FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2017 10:18 AM  #1

Car show tickets should never be more than $10

I want to go with some friends and family to the Good Guys car show this weekend.  Went twice before, but I'm not going again.  A car show should be $10 max.  It's $50 to bring your ride ( I assume that includes admission) and general admission $20.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are basically making money off of cars people PAY THEM to display.  I don't expect it to be free, you have operating cost....but that's an expensive ticket for regular folk.  

3/16/2017 11:34 AM  #2

Re: Car show tickets should never be more than $10

Yes butt (TS&T), with just a little luck, for your money you can also get: 

Scratched paint
Dinged doors
Coke, mustard, or ketchup dribbled on your car
Dog pee on your wheels

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/16/2017 1:56 PM  #3

Funny you should mention it!
Today/tomorrow /and Sad-dee we're having the biggest carshow of the season here at the beach.
Usually about 3000 entries and a "pot-full" of guys like us that just like to cruise up and down the blvd. with everybody else.
Can't say I didn't invite a bunch of ya!!!!!
We got a house full of palz with partying and hot rodz on our braingz!!
Cold weather don't stop us!!!!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/16/2017 5:54 PM  #4

My Dad and I started going to the Atlantic City Car Show when I was probably about 10 or 12.  He used to call me out of school on Friday so we could see it when it wasn't swamped on Saturday.  It was a great time year after year.  My uncle bought his '66 Chevelle SS 396 convertible there one year.  I used to buy tons of parts for my Mustang there to save shipping cost, especially on big items like bumpers.  Tickets were about $5, and were more like $10 the last year my Dad and I went together.  The year my Dad got sick I went with a friend from college and we took pictures of all the cars my Dad would have wanted to see so we could show them to him when we got back (Oldsmobile 442 convertibles were probably his favorite).  After my Dad passed I kept going, but more sporadically.  Carlisle was also a good show so I tended to alternate years.  The last year I went was with my wife when we were first married.  Tickets were $20 each and it cost us over $50 to eat (burgers, fries, and sodas), so $90 without buying anything.  There were only a handful of parts vendors, mostly it was junky made in China tools.  There were still some really nice cars, but the event was smaller and weaker while being more expensive.  So I stopped going.  At that point all it was doing was sullying the memories I had of going with my Dad when I was a kid. 

So, I completely agree.  Honestly, I think admission should be $5 or free.  Or, if they really want to make money it should be free with a recommended donation of $5 (you rake in money like that; we do it at church all the time, people always put in at least $10).  A cost to show your car?  Sure, I get that, you can win a trophy.  In recent years I've found the quality of local shows has really improved, costs are still reasonable too.  Most of the vo-tech high schools have one every year.  The culinary program, handles the food, and the kids bring their cars to show.  My son has been to a couple and really, really likes them.  That kid can't do anything for more than ten minutes other than watch cartoons, but he can look at cars all day.  That's what car shows are supposed to be about; making memories between sons and fathers leading young people into our sickness, er, hobby. 

3/16/2017 8:39 PM  #5

Some one on this forum used to say paying to attend a car show gives you a place to park your car while attending that car show. That pretty much how I see it. I only attend local shows that I know the money is going to charity. They are rarely more than $20 pre register, $25 day of. Some are not judged some are. I have never considered my car a show car but I have won a few trophies. I just see it as spending a day with a bunch of other car guys.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

3/17/2017 9:14 AM  #6

There are a number of local and semi-local shows here that charge $20 or $25 to register a car for the show.  I normally attend three or four a year and, like BillyC says, I go to hang with friends and acquaintances that appreciate the hobby.  Yes, I'm cynical about having to pay for the privilege putting on a show for the "common folk" and occasionally something bad can happen.  However, my previous post notwithstanding, my overall experience at shows has been good and even enlightening sometimes and I just write off the cost as part of the expense of owning and enjoying a classic car.   And, usually it is a good way to have a decent parking place while I attend the show.

But, $50 plus ... I may have to think about that.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/17/2017 9:16 AM  #7

I think I read last year that (technically) the state fair of Texas puts on the largest car show in the world based on the number or visitors.  (FYI, fair last almost a month and it's a pretty big volume of cars on display. They count anyone having gone to the fair as also having gone to car show.)  Fair tickets are $18 dollars full price with a dozen promotions going on so that most people don't pay full price.  A little bit of apples and oranges but in the end there is no shortage of open areas and lots to stage quality car shows that would reduce cost to allow for less than $20 a ticket.  Maybe if they guaranteed that half of my ticket went to charity I wouldn't feel bad.  As for now, screw them.

