FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2016 8:42 PM  #1

Painted my car

So I FINALLY painted my 65 FB and am pretty happy with it.  Below is a summary of the process.  I used TAMCO 5311 primer (http://www.tamcopaint.com/primers-and-sealers.html).  This is a high build urethane primer that goes on directly over bare metal.  I shot three coats with a cheap HF gun with a 1.8 tip and 30 psi at the gun (trigger wide open).  It's very thick and although it can be shot 4:1, I had to reduce it to 4:1:1 to get it to flow out.  It went on very well, minimal orange peel and sanded very easily.  After blocking, with an assortment of Durablocks, up to 220 grit, I shot another three coats and blocked it again to 400 grit.  I used all of two gallons, with about half of it ending up on the floor of my shop as sanding dust.  I'm very happy with this primer and because it's a high build DTM, I didn't have to shoot the car with an epoxy first.  This paint also contains haylox rust inhibitor and the paint company owner told me they used it to paint over a rusty hood and its sat outside for a couple of years with no rust through.

After this, I had TAMCO mix up some of their Duraflint single stage urethane in Dark British Racing Green:  (http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&paint=77272&ditzler=46968&syear=1996&smanuf=Jaguar&smake=Jaguar&smodel=&sname=British%20Racing%20Green&name=jaguar1996racinggreen&scomm=XJS&rows=50)

I know some of you base coat/clear coat guys will turn your noses up on single stage, but I reasoned it out this way:  The paint I used is supposed to be very UV resistant, but my car is going to be garaged anyway.  Also, I see clear coat failures every day - most on factory paint jobs.  I reasoned that if the factory couldn't do a good job under the kinds of super controlled robotic paint systems they use, I had little chance in my garage.  Also, my color - BRG - is non-metallic, so I knew I could cut and buff it without a clear coat.  I also wanted a paint job that I could touch up easily should I go through during a cut and buff (which I did) or if Ineeded to in the future.  Lastly, I wanted a lower shine reminiscent of the factory paint jobs and all of the clear coat finishes seemed too glossy to me. 

I shot the body on the first day, and the doors, hood, deck lid, valences, and other small parts on the next day.  I sprayed 4 coats on most parts using the same cheap HF gun, this time with a 1.4 tip and 25 psi at the gun (again, trigger wide open).  The paint went on well, no runs with a couple of minor sags that easily sanded out.  Some orange peel in some places, but about what you see on a lot of factory jobs.  The day I shot the body it was pouring rain (raining in Dallas in August!).  I was a little concerned so I contacted TAMCO and was told this would not be an issue.  I decided to hedge my bet.  Since I was painting in my garage that adjoins my shop (which has A/C), I ran the fresh air through my air conditioned shop into my garage (see the filters across the door and the A/C wall unit next to it, in the pic below) just in case.  I ended overflowing a 5 gallon bucket with A/C condensate on the day I painted.  I used a 25 gallon 5 hp compressor, following MS's advice to coil the line in a bucket of ice water upstream of a water trap.  I did not use a filter at the gun.  Below are a series of pics of me converting my garage into a temporary spray booth:

As above, fresh air is pulled though the filters across the door to my shop and was exhausted through the three box fans.  Although this setup was knocked together in a few hours, I didn't get any noticeable dust in the paint.  I wet sanded the paint by hand using Durablocks with 1000 grit, then followed with just a small flexible pad with 1500 grit, and then 2000.  I buffed using a Porter Cable 7424XP random orbital sander/polisher with Meguires 105 compound.  I initially tried a wool pad, but thought it left too many scratches/swirls, so I switched to a Lake County orange foam pad.  I buffed the entire car twice with this setup and then switched to Meguires 205 and a Lake Country white foam pad. I'm pretty happy with the result, but still have some slight swirls I still have to deal with - any suggestions?  Anyway, here's the car back in my shop after the cut and buff:

The second picture shows what the car looks like in lower light.  The light blotches on the side are from light filtering in through the windows.  The BRG I used is the darkest that was used and in low light almost looks black.  With all the orange peel gone, the paint looks very deep.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

8/30/2016 7:15 AM  #2

Re: Painted my car

Now you need to glaze it....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

8/30/2016 10:50 AM  #3

Looks nice! Good write up too, thanks for sharing...

8/30/2016 9:44 PM  #4

Very nice job.  What size are your wheels?  They look good

8/30/2016 10:23 PM  #5

Looks good.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/31/2016 9:45 PM  #6

jerseyjoe wrote:

I'm still working on removing some minor swirl marks.  Thinking of trying one of the LC black pads and maybe some other polishing compound other than Meguires 205.

8/31/2016 9:46 PM  #7

Ozblitz wrote:

Very nice job. What size are your wheels? They look good

They're Rev Classic 100 17X7 in the front and 17X8 in the back.

10/14/2016 11:13 PM  #8

jkordzi wrote:

jerseyjoe wrote:

I'm still working on removing some minor swirl marks.  Thinking of trying one of the LC black pads and maybe some other polishing compound other than Meguires 205.

I usually wet sand with 1000 or 1500 then do 3m or meguires set 2 compound with a compound pad. Then I step up to meguires step 3 finishing with a foam pad. That should cut any swirls out. Stick away from the edges. And follow the figure 8 method and you should be fine. Lol as long as your not the dur dug dur in my class that couldn't find a polisher so he grabbed a grinder and put on the pad lol. He sure took that paint down lol. Hilarious to see the after math of him attempting to Polish a newly painted car.

10/21/2016 3:55 PM  #9

Electric fans like those are great for moving air, but they are possible ignition sources for paint vapors !!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/29/2016 9:52 PM  #10

MS wrote:

Electric fans like those are great for moving air, but they are possible ignition sources for paint vapors !!!

Possible, yes, and I was concerned until I'd read about many home paint jobs that used them (I actually got mine from a guy who just finished using them to paint his Porsche.  My view was that I was moving so much air through my paint booth that the concentration never had a chance to get high enough to ignite. 

5/30/2017 4:22 PM  #11

jkordzi; IT Looks great! you have a fine looking ride there! You did it yourself and did a great job! Be proud as you did a very nice job! it will last for years and I am certain you will have a lot of  fun with it! 390s are are great power plants! Great job with the write up and responses! Jerry

10/12/2017 12:47 AM  #12

Looking good. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.