FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2016 4:50 PM  #1

what/how to repair drip rail on 66 coupe

I am starting body work on 66  Coupe and have questions about roof drip rail. The original body filler/sealer was cracked and surface rust on top/inside of drip rail. I removed filler/sealer and rust. What product do I use to surface finish top of drip rail. I tried Seam Sealer but do not like the results. May need to use longer working time on sealer. Or should I use body filler? Nothing at all? Any suggestions?
Thanks

10/23/2016 8:57 PM  #2

Re: what/how to repair drip rail on 66 coupe

After cleaning/stripping everything out of drip rail channel to bare metal, I would spray the channel with Epoxy primer then come back an fill in with 3m seam sealer firm.  I know, it's very expensive and there's other cheaper brands, but I have come to realization that, it has to be 3m.  Others just don't work as good.
After the seam sealer then you can prime w/ 2k primer filler.

10/24/2016 7:19 PM  #3

Thanks for response. I used seam sealer from a cartrige. SEM Beige from Eastwood. I think I put it on to thick and the work time for product was very short. 5 minutes I think. It does not look good.
Is there a better technique like brush on or should I use cartridge type. I think I can use Acetone or something along those lines to help with smoothing/spreading out product.

10/25/2016 7:14 PM  #4

I tried the Eastwood brand and I thought it was worse than the off brand at the auto paint store.  I don't recall the name of the off brand, but it was a silver tube with green lettering.  Again, I have to say there is No substitute for 3M, #8505.  Sorry, I know it's $30 a tube.

10/26/2016 5:24 AM  #5

Thanks for part#  of 3M sealer
I quests my main question now is technique for applying sealer. Use cartridge type and smooth with finger or tool?
Use brush
Body work is not my skill , just want to do most of the work my self   You know therapy. Car body is in good shape overall for it's age. Had floor pan replaced. The rest I am trying to do
Thanks for your time and expertise

10/28/2016 7:20 PM  #6

I would run a line of masking tape about 1/4 inch away from area you want to seal, then apply even bead all the way thru area you need.  Upon laying it down come back w/ your finger an run it all the way thru the area you sealed in one pass if you can.  This will show a continuous spread and looks clean.  Try to press tighter near the tape line so when you peel the tape it doesn't show a hard line.  Try to practice a little on something til you get a feel for it.  Also try to find as many areas toy want to seal as you can so, you can do them all at the same time.  Such as, door, trunk, jambs or engine bay seams.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.