Last edited by TremendousWand (3/17/2017 9:17 AM)

3/17/2017 10:47 AM  #8

The best shows  (cruise in's etc).  will probably always be free.   That said, the last one I went to a couple of guys had a loud scream and shout match that almost came to blows because someone touched a motorcycle, or leaned over it too far or some other.   We was near it and had to hear it, as I was oogling over a 50's something Chrysler that someone brought with a satin black paint job.   Seemed like it was the most popular car there.  Come to think of it, sort of like the Vandalia bash.   I guess everyone loves those old Chryslers.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/17/2017 12:01 PM  #9

red351 wrote:

Over the years they have bought up most of the real estate around them, so they control parking fees. Their answer to lower sales every year is to just raise the cost.

So its run by the government?  I'm seeing an all too familiar pattern...

3/17/2017 1:32 PM  #10

GoodGuys is definitely the worst of all of the car show series I've seen, pricewise. I'd like to go just once just for the experience because it's a huge show, but I'm well aware that it's a "just once" thing. No way in hell I need to spend 50 bucks to put Jane on display. If I had a real show stopper that had a chance at winning their prize packages, yeah, okay. But I've just got a fun daily driver Mustang that gets driven thousands of miles a year and has the dings and dents to show for it.

I do like going to local car shows, but honestly I don't go to many. $20 is my cap, and charity is good. Don't like paying over 20 bucks for a field of 20 cars, with no extra services (music/food/whatever) and no charity. It's happened before and I immediately regretted it.

Now, Cars and Coffee or cruise-in type events are really my jam! There's a few good ones here in Austin though they're not giant. But hey, it is what it is (free and fun)!

"Calamity Jane" - Insane road warrior powered by hopes and dreams and piloted by an idiot.

3/17/2017 7:36 PM  #11

I'm right there with you Kelly,  I don't like paying more than $20, maybe $25 if you get a shirt? There's a club out here in Houston who put on several shows every couple months, but when they start saying $35 the day of, that's getting out of hand.

3/17/2017 9:32 PM  #12

Come to the MustangSteve BASH.
ONCE A YEAR.
FREE CAR SHOW.  NO prizes.  Just FUN
GREAT FRIENDS ATTEND FROM ENTIRE USA.
You won't regret coming.
This year... Ft Walton Beach, FL.  October 7

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/19/2017 1:32 AM  #13

The show that my club, Mustangs Northwest, puts on each year costs $20 to enter your car in the show. It also costs spectators $20 per carload to park and view the show. In our case, we hold the show on a college campus, because there aren't many venues that can park upwards of 1000 cars.  We have to rent the lots that we use for the show, both spectator parking and the show lots. We have to pay to rent the 36 radios that we use for communication with our volunteers. We have to pay for the rental of the sound system we use throughout the lots for announcements. We have to pay to rent the 12 standard and handicapped Porti Potties that we place among the lots. We have to pay the college for groundskeepers who keep the trash cans dumped throughout the day. We have to pay for two security people to patrol the lots during show hours. We have to pay for the over 250 trophies in 53 classes that we award during the show. We have one of the largest annual Mustang shows in the nation. Yes, we do get some money from our vendors and sponsors, but it isn't enough to cover the costs of the show and still have seed money left over for next year's show. To me, $20 is more than fair for a show.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/19/2017 11:59 AM  #14

Individual locations are going to vary in terms of whats available to put on a show.  When there are costs to defray its hard to argue.  I think though that there's a world of difference between organizing a local club show and one of these giant shows that draws thousands or even tens of thousands of people.  Places like Carlisle don't have to pay for the venue; they own it, and have made enough profit over the years to buy even more land.  They get paid by vendors, participants, and attendees.  Clearly they are raking in money, yet instead of being content to be reasonable they decide to be greedy and gouge people.  Then when people get sick of it and move on they double gouge those who remain loyal and continue to attend. 

In the end I suppose its less about the cost of admission and more about the perception of value.  When ticket prices soar and they gouge attendees on food, drinks, parking, etc. the perceived value is low.  That's the real issue I have with the AC show, especially when the cost skyrocketed while the show itself started to suck.  I think I'd have less trouble paying $20 for entrance if the show was first rate and the parking, food, etc was reasonable.  When a family of three or four is forking over $100+ just to get in, park, and eat that's hardly reasonable.  I can go to our local Oktoberfest and spend $150 and have fun all afternoon, eat all manner of wurst, park, drink good Deutches bier, and my kid can go on twenty different rides for free.  A bit of apples and oranges I know, but my point is the perceived value is much higher. 

