FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2016 12:49 AM  #1

Does Anyone Have a Break in Stand?

I am getting ready to reinstall the engine in my 32 year long Shelby project and I have adrenal cancer, so I didn't want to risk having to remove it if there were any issues. So for the first time with any project, I want to run it and get the carbs adjusted before It gets installed in the car. Just too risky not to with headers and relatively fresh paint.
If anyone can point me in a direction It would be appreciated. 600.00-800.00 to run it on a dyno is just down right expensive.
                                                                            -Dan

8/21/2016 8:29 PM  #2

Re: Does Anyone Have a Break in Stand?

Sorry to hear the diagnosis. Sold my startup stand last year so I don't have one to offer. I decided it would be easier to buy one and then sell it after using for my 348 motor in my 65 fastback. Lone Star Manufacturing in Hurst sold them for about $450, and was custom made for the small block Ford. It included battery mount, bell housing and motor mount locations. It also had the hanger for the radiator and electric fan. Sometimes they appear on Craigslist, but if not one near you just search Walmart for the Mobile Engine Testing station. Get one for about $300 and sell it after you finish with it. Even if you only get $200 for it, having use of it for a few months is much cheaper than paying for a dyno for one afternoon. Good luck with the project and don't forget to post some pics of the progress.

8/21/2016 10:39 PM  #3

Re: Does Anyone Have a Break in Stand?

I have seen some in the 3-500.00 range. I called Kim Barr initially. WCH Engines in Waxahatchie has a 450.00 offering to break in and dyno tune. There is a time limit of 6 hours, and I gather it's 100.00 an hour over that.
I also won't have to mess up my coated headers.
Where I relocated from, no other place has the network they did in So Ca. Most of the hot rodders are slowly dying off, or getting to old to play the game anymore. Joe Reath did the bottom end on this engine originally, but pulling the car in and out of the garage and the damaged carb caused me to wash the oil off the cylinder walls over the years, so I had to go back through it, hone, new rings and bearings, cam, lifters and gaskets.   -Dan

Last edited by 1967 GT500 (8/21/2016 10:39 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.