roller in the short track attached to the door.
6. I pulled the window up about half way(Some help with this step would be nice butt(TS) of course I   
   didn't have any) and put the pins from the X track assembly into each roller until clipped in.
7. The window will now roll up and down. HAL A LOO YA
8. Bolt in wing window and leave bolts loose. The book may now be helpful for proper adjustments.

This worked for me, I'm sure there are other ways(maybe even easier) to do this.  Thanks for all replies.  Mike

6/08/2013 9:38 PM  #7

IIRC, as its been a few yrs since i did that stuff everyday, i would intall the vent assy, but NOT bolt it in, that way you can move it around a bit, tilt forward etc.if you remove the rubber seal at the top rear of the door, there is usually ample room to work the doorglass with rollers in thru there & attach it to the regulator. roll the glass up a bit & you have room to work the rear run in, onto the glass, then bolt it in. next, roll the glass down & work the vent assy into place. leave everything finger tight, shut the door & roll up the door glass & shuffle things around until they fit the opening & tighten everything up. open & shut the door a couple times & readjust until everything fits/works properly.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.