FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2017 12:22 PM  #1

Oil pressure sender 5.0 with serpentine belt interference

All, BB

66 coupe with 5.0' EFI and serpentine setup from 88  TBird.

I am having an issue with the sender interfering with the back of the power steering pump (original Ford). I was using the 66 sender to work with my factory guage, now that I am adding the Borgeson PS I am installing the pump it interferes. I have the Ford extension tube with a 90 not the 45. I assumed that a 45 adapter would give me the clearance that I need, but it isn't enough.

Has anyone else had this issue with the PS pump and sender? Is there a smaller package sender available?

I can add another tube but more connections, ugly and more possible leaks and further interference with header .....

Any help and pics would be appreciated.

Thx

3/25/2017 12:34 PM  #2

Re: Oil pressure sender 5.0 with serpentine belt interference

Does it matter which way the sender is oriented? Can I install it up from the bottom? Connector down to the ground.

3/25/2017 3:33 PM  #3

KStang,

I'm have a 5.0 roller in my 65 coupe running the Fox single serp set up with Fox PS pump.
I used an extension with the 45 angle and I don't have any clearance issues.  I harvested the extension from a mid 70's Ford land yacht......only difference is it's steel vs alum...
Here's  a pic...may not be the best but even with my clutch cable running by it, there's plenty of room....

3/25/2017 6:54 PM  #4

Jkebob thx, the pipe I used was from an 80' s econoline and doesn't have the angle. I see from your pic that with the angle at the end of the tube you get a little more reach which helps clear the pump. I ended up rotating the tube 180 and threading the sender up from the bottom. Lots of room that way.

What type of steering are you using? How does the Ford pump work with it?

I also,see that you have cast manifolds with cable clutch. Are they HiPo? Any clearance issues?

Thx

3/25/2017 7:03 PM  #5

3/25/2017 7:05 PM  #6

3/25/2017 7:43 PM  #7

Josh....even after all our talk, and my great advice, you didn't Por 15 your HIPO mannys? 

Kstang;  Looks like you figgered it out.  FYI, I'm running the 66 extension and sender behind the stock 5.0 PS pump.  I do have a "standard" 5.0 two-belt drive but the back belt/pump is in the same location as the single serpentine setup. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/25/2017 8:45 PM  #8

KStang wrote:

Jkebob thx, the pipe I used was from an 80' s econoline and doesn't have the angle. I see from your pic that with the angle at the end of the tube you get a little more reach which helps clear the pump. I ended up rotating the tube 180 and threading the sender up from the bottom. Lots of room that way.

What type of steering are you using? How does the Ford pump work with it?

I also,see that you have cast manifolds with cable clutch. Are they HiPo? Any clearance issues?

Thx

The steering set up is all original and rebuilt by Randy.
The manifolds are HiPo's and there isn't any clearance issues.

I rebuilt the 5.0 last spring but haven't fired it yet so, I can't give you feedback on the pump....shouldn't have any issues...

3/25/2017 8:48 PM  #9

Bullet Bob wrote:

Josh....even after all our talk, and my great advice, you didn't Por 15 your HIPO mannys? 

Kstang;  Looks like you figgered it out.  FYI, I'm running the 66 extension and sender behind the stock 5.0 PS pump.  I do have a "standard" 5.0 two-belt drive but the back belt/pump is in the same location as the single serpentine setup. 

BB

Well Professor BB, I intend to heed your academic advice on the HiPo's.......in fact, I've purchased the POR 15.....now if I could get some time off, I'd throw the manifolds in the blaster then slather on some POR 15.....someday soon this step should take place.......

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.