FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2014 2:59 PM  #1

How to notch pistons for bigger valves/higher lift cams for fun

I’m running a 91 non HO engine and wanted to install heads with bigger valves and a cam with much higher lift than stock. To find out where I stood for piston to valve clearance, I bolted the new heads to the block with no head gasket. Installed two solid lifters with new cam and rotated the crank by hand. I found the intakes just kissed the piston and the exhaust just touched the carbon on top of the piston. That was my starting point.
Since I didn’t want to use the new heads for the notching and didn’t relish the thought of placing and removing the old cast iron head 20 – 30 times, I opted to cut the ends off one head. Also, since I wanted to do the notching with the piston at TDC, I needed to mill the combustion chamber for depth and clearance for the increased valve diameter.

I had some 6” 50 grit sanding discs so I roughed up the faces of some valves, rough cut some circles out of the discs with snips and stuck them on the valves with some 5 minute epoxy. With a drop of oil in the guide, install the valve and attach a hand drill to the protruding valve stem. Spinning the valve with the drill, grind the sanding disc round with a hand held 90 degree grinder. I ground the disc to .060” over the new valve size to allow a little wiggle room.

I made two stops to be able to set the depth of the notch.

I wanted .120” piston to valve clearance, so I found a 5/16” washer .080” thick, then notched it to slide over the valve stem. With a .040 head gasket, this would give me the clearance I wanted. So the process that I used was rotate the crank until the piston was about ½” below the deck and smear some grease around the cyl. wall. Then continue rotating the crank until the piston is at TDC. I did this to capture the grinding dust and it worked well. Place the head on the block as noted below, again, without a head gasket. Once tightened, slide the valves down until they contact the piston. Put the washer on the stem and slide the stop down, pinching the washer between the valve guide and the stop. Tighten the lock screw on the stop and remove the washer. Using the drill again on the valve stem, spin it up and with light pressure on the drill, allow it to grind into the piston until the stop is against the valve guide. Do both valves, remove head and clean out the grinding dust with a shop vac. Lower the piston and wipe any grease out of the bore with a clean rag. Move to the next piston and repeat. With the 50 grit I could do 3 pistons before the edge of the disc showed enough wear to be a concern. And yes, a couple of the disc came off the valve while grinding, no harm, no foul. I wound up using a total of 8 valves counting the 2 that came off.
For numbers 1,4,5 and 8 pistons, the head would be partially located with the dowel in the block. I used four bolts to hold the head down and tightened them once with the head slid down against the head bolts to do the first notch, then loosened and shoved the head up, retightened and ran the notching tool again.

You can still see the grease in the second piston before I wiped it down.
Got a couple of thousand miles on the engine now including a few trips down the quarter mile. No problems.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

4/06/2014 9:25 PM  #2

Re: How to notch pistons for bigger valves/higher lift cams for fun

Cool.  I liked the idea to use a washer to determine the depth of cut.  They actually make a flycutter tool that fits into the valve guide to do the same thing you did.

Interesting that you found how close the water passages are to the combustion chamber in your sectioned head.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/21/2014 9:38 AM  #3

That's some "olde school" work there! where there's a will, there's a way! good job and thanks for sharing that!

10/01/2014 2:54 AM  #4

I want some friends I can go level with or take some ops. Hard to find people on during my play time because I'm in the USA. I am currently Protopharma but I can switch on my own to whichever faction. I prefer anti-city.

10/29/2016 7:41 PM  #5

MikkyHarren wrote:

I want some friends I can go level with or take some ops. Hard to find people on during my play time because I'm in the USA. I am currently Protopharma but I can switch on my own to whichever faction. I prefer anti-city.

Spam? Or meth?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.