FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2017 7:22 PM  #1

Strut rod bracket placement 1970

Welded in my strut rod brackets today and thought I would share some information if anyone was interested. I could not find any information as to the measurements or locating points for the original location points so I took measurements before disassembly. when all was said and done I see FORD was not that precise in making things symmetrical but have installed them where I ​thought they should be from my original measurements. I decided to make them 3-3/8 side to inner edge of hole, 6 1/2 front to edge of hole, and 20" edge to edge from bracket to bracket inner edge of hole 50 degree angle from support.

3/09/2017 7:24 PM  #2

Re: Strut rod bracket placement 1970

6/20/2018 7:44 AM  #3

I know a'm late reading this but I have had these fail.
After replacing one on a 68 Mustang, the owner was driving at a slow speed (thankfully)  and the center where the bushings bolts in, came un-spotwelded  and dropped down, he was able to pull off the road and call a tow truck.  If you use these repos, I would do some more welding on the center part.

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it over!

6/21/2018 12:46 PM  #4

The welding from the factory left a lot to be desired. I have seen quite a few that looked like a string of bird poop laid on the weld seam.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/21/2018 8:11 PM  #5

bad427cat wrote:

I know a'm late reading this but I have had these fail.
After replacing one on a 68 Mustang, the owner was driving at a slow speed (thankfully)  and the center where the bushings bolts in, came un-spotwelded  and dropped down, he was able to pull off the road and call a tow truck.  If you use these repos, I would do some more welding on the center part.

Thanks for the heads up bad427cat I will look into it.

6/21/2018 8:14 PM  #6

Rudi wrote:

The welding from the factory left a lot to be desired. I have seen quite a few that looked like a string of bird poop laid on the weld seam.

Kind of like mine I suppose but they made it 48 years I think my bird poop welds might hold up. LOL.

7/04/2018 4:58 PM  #7

Just remember that these brackets get most of the braking stress forces and the full brunt of a pothole or curb hit.  Make them as strong as you can, then a bit stronger.  I dont mean to be critical and I can't see your other welds, but hopefully these are tack welds.

7/05/2018 7:18 PM  #8

66 coupe those are tack welds I have so many welds on the car I cannot ever imagine that any one would fail and if one does there are ten others that will back it up.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.