FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2017 2:24 PM  #1

This is interesting

I haven't really looked at all the details of the new Mustangs, but this looks like an electric rack right? Wonder how hard it would be to convert over?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/6059209521.html

3/25/2017 8:59 PM  #2

Re: This is interesting

Mustangs started using electric rack a few years ago. It is a huge assembly and really wide. I am betting there is a smaller car out there that might be worth looking at. The electric Mustang rack is front steer, also.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/25/2017 9:08 PM  #3

Would it need a computer because it is sensitive to the speed you are going? I would think it would be too sensitive at cruise.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/26/2017 9:30 AM  #4

It's front steer and takes up a lot of space, doubt if it would work even with an Mustang 2 conversion because of the size of paraphenalia hanging off the back of it.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/26/2017 12:16 PM  #5

No way that's fitting in an early car without a serious hack job.  New vehicles are designed to fit together so tightly its crazy.  The accessories and oil pan are designed to go around that rack.  I was up at a buddy's place yesterday and he's doing a Coyote swap into a 4th gen (think its an '02), so I got to see one of those engines on a stand up close and even a swap into that car, which has a wide engine bay meant for the 4.6 that was the prerunner of the Coyote is still quite involved.  A bit off topic, but it allows you to see how tightly these things are packaged. 

Ultimately you can make anything work, but for the expense I don't see it being worthwhile.  Especially when there are already dedicated electric power steering kits for early Mustangs that are designed to be bolt in (I said "designed" because I've never installed one and we all know how "bolt on" stuff sometimes isn't).  Pretty sure there's at least two guys on this forum who run them too, so there should be advice and knowledge here if you want the electric setup.

As far as the electronics go, that could be hacked and adjusted by someone who knows what they are doing, but again, these systems are all integrated now.  Modern cars use not one, but a network of computers.  That's the kind of stuff my buddy can do, but he also has two masters degrees, one in electrical engineering and another in computer programming, works at Princeton and is one of the smartest people I know. 

3/27/2017 9:16 AM  #6

TKO,  to your point, I just finished a repair on a van that had a shifting problem. Luckily I had a full shop manual on the thing. What started out as the thing shifting and hunting weird ended up being an exhaust leak right before one of the O2 sensors. The tranny has it's controller which started to look like the culprit till I got several pages into the troubleshooting and found that the one input was a signal from the engine controller proportional to engine torque. Go to volume 4 of the shop manual and start there. Next thing was a warning that these are very low level signals and PLEASE turn off your cell phone. OH MY! After all that, checking all signals from engine to controller during a test ride, with the analyzer, I hear an exhaust noise. Sure enough, the O2 signal was a bit low which caused the torque signal to go hay wire which was made worse by turning cell phone back on.  So I went back to easy and fixed the exhaust leak and this morning driving the thing the warning lights all reset them selves and it drives like a new one. I am sure if it had electric steering that would have impacted it as well. It seems all the controllers on a vehicle now have to talk to each other all the time. 

3/27/2017 9:21 AM  #7

Well there's no overcoming the physical fit issue, but like MS said there's probably something out there OEM that could be adapted. The EPAS is a neat idea and I have been looking at it for my 66, but I'd rather have all the components on the rack and use OEM pieces. Vehicle networks are CAN based, which actually kind of lends itself to us DIY'ers as it is pretty well standardized and documented. Here's a video of me running a Nextion display with data coming from a Microsquirt over a CAN bus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3MqVyxWRAY Now granted the Mega/Microsquirt uses a proprietary CAN protocol, but integration with standard CAN is not a huge deal. My next step is to run an OEM gauge cluster with the same setup like this guy did https://youtu.be/yoiKiuqtafQ

Also, to be clear, I am not talking about some crazy steer by wire. I am simply talking about electric *assist*.

Last edited by Raymond_B (3/27/2017 9:26 AM)

3/27/2017 10:01 AM  #8

Another option MIGHT worth lookin into would be this center take off r&p from a Honda Civic:

More pics of it here: http://public.fotki.com/VikingMustang/other-projects/eps-cto-rp/

3/27/2017 10:58 AM  #9

Raymond, you lost me a couple of zigs back but I think I may need to consult with you when I make the change from A9P ('89) computer to W4HO (94) computer to control the 4R70W.  I'm planning to swap the AOD to the 4R70W next winter (maybe) and will need to install a Quarterhorse in the computer and learn how to tweak it.  I think I just found a guru.....YOU!!

Later,

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/27/2017 1:37 PM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

Raymond, you lost me a couple of zigs back but I think I may need to consult with you when I make the change from A9P ('89) computer to W4HO (94) computer to control the 4R70W.  I'm planning to swap the AOD to the 4R70W next winter (maybe) and will need to install a Quarterhorse in the computer and learn how to tweak it.  I think I just found a guru.....YOU!!

Later,

BB

Deal! QH stuff is awesome, there's one pitfall though. The "chip" has a battery and when that battery fails you revert back to stock. For some people it's not ideal, but the car will at least run to get home. It's bad if you've got a custom tune and the car will only run off that tune, in that case it'd be good to carry a spare.

I meant to add I have some simple little spreadsheets I built a while back so you can compare engine RPM for up and downshifts relative to throttle position. Also depending on your trans mods you can vary shift firmness as well as converter lock/unlock points by MPH/TPS. Converter lock schedules can make a huge difference in how the car feels.

Last edited by Raymond_B (3/27/2017 1:46 PM)

3/27/2017 5:02 PM  #11

Man, you are the MAN!  My stock EFI works very well, even with some no-too-wild mods.  The 4R70W will likely be pretty stock but I the PCM is made to run an AODE and I have 3.55 gears so some shift point tuning will be in order. 

As I said earlier, I'm a ways away from this but I will file your name away for sure.  Thanks.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.