FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2017 6:51 PM  #1

Installing the GT2008 brakes on my 68 coupe

I will be installing a set of 2014 V6 brakes on my 66 this week.  12.5" front rotors and 11.76" rears.  I will be using 17x7 and 17x8 Cragar S/S wheels with 225x45 fronts and 245x45 rear tires.  I am also installing an 8" rear out of a 65 fastback, which is 2" narrower than a 68 rear end.  This will make the tires fit better under the rear quarters.

All this is going in a car that has a 200-6 and a three speed manual tranny, at least for now.  I have a 89 5.0 and AOD for later.

My immediate issue is drive shaft.  The three speed drive shaft won't mate to the 8" rear end's yoke.  Experts tell me a drive shaft from a six cylinder car that had a C-4 automatic has the correct size ujoint on the rear for the 8". 
Does anyone have one laying around?  I just need to borrow one until I get to the point of installing the V8.  Or, I will buy one if anyone has one to sell.

If anyone needs a picture of any part of the brake install, just let me know and I will get it for you.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/26/2017 10:31 PM  #2

Re: Installing the GT2008 brakes on my 68 coupe

The auto supplies used to sell odd ball U-joints that would get the two ends connected. Is that still an option?

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/27/2017 7:44 PM  #3

Bolted to Floor wrote:

The auto supplies used to sell odd ball U-joints that would get the two ends connected. Is that still an option?

No, that is only for the larger sizes.  This thing is tiny!  Looks more like a shaft you would see on steering linkage, almost.

3/27/2017 11:35 PM  #4

Too bad I got rid of all my 6 cyl stuff years ago when I did the V8 swap or you could have had it.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/28/2017 7:08 AM  #5

Is it a 1200 series u-joint, I have a couple that convert from the really small one way to the bigger series the other. I don't think the 1200 series are used on production driveshafts anymore. I had it on an old British car.

3/30/2017 7:53 PM  #6

DC, can you post the dimensions of that ujoint?

3/31/2017 12:23 PM  #7

I have the original from my 67 that had a c4 and 8".

4/02/2017 6:44 PM  #8

sent you a text.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.