FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2017 5:28 PM  #1

Identifying a stock '65-'66 OEM steering wheel?

Does anyone have one laying around that they could take a close look at to see if there are any FoMoCo marks on it that would identify it as being the real McCoy vs an aftermarket reproduction?  I currently have one on my '65 'vert but I do not want to have to remove it to examine it for any genuine OEM marks.

I just obtained a nice, used black wheel off of ebay, for reasonable price. I want to verify that it is what was represented.  I have heard that aftermarket stock wheels had issues with the horn.

The object of having obtained it, is to have its diameter reduced while retaining the stock appearance.  I do not want to spend a lot of modification money on a wheel that is problematic....and as always, I want to retain the useable original part.

Last edited by boomyal (5/24/2017 6:00 PM)

5/25/2017 6:25 PM  #2

Re: Identifying a stock '65-'66 OEM steering wheel?

Some Mustanger, on this forum, has to have an original stock steering wheel hanging on the garage wall that they could examine for any FoMoCo identifying marks?

5/25/2017 7:06 PM  #3

I have one that I know for sure is an original. There are no marks on it

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

5/25/2017 7:45 PM  #4

My original 66 wheel has no Ford markings on it.

5/25/2017 8:49 PM  #5

Thanks Billy and Tim!  I'll probably remove my OEM wheel, examine it then try the new one for fit and horn function.
Boom

5/26/2017 8:43 AM  #6

Boom...be sure you have the right year wheel.  Jim Bowie sent me a 65 wheel that he had experimented on and it's different than my 66 wheel.  If I can squeeze it in today I'll post you some pix. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/26/2017 11:40 AM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

Boom...be sure you have the right year wheel.  Jim Bowie sent me a 65 wheel that he had experimented on and it's different than my 66 wheel.  If I can squeeze it in today I'll post you some pix. 

BB

I'll be interested to see that, BB.  I do know, that in some manner, '64 1/2 wheels are different than the latter alternatored cars.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.