FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2016 2:51 PM  #1

Denver to Montrose

Hi, my name is Gary and I own a 67' Coupe. I live near Denver (Pine Junction) and I've read all the posts for the 2016 Bash and it seems as if the whole state of Texas is planning on showing up, but I don't see any Coloradans chiming in. Maybe we're all just to close to want to caravan to Montrose. According to Google Maps it looks like it's a bun busting 4 hour trip from my house to Montrose. If anyone is planning to make the trip from the Denver area let me know your plans and maybe we can hook up. In all likleyhood if your heading from Denver you'll pass 1/4 mile from the homestead.

From what I can ascertain the bash is on Saturday the 25th, but there seems to be a Million Dollar Highway cruise set up for the Thursday before. Is this correct? What happens on Friday?

At this point I have a room reserved at the HIE for Friday and Saturday night. While my wife and I have been to many fly-ins in our RV-6 this will be a first in the Mustang.

We're looking forward to meeting everyone.

Gary Zilik
Pine Junction, CO
1967 Coupe, 289-4V, T-5

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/03/2016 10:55 AM  #2

Re: Denver to Montrose

Greetings, RV6

Welcome to the best place on the www for vintage mustangs.  The Bash is a great time. This year will be our 4th.  You will enjoy the camaraderie.  I do not recall many Colorado participants on the board, here, but I believe there may be several folks from places east of you, that may go through Denver on the way to Montrose.  We have family in the Springs area, and will be stopping there on the way to Montrose.

MS is travelling from TX and has some info posted regarding his route, and the million dollar cruise.  Friday activities are often coordinated by the host.  In past years there have been scenic drives, and days of just hanging out in the garage, attending to the affects of long road trips in old cars.  Wives seem to get their own things going.  All good fun.  Saturday is the Bash, when MS pops for burgers and sodas, and we hang out for the afternoon.  The post bash gatherings on Saturday evenings are fine wind up,(or wind down) gatherings for the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing you and your 67 coupe there!

3/04/2016 9:04 PM  #3

Welcome to the forum
I will be coming from Illinois I plan on leaving here on Tuesday and will arrive in Montrose Thursday.  A Lot of regulars to the bash arrive on thursday so If you can add a day you wont regret it!!  I think I will be thru Denver wednesday night and possibly stay in Denver area.  Look forward to meeting you!!

3/16/2016 8:15 PM  #4

RV6 wrote:

At this point I have a room reserved at the HIE for Friday and Saturday night. While my wife and I have been to many fly-ins in our RV-6 this will be a first in the Mustang.

We're looking forward to meeting everyone.

Gary Zilik
Pine Junction, CO
1967 Coupe, 289-4V, T-5

Welcome to the forum and welcome in advance to the Bash 13.  I think You'll really be glad you joined in.   The "cruise" over the Red Mountain Pass and the Million $$ Highway is just because when MS leaves home he becomes a tourist and he hates to miss anything.  IN 2011 Jean and I went over to the springs to hook up with the southern contingent, then to Kalispell, MT.  Ended up going to via Pikes Peak...yup, the top...'cause MS had never seen it and he was in tourist mode.  I was glad I had EFI in the 66 for that trip.

Friday is always kind of up in the air.  Last year we did a Texas Hill Country tour, in Tomball, TX a couple of years ago we all hung out at Glens shop and watched Tubo try to make his fastback go upside down.  No...alcohol was NOT involved!  The ladies always gang up and spend Friday doing girs stuff.  Usually some kind of shopping, lunch, home tours, shopping, etc. and we have plenty of that lined up for them this year.  Guys will want to spend at least part of the day scraping off the bugs and then we may take a cruise if anyone is interested...we have some nice cruise country around here.

So, like Terry said, if you can add Thursday night you'll probably be glad and your wife will have a chance to spend some time with the sisterhood.

See ya soon,

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/16/2016 11:52 PM  #5

Hi Gary, welcome to the board. I see you have an RV-6. I have seen pictures of the model with both standard and tricycle landing gear. The latter looks very similar to the American Yankee that I learned to fly in. Did you build it yourself? It really is a beautiful aircraft. One of my retired co-workers is working with a local (Seattle) aviation college to build an RV-6. He built an RV-8 himself after he retired. His name is Harold (Smitty) Smith.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/29/2016 10:19 AM  #6

Ron68 wrote:

Hi Gary, welcome to the board. I see you have an RV-6. I have seen pictures of the model with both standard and tricycle landing gear. The latter looks very similar to the American Yankee that I learned to fly in. Did you build it yourself? It really is a beautiful aircraft. One of my retired co-workers is working with a local (Seattle) aviation college to build an RV-6. He built an RV-8 himself after he retired. His name is Harold (Smitty) Smith.

The most frequently asked question of a RV driver is "Did you build it?" Yes I did. She's been flying for 16 years. I have built a 6A, 6 and 8A and currently have an RV-3 in very slow gestation in the shop. I neglected the mustang for years so it now car time for a while.

5/25/2016 2:08 PM  #7

Wife & I are flying commercial into Denver,1:00PM Thursday and renting  a car to drive to the Bash. IF that would fit into your plans.
BTW I was raised on a 1500ft grass runway, yeah EAA & all.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

5/27/2016 3:14 PM  #8

Tubo wrote:

Wife & I are flying commercial into Denver,1:00PM Thursday and renting  a car to drive to the Bash. IF that would fit into your plans.
BTW I was raised on a 1500ft grass runway, yeah EAA & all.

Tubo

Tubo,
We're about and hour and 15 minutes from DIA. You will travel within 1/2 mile of our house on the way to Montrose. When you hit the traffic light in Pine Junction you'll be 1/2 mile from the house. 

Unfortunately, we'll be heading out hours before 1PM. We look forward to meeting you and wife in Montrose.

Safe travels,

Gary

5/27/2016 6:25 PM  #9

Look forward to meeting you RV6. My RV7s engine cratered but thats OK we are driving the Mustang but now the transmission is in the shop. I hope we get there.  LOL

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

6/03/2016 8:01 AM  #10

red351 wrote:

Welcome RV6.  Wondering if you are going to be at the Mustang Roundup June 17th & 18th in Steamboat Springs.  We will be leaving PA on June 11th and will  be in Steamboat Springs June 16th till late afternoon of June 18th.  Would enjoy meeting you if you are going to be there, if not we will see you in Montrose.  Should be arriving in Montrose on June 23rd.  These dates could change if there are breakdowns, lets hope not.  Safe travels to all.  Mrsred351

Jean and BB will not be able to make the RMMR in Steamboat this year.  It's a really good show in a beautiful setting so I'm sure you folks will have a great time.  We'll see you on the 23rd.  We have a mass dinner reservation for 6:00 so get here in the mid afternoon an get settled. 

See ya then.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/07/2016 2:53 PM  #11

red351 wrote:

Welcome RV6.  Wondering if you are going to be at the Mustang Roundup June 17th & 18th in Steamboat Springs.  We will be leaving PA on June 11th and will  be in Steamboat Springs June 16th till late afternoon of June 18th.  Would enjoy meeting you if you are going to be there, if not we will see you in Montrose.  Should be arriving in Montrose on June 23rd.  These dates could change if there are breakdowns, lets hope not.  Safe travels to all.  Mrsred351

The weekends are to close together and while I would like to attend both I much prefer the small venue of Steve's Bash. We'll see you in a few weeks. The wife and I plan mid day arrival in Montrose on the 23rd.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.