FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2017 6:39 AM  #1

AOD transmission TV cable adjustment

I need some help here guys. I have a freshly rebuilt AOD transmission in my 65 coupe behind 302.   The transmission shop is telling me to set the TV cable pressure at 25 to 30 PSI with the engine warm in neutral   And forget it  The lokar kit Ipurchased with the cable and mounting brackets is telling me to set the TV cable pressure at 35 PSI with their tour installed in neutral  then remove the total pressure should go to zero and have immediate response when throttle in the vehicle.  I don't know which way to set the pressure correctly I keep hearing if it's that wrong I will damage the transmission that I don't want to do   Is there a correct way for which way should I set it to be sure I won't damage the transformation

3/19/2017 7:33 AM  #2

Re: AOD transmission TV cable adjustment

I used the stock AOD cable and brackets from the Lincoln TC donor car (CV, Merc) and have  always adjusted it according to the instructions below and have never had a problem.  Over time I have evolved to this:  With the throttle completely closed (EFI, on a carb make sure it isn't up on the fast idle cam), I adjust the cable so that it starts to pull the transmission lever at the instant the throttle arm starts to move (no slack but not pulled either).  This has always provided the proper kick-down and OD drop-out needed.  At one point I had it just slightly tight and when coming to a stop it wanted to hold OD a bit too long.  I backed off the TV cable just a bit and that solved the problem.  Since then I just take the time to adjust the cable so it allows zero, or just a tiny bit of throttle movement without attendant TV movement.  This will give you zero to 5lbs TV pressure at idle and that's what you want.  As long as the parts you bought have the same geometry as the stock stuff it should work great.

These instruction are for stock linkage but you can get the idea for the aftermarket stuff.
http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/19/2017 7:35 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/19/2017 9:29 AM  #3

That's an okay way of adjusting the cable.

1 The specs say male sure throttle is closed completely

2 make sure when wot is achieved that you can't go to the engine and pull the throttle back farther then where the pedal goes.

3 push the extend button on the cable, go to the car and with one solid push on the accelerator pedal go all the way to the floor. The cable will usually make a loud noise this is normal.

4 go under the hood of the car,after completing the last step the cable should have ratcheted out to the exact amount needed to have to correct tension when at wot.

5 pull back throttle to wot, then feel the tv cable. It should be tight as a band sting when at full range. If it's not then it's not correctly adjusted. This will wreck that transmission.

A good practice is to puah slightly forward on when the cable snaps into place. See if you get any moment there. If so you need to fix that as this will make the cable not adjust correctly. If the cable is not parallel to the throttle cable thats another thing that doesn't work. 

Shift points have to be at the correct amount not less or more.

1 should be about 10-15mph
2 should be about 20-25
3 should be about 35-40
4 should be about 45-50
If your getting long shifts cable isn't right it's to long. Short shifts just the opposite.

3/19/2017 12:07 PM  #4

I've never worked on an AOD, but I've worked on plenty of 700R4s and the TV cable adjustment procedure that True74yamaha just gave you is exactly the same as for the 700R4.  What I learned with that trans, and it seems the same for the AOD, is to use the factory adjustment procedure and leave it alone.  Over the years I heard a lot of people, guys from trans shops, mechanics, etc. claim there was a better way, that you could adjust shifting without hurting the trans by monkeying with the TV adjustment, etc.  I'm hear to tell you all of them were wrong.  I tried everything they said over the years, but the trans always shifted best when I just used the factory adjustment procedure.  Shift points, in that trans, are adjusted by altering the governor (changing weights and/or springs).  Messing with the TV adjustment would just screw the shifts up (they would hang, slip, etc. and I know that did damage to the trans).  The length of the cable, bracket placement, etc. doesn't really matter as much as the cable being tensioned properly, and that can only reliably be done by using the factory setting procedure. 

3/20/2017 8:36 AM  #5

Well, I did the AOD in my 65,  Holley carb and Lokar cable set up.
The first thing is to make sure both the trans and carb have the same arm length so that the trans and carb are 1 to 1.
The 2nd thing is what your rear gear is, because I still had the 2.80 rear gear and the governor was set up for 3.25 rear gears it makes it a bit harder to adjust the TV cable.  The thing that can hurt the trans is no pressure when driving underload, trans slipping.
With both arms 1 to1 I put the Lokar cable adjuster in the middle to be able to adjust the adjustment both ways.
I set the cable to start with no slack at normal Idle motor 180deg, this gave me 10 psi at the trans and as soon as you cracked the carb the trans psi went up to 25 psi. 
I then did a test drive to see what speed and rpm the trans shifted, with a little adjusting with the Lokar adjuster I was able to get the trans shifting at all the points I wanted or at the same points as my sons 04 mustang.
After the adjustments the trans pressure at idle was 2psi but would still go up as soon as I cracked the carb.

Now I have just put in a 3.80 rear gear, The trans shifted at different speeds and rpm so I had to go back a readjust the tv cable to hit the shift points I want.  I don't know what the pressure is on the trans now but I know its a bit higher as I had to tighten the cable.
Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by mxjeffb (3/20/2017 8:53 AM)

3/20/2017 11:21 AM  #6

I did a little research into the AOD, and it uses a considerably different governor than the TH700R4 I'm used to, BUT the principle is the same.  You should adjust the governor to raise or lower shift points rather than adjust the TV cable out of factory spec.  Here's a pretty good write up on it:

http://www.atraonline.com/gears/1998/1998-05/gmay98p55.htm

3/20/2017 1:38 PM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

I did a little research into the AOD, and it uses a considerably different governor than the TH700R4 I'm used to, BUT the principle is the same.  You should adjust the governor to raise or lower shift points rather than adjust the TV cable out of factory spec.  Here's a pretty good write up on it:

http://www.atraonline.com/gears/1998/1998-05/gmay98p55.htm

Yes, I'm with you on not being out of factory spec, but there is a range that will effect the shift points at normal driving shifts and the kick down.

The governor changes has more to do with wide open throttle shifts.
 There were 3 different governors used in AOD's:

E8ZZ-7C063-A - high speed - 4800 RPM shift - used in Mustangs and Lincoln mark7 with HO engines

E2AZ-7C063-B - medium speed - 4500 RPM shift - used in most EFI trucks and V6 Mustangs

E8AZ-7C063-A - low speed - 4200 RPM shift - Used in Crown Victoria/grand marquis/towncar and mark 7 with non-HO engines

And if the trans was out of a high output cop car 5100 rpm shifts(no part number)

You can get even higher rpm governor kits aftermarket.

I will be looking at the change in my rear gear, tire size and RPM speed to match a governor to get the wide open shifts to match my motor combo.

Last edited by mxjeffb (3/20/2017 2:45 PM)

3/24/2017 10:21 PM  #8

If you go off the guitar string tightnes mebtioned. That trans should shift perfect.

Last edited by True74yamaha (3/24/2017 10:22 PM)

3/26/2017 2:40 PM  #9

Adjustment of AOD throttle valve cable.

https://youtu.be/6L3hNzxdiYw

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.