FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2017 6:50 PM  #1

Power Steering Pump issues

I switched from a V Belt System to a Serpentine Belt System.   I have a Unisteer Rack System with there pump.  Went to fire it up and of course there is no power steering.   I've had the System since 2009.  I switched the upper fitting so I could route the power steering pressure pump from the top instead of in front of the pump.  I took the pump to a local shop to have them take off the V belt pulley and install the serpentine pulley.  Not sure what the problem is but to me it sounds like the pump.  The fluid never went down when the engine was running.  I pulled the pressure hose off and turned the pump by hand and there nothing coming out of the pump.  Any input on this would be great!   I'm ready to be done with the Unisteer  Pump and put a 5.0 pump on it.   Thanks Steve

3/21/2017 8:28 PM  #2

Re: Power Steering Pump issues

It sounds like a pump problem. Does it make noise at all?

3/21/2017 9:23 PM  #3

Steve69 wrote:

I'm ready to be done with the Unisteer  Pump and put a 5.0 pump on it.   Thanks Steve

There ya go.  Works fine...lasts a long time.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/22/2017 2:54 AM  #4

Another option would be a Saginaw pump it would work very nicely with the rack and pinion. The psi that it runs at is perfect for the rack. Does anyone here know how many psi the 5.0 pumps run at? If i remember correctly the rack runs at about 750 psi.

3/22/2017 5:03 AM  #5

No noise.  Runs smooth like it should.  I'm going to Call Unisteer today and see what they can do.  I really don't want spend $450 for a new pump.  I can probably by 4 5.0 pumps for that amount...LOL   I know my power steering hose a A6 fitting on it.  Anyone know the size thread on the pressure side of the 5.0 pump.  There must be a fitting out there that will connect the line to the pump.

3/22/2017 6:23 AM  #6

Steve, Ford uses that O-ring, swiveling fitting on the pressure side and I don't know where to get one.  What I did way back when was to buy a pressure hose for a towncar (or any Ford)  and have is coupled to a new lower section for the stock PS.  When I went to the Borg box I cut the crush sleeve off of the Ford fitting, salvaged the fitting, and had my hydraulic guy re-use that Ford fitting on a new section of hose along with the fittings required to mate to the AN adapters in the Borg.

Make sense?

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/22/2017 7:58 AM  #7

S69, I am at this point in my Borg install. (looking for hoses and pump) I am planning on using the 5.0 pump and AN fittings. I may go the BB route and use a set of Ford hoses and just have one end adapted. I am curious to see what you end up using. This link may help with the fitting size.
https://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0014/s0008/FR1636

Last edited by KStang (3/22/2017 1:35 PM)

3/22/2017 10:31 AM  #8

When I had to put a new fitting on the Unisteer pump that entered straight up from the pump to replace the Banjo fitting I did find an adapter at Parker Ritter.   It was 16mm to 6A fitting and they one in stock.   I called Unisteer on the Pump this morning and they think I have debris in the pump cylinder.  So I'm going to check that out.  They said the pumps are bullet proof and had no problems with them.  But they did they say they do stand by them and would replace it for me.   I was looking at my set up and I have a EFI fuel commander tank on the Drivers side and unless I move that I don't think there's enough room for the 5.0 pump.  It would be to far over to the frame rail.   Thanks for all the help guys.  Ill keep you posted.   Steve

3/22/2017 11:26 AM  #9

You can buy 6an to oring or inverted flare from summit or jegs. Jegs seemed to have better prices when I purchased them for my j rack swap.

The j rack used 16mm male oring and 18mm male oring.

3/22/2017 11:28 AM  #10

On another note Steve how do you like the fitech fuel injection system? I've heard really great reviews on them.

3/22/2017 11:29 AM  #11

True74yamaha wrote:

You can buy 6an to oring or inverted flare from summit or jegs. Jegs seemed to have better prices when I purchased them for my j rack swap.

The j rack used 16mm male oring and 18mm male oring.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russell-648060-TBI-Adapter-Fitting-/172383562051?hash=item2822dc6943:g:kvIAAOSwnbZYC3AC&vxp=mtr

3/22/2017 11:33 AM  #12

True74yamaha wrote:

On another note Steve how do you like the fitech fuel injection system? I've heard really great reviews on them.

I've had pretty good luck with it.   I didn't get as many miles on it last summer because my car was burning up V belts.   The first start this spring since last October was Great.  Turn the key. prime the pump for 2 seconds and fired up and idled nicely.   The only issue I've noticed if you let it sit for long periods of time it will drain your battery down to nothing.  I was thinking of installing a switch to shut the system off when I'm not running the car.  Other than that the cold and hot starts are great and everything else in between are good. 

3/22/2017 7:00 PM  #13

I have been using KRC steering pumps lately and think they are the best. They have various configurations and I have been able to make their stuff work where everything else was a mess. They look good too!

3/22/2017 7:38 PM  #14

DC wrote:

I have been using KRC steering pumps lately and think they are the best. They have various configurations and I have been able to make their stuff work where everything else was a mess. They look good too!

Ill look them up DC!

Thanks

3/22/2017 8:16 PM  #15

Go to Speedway for best deals on KRC pumps. A cheaper alternative is one of their iron circle track pumps around $100, same design as KRC.
I have had a KRC pump on my 66 since around 2005. Totally quiet with zero seepage or leaks, plus they offer numerous different flow rate fittings for them.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/23/2017 5:13 AM  #16

MS wrote:

Go to Speedway for best deals on KRC pumps. A cheaper alternative is one of their iron circle track pumps around $100, same design as KRC.
I have had a KRC pump on my 66 since around 2005. Totally quiet with zero seepage or leaks, plus they offer numerous different flow rate fittings for them.

Thanks for Info MS!

3/23/2017 7:25 AM  #17

Borgeson makes a hose kit for the Borgeson conversion using a Ford pump.  The hose kit part number is 925107.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

3/23/2017 1:58 PM  #18

almcgee wrote:

Borgeson makes a hose kit for the Borgeson conversion using a Ford pump.  The hose kit part number is 925107.

Thanks Al! 

3/23/2017 1:59 PM  #19

Bullet Bob wrote:

Steve, Ford uses that O-ring, swiveling fitting on the pressure side and I don't know where to get one.  What I did way back when was to buy a pressure hose for a towncar (or any Ford)  and have is coupled to a new lower section for the stock PS.  When I went to the Borg box I cut the crush sleeve off of the Ford fitting, salvaged the fitting, and had my hydraulic guy re-use that Ford fitting on a new section of hose along with the fittings required to mate to the AN adapters in the Borg.

Make sense?

Thanks for the info BB

4/16/2017 8:49 AM  #20

Update on the power steering pump. I sent my pump off to Unisteer and they said when the Serpentine belt pulley was installed it ruined the pump.  I took it to a shop to take the pulley off and put the serpentine pulley on for me.  I didn't see any damage and it moved freely.  Not sue how they damaged it. So Unisteer sent me a new pump with the serpentine pulley at no charge which was nice of them.  The new pumps pulley was out farther.  So I had to redo my spacers and brackets to make sure it lined up ok. There was a slight bit of play on the shaft and pulley.  I hope that's not a problem down the road.  I think I have it pretty close.  My 50 year old eyes don't work like they use too..LOL   So I fired it up and I have power steering again and it works well.  With the V belt when I turned to end to end it would make some funky squeal noise at the end of lock. I think due to belt slippage.  Well it doesn't do that with the serpentine belt.  The belt being really tight with the tensioner it doesn't slip or squeal anymore.  Thanks for your comments and help.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.