FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2016 8:43 PM  #1

The MS 68 Coupe

This thread will be to document the build of my 68 coupe purchased in January of 2015.  Don't expect anything close to the scope of the Phoenix project, but this car will be built with the specific purpose of long BASH ROAD TRIPS in mind.  It will be built for good mileage on regular gas, reasonable performance and a smooth ride with a comfortable interior and tight handling.

It won't happen fast, but I would say there is a good chance it will get completed before Hakan or Ultrastang completes theirs.  Well, at least before Ultrastang anyway.

In the meantime, Sherry's honey-do list has grown exponentially amongst all the promises of AS SOON AS THE 66 IS DONE.  So I might have to do a couple of those before making much progress on the 68.  Tune in for a long ride.  Maybe I can take it over to Sweden for a couple of weeks and Hakan and I can make it just like his.  Shouldn't take long now that he has done it once, right?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/21/2016 7:35 PM  #2

Re: The MS 68 Coupe

MS wrote:

Maybe I can take it over to Sweden for a couple of weeks and Hakan and I can make it just like his.  Shouldn't take long now that he has done it once, right?

You are welcome to come over, but right now we have around 5°F temps so you better bring some extra clothes!

3/03/2016 8:49 PM  #3

I still have not brought the car home yet, but have been rounding up parts to build it.
My plan is to build this car on a very small budget, but do it right and modernize the brakes and running gear without sinking alot of money into it.
Bought a running 89 Lincoln Mark VII with 5.0GT engine, AOD transmission, 8.8 traction lock disc brake rear end. Will probably sell the rear end, since I bought a 68 Mustang 8" rear. No traction lock needed. This car is a BASH cruiser made for the highway, not a race car.

I have front and rear disc brakes from a 2009 Mustang Gt and of course the MustangSteve brackets to install them. I have four 17x8 Bullitt style alloy wheels that have been sitting around. I have three tires so far.  I will find a fourth one to install just until I get the whole car ready to hit the road. Then a new set can be purchased.
I have a bendix power brake booster and a new disc disc master cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve.
For a/c, I have the under dash unit from my 66 to use unless I decide to buy a vintage air system.

I plan to keep the 200 I-6 and three speed manual tranny intact until I just can't stand it any more.

So far those parts are stuff I already owned, so hopefully some new shocks, springs and a 1" sway bar will get the suspension streetworthy.

The car already has a new interior in it, so a complete new set of weatherstripping will be required.

3/11/2016 7:11 PM  #4

I hope you don't keep the 6 in it too long;but, then again I would like to see you drive by once and listen.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

3/15/2016 3:56 PM  #5

Steve,

If this is going to be a highway cruiser... why not find a way to stick one of those modern v6's in it, if the last gen mustang got 31mpg... .....

65 Vert (UCA mod,4bbl, hipo ex, 17x8), 2013 C-Max (hitch & cargo net), 2018 Cherokee (In bumper hitch)

11/24/2016 10:45 PM  #6

Parts collection for the 68 is progressing nicely.  I bought a 1989 Lincoln Mark VII for $800 to get the engine and tranny out of it.  It has the same 5.0 roller engine and AOD as the 90 Mustang GT.  I have the engine pulled and cleaned.  It will be converted to carburetor.
So far I have the engine, tranny, new hipo exhaust manifolds, new 2-1/4" stock type exhaust system, v8 engine mount brackets, 8" rear end, a set of 17" wheels and a complete 2009 Mustang GT brake conversion (12.5" front and 11.76" rear discs) with a Bendix power booster and a factory 68 power brake pedal.  I will install an adjustable proportioning valve.

Still need a duraspark dosctributor and an AOD crossmember before I can set the engine in place.  I will install the brakes and 17" wheels while the six cylinder and three speed manual trans are still capable of moving the car around.

This car is being built on a very limited budget when compared to my 66 fastback.  This is a T code so I cannot see dumping tons of money at it.  I just want it to be dependable and to have proper workmanship in the process.  I have no intention of rebuilding the engine or transmission.  The Mark VII ran great when I drove it in here so it should work great for years to come.  I am trying to use parts from my collection rather than buying new stuff.  Several FYI'ers have helped out with part donations for the project.  (See Garage Point forum).  Thanks to everyone for the help.

For anyone that might care about wheel fitment, I found that 17x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and 245x45 tires do NOT really fit the rear of the car without the possibility of rubbing.  But, using an 8" rear end from a 65/66 Mustang gets them to fit perfectly under the fenders. The 65/66 rear end is 2" narrower overall than the 67-70 rear axle.
 I will be using 17x7 4.25" backspacing, 225x45/17 tires up front for a no nonsense wheel fitment with no rubbing.

So much for now.  Really the only thing I have done to the car so far is to clean it.  It had 10 years of mold and grit accumulated on it.  The car wash high pressure wand would not even touch it.  I used PURPLE POWER and a rag and wiped it down.  It took off all the crud and changed the copper color to a nice tolerable gold finish.  Patina of faded paint will remain until all mechanicals are done.

7/24/2017 8:12 PM  #7

Installed 2" narrower 65 8" rear end with 2013 GT rear discs, new grabatrack 4 leaf reverse eye springs, KYB Gasajust shocks all around. Rebuilt front suspension and installed MustangSteve 2009 12.5" Mustang GT front brakes. Did the Shelby drop and cut a coil off the front springs.

7/24/2017 8:13 PM  #8

Final update.
Sold the car to Ramses. I am sure he will take it to a very high level.

7/25/2017 6:23 PM  #9

MS wrote:

Final update.
Sold the car to Ramses. I am sure he will take it to a very high level.

Gonna get right into it and keep this thread alive by posting updates!

8/06/2017 10:17 PM  #10

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO IT RAMSES???

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

9/20/2017 9:44 PM  #11

Taillights upgraded to LED:

From this:

To this:

9/21/2017 8:17 AM  #12

Ramses, What's next?

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.