3/19/2017 12:29 PM  #15

This "thang" was great this year.....just like past years. Lasted 3 days....cost 45 bucks to park/show your car(math sez...15 per day) All goes to 3 charities.
Parking is..were ever you can find it.  They do provide security for overnite parking. Port o lets.....food....traffic cops.
They have 3 huge 50/50 raffles/drawings. Put on by a local car club. Myrtle Beach supports it really well considering all the traffic, "noise", and maybe occasional  burn out when leaving. The Po-Po sorta look the other way on that part.
I'm sure there is a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff  John Q Public is unaware of.

My good buddy bought a nice looking F-1 pickup while there.1949..Of course it has  Chevy running gear IRS...coil over front...4 wheel disc brakes.."cammed-up" 350 crate motor. Very mild IMHO but sounds and runs  very nice.
Needs a trick paint job and mild body work. No rust butt several 60+ year old dings that show up under a "hot-rod flat black" paint.

There was many-many big block-blown-dual 4 barrel  killer engine cars in attendance. One guy(who is a regular at the local shows) had his 66 Chevelle with engine hanging out  of every crevice of the hood that gave everybody a "woodie" when he fired it up!! He was telling us it got a solid 3 mpg.
BUTT...it did run on pump gas!!
Another guy had his 504BBC powered 66 Nova. Blower...dual quads...the-whole-ball. Naturally it was tubb'ed to the max. It would do a really nice chirp when sliding it into gear. When sitting in traffic(pump gas car also!) it would start surging forward so much it would start barking the tires everytime it surge. At that point he would hafta slip it in neutral. IMHO.....very nice little street/strip driver or DD!!
Ya'll missed it.
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/19/2017 12:32 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/20/2017 7:54 AM  #16

Ron68 wrote:

It also costs spectators $20 per carload to park and view the show.

​$20 per carload would be reasonable.  $20 PER PERSON is not, IMO.  I'm not expecting it to be free, but this clearly seems to be organized as a for profit venture.

Last edited by TremendousWand (3/20/2017 7:55 AM)

3/21/2017 10:12 PM  #17

So $50 dollars for a 3 day event (more like 2 1/2 day event) is too much? You guys are tight wads! I'm pretty sure registration also includes 2 admission tickets along with your vehicle registration and if you register early it's $40.

John

Last edited by HenryJ (3/21/2017 10:12 PM)

3/21/2017 10:33 PM  #18

It's $50 for one day. IIRC it's $120 for the full 3 day event?

"Calamity Jane" - Insane road warrior powered by hopes and dreams and piloted by an idiot.

3/22/2017 8:05 AM  #19

For all vehicles 1972 and older, we offer the opportunity for you to participate in and display your vehicle at the show with a "Show & Shine Registration" good for all three days of the event. Your registration comes with space to display your vehicle as well as a Goodguys Goodie Bag, (2) Adult Weekend Passes, Children's Passes, the chance to participate in Goodguys AutoCross, win a Goodguys Award and more!

As a Goodguys Member, you will save $10 Off the At-Event price and only pay $45 if you Pre-Register to display your vehicle no later than two weeks prior to the start of the event.  After the Pre-Registration deadline has passed, you can still register your vehicle online up until the day before the event begins, but will be charged the At-Event price of $55. 

Not a Goodguys member? No problem! You can register your vehicle for our Show & Shine at At-Event Registration the weekend of the event for a cost of $70.

Or... Become a Goodguys Member for as little as $20 (Silver Membership) or $35 (Gold Membership). Your Goodguys membership not only gets you 12 monthly digital or hard-copy issues of the Goodguys Gazette Magazine, it also gets you loads of exclusive Goodguys Members-Only benefits and perks including discounts on car registrations, access to the Goodguys "Good Deals" Member Discount Program, a personalized ID card and more!

3/22/2017 8:08 AM  #20

I would not complain about a 10 buck entree fee, the Mustang Club of America car shows that used to attend would cost me between $ 2000.00 to $ 3500.00 dollars getting to an event depending on the distance from home.
 The actual show entry fee varied from host club to host club but was always well over $60.00 for the three day events which in itself was really a bargain considering the logistics, trophys and security involved.
 In the 20 some odd years I roughly spent close to $30,000.00 going to those car shows.
 The many friendships that are made, the great people, getting to see 300 to 400 Mustangs in one place and the many many miles of driving an old classic to get there and back kinda makes it all worth while.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/22/2017 11:07 PM  #21

HenryJ wrote:

So $50 dollars for a 3 day event (more like 2 1/2 day event) is too much? You guys are tight wads! I'm pretty sure registration also includes 2 admission tickets along with your vehicle registration and if you register early it's $40.

John

^^^^^^^^^^........tell'em Henry
Don't forget too...........most of the time you can deduct it off your taxes!
6s6

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.