FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2017 8:05 AM  #1

My "new" rear end

Been working on my rear end issue since we got back from Colorado and finally got it installed but have driven it yet. Went to bleed the brakes yesterday and they would not bleed. The rear brake hose is clogged totally shut.  Hmmm wonder how long I've had no rear brakes. I feel like it is a good thing I haven't had an emergency stop situation..

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/08/2017 8:09 AM  #2

Re: My "new" rear end

have you pulled the bleeder screws out of the wheel cylinders completely to make sure that the orifice in the bleeder screw is not rusted / crud shut?

4/08/2017 11:33 AM  #3

If you have drum brakes in the back they do all of about 10% of your stopping, so its not surprising you wouldn't notice. 

Start working your way backwards through the system from the bleeders to the master cylinder.  Blow through everything to make sure it isn't the issue.  But it sounds like you may just have a collapsed soft line to the rear.  Not terribly uncommon unfortunately, especially when they start getting old. 

4/08/2017 1:23 PM  #4

Because I was installing the differential but not finished I was able to trouble shoot it real easley. The fluid had run out of the lines that go across the differential so I had left them disconnected from the cylinders and replaced fluid in the resivoir with fresh fluid. That should have been my clue when the resivoir was still full. I disconnected the rear hose at the top of it and the fluid came out right away. That kind of narrowed it down. I just got back from the local Mustang store only to come home empty handed. The hose is exclusive to 70 only. The old one still has the Ford p/n on it. And yup still have the old drum brakes with wider and shoes and drums.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/08/2017 6:00 PM  #5

69 Hose will work (OREILLY has them) but the 70 threads are 7/16" instead of the 69's 3/8" threads.   A new tube nut and flare will fix it, although a pain to reflare in that position.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/08/2017 7:28 PM  #6

I was hoping to drive it today so I first went to Oreillys and picked up a hose there. The one they sold me is the same part that goes on the 69. I didn't know that then. That's when I did my research and found out the 70 is exclusive. The Oreilly hose attach bracket and the fitting holes in the block and the end of the hose are all three the wrong size. All the pipe ends fittings would have to be changed and the bracket reformed the fit close to the original position under the breather fitting in the differential. The 71-73 Mustang hose assembly looks exactly like the 70 hose but the fitting holes are all the same size on that one meaning that the fittings on the axel lines would both have to be replaced but not the hose end. I have enough things to do on the Mustang, shocks, oil leak, etc. It's just that I took Karen's parking spot in the garage.

4/22/2017 9:12 PM  #7

Drove the Mustang. Got the correct brake hose and it fits. No body locally had it. The rear end runs quiet and there is no vibration. Still have a few more issues to work out before the Bash, unless BB talks me out of it. (Just teasing, It would not have made it)

Last edited by HudginJ3 (4/23/2017 8:32 AM)

4/22/2017 9:30 PM  #8

Had a Jeep Wrangler in the shop the other day doing rear brakes, wheel cylinders/shoes/drums/hardware, and the RH side would not bleed. We found that the wheel cylinder feed hole was not drilled through. Just an FYI because it is new does not mean it is correct.

Last edited by 70 Coupe (4/22/2017 9:32 PM)

4/23/2017 5:23 AM  #9

70 Coupe wrote:

Had a Jeep Wrangler in the shop the other day doing rear brakes, wheel cylinders/shoes/drums/hardware, and the RH side would not bleed. We found that the wheel cylinder feed hole was not drilled through. Just an FYI because it is new does not mean it is correct.

Amen.  Bought a radiator for a Toyota once that did not have the filler connected to the radiator.  You couldn't fill it; it would only hold about two ounces in the filler bowl and then overflow. 

4/24/2017 11:15 AM  #10

HudginJ3 wrote:

Drove the Mustang. Got the correct brake hose and it fits. No body locally had it. The rear end runs quiet and there is no vibration. Still have a few more issues to work out before the Bash, unless BB talks me out of it. (Just teasing, It would not have made it)

I hated to be a wet blanket, Doug, but I really would have hated to see you guys having serious trouble on a long cross-country run.  We've been really lucky with our's and only had that small idling trouble and AC problem in 2015.  But even that was very frustrating for me.  If you aren't confident in it...leave it home.  Better to get there and have a good time than to end up along the side of the road with major problems.
See ya soon.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/24/2017 12:18 PM  #11

It's amazing what I've learned after the fact. The engine would have made it but the rear end would not have. All the trouble I was having with the engine was from the intake manifold gaskets squeezing out and the oil filling up the the pistons with carbon. I was a little leery of the transmission too. The rear end vibration has worked itself into a vibration that started in around 60 mph and seemed to get worse the more I drove it. I've been driving it while working on the "new" differential. It took me a week to get it installed and two weeks to get the correct brake hose. It scares me to think how long I've been driving with no rear brakes even if they do only 10% of the work. I would hate to think what's could have happened if I had to slam on the brakes and the rear of the car swing around in front of me. So even though I'm teasing you BB I owe you a big thanks for your foresight.

4/24/2017 3:48 PM  #12

BB is right (in one respect) butt..........if you are traveling with a gang of MS forum 'Stangerz....well anything short of "major surgery" is a common occurance with them!  Glen/Steve(Steves Mustang Parts owners) always have an "interesting"  trip. And have made more bash-es than anyone else. (except MS that is!)
I was behind them once on the expressway around St. Louis while they did emergency "electrical work" on the darn shoulder of the road!!!!!! Cars zipping by at 70+mph        (why does it do this!?) 
With 50+ year old cars..........you just never know butt, if you do the regular maintenance stuff before the trip...and do some trial runs out-of-town (if possible)  the rest of the stuff just goes under the "aw shucks" category.
Get Glenn to tell you the one where he changed his oil for the MS bash and got distracted and fired that SUPERCHARGED monster up and run it a while.....with no oil!! Then got in it and drove to the bash!!!(after he filled it with oil, naturally)
I had mine "consuming roller lifters" from SC to Texas and back. (I discovered later...after I got back home)
If it was EZ...........who'd do it?!!!
6s6 

Last edited by 6sally6 (4/24/2017 3:51 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/24/2017 8:55 PM  #13

HudginJ3 wrote:

I would hate to think what's could have happened if I had to slam on the brakes and the rear of the car swing around in front of me.

Actually, the rear end will stay put pretty well with no rear brakes.  It's having too much rear brake that makes the rears lock early (weight shift) and without traction the rear accelerates past the decelerating front.  That's why we normally need a proportioning valve for the rears.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.