FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2017 1:01 PM  #1

Brake question...sorry.

66 coupe front GT discs stock rear drums. My problem is my rear drums are tightening up as I drive the to the point of smoking. I've taken them apart, cleaned everything thoroughly put everything back together and readjusted them. Still getting tight. I've had this set up on the car for a couple of years now with no problems. Any ideas.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/22/2017 12:45 PM  #2

Re: Brake question...sorry.

Are you sure that the self adjusters are on the correct sides?  They are marker R and L. 

4/22/2017 4:05 PM  #3

TKOPerformance wrote:

Are you sure that the self adjusters are on the correct sides?  They are marker R and L. 

Yep that's all good. I've been driving the car with the present set up for quite a while and it's been fine. It hasn't been driven a lot the past couple months. Could it be the adjustable prop valve?It's not what you would call a quality part. Made near the Great Wall I think.

4/23/2017 8:28 AM  #4

With the exception of DOT 5 brake fluid is hygroscopic, absorbs water. Water equals rust, Your wheel cylinders could be rusted and siezing.
 How old is the rear flex line at the rear axle, it could be plugged or collapsing and holding the shoes out.
 I would do a complete brake fluid change  and put in a new set of wheel cylinders (cheap) and replace the flex lines front and back.
 I personally would not drive a vehicle very far that has brake issues.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/23/2017 3:57 PM  #5

Rudi wrote:

With the exception of DOT 5 brake fluid is hygroscopic, absorbs water. Water equals rust, Your wheel cylinders could be rusted and siezing.
 How old is the rear flex line at the rear axle, it could be plugged or collapsing and holding the shoes out.
 I would do a complete brake fluid change  and put in a new set of wheel cylinders (cheap) and replace the flex lines front and back.
 I personally would not drive a vehicle very far that has brake issues.

I'm taking your advice Rudi. Ordered all the parts today plus a new prop valve. I looked this thing over and everything is put together as it should be so I'm not sure exactly what is wrong. But with the age of the hose in doubt and no more than what the rest of the parts cost I'm replacing everything including the brake hardware.

4/24/2017 8:49 AM  #6

My car did this when the rear flexible hose collapsed internally.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.