FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2017 10:34 AM  #1

Putting fox rear in my 65 axle question

I'm putting the Anthony Jones Engineering rear subframe in my 65 FB. It uses the fox body 4 link and rear end . I had the rear shortened to fit the car and had 9" end caps welded on. I would like to use Mustang Steve's disk brake kit and was wondering if I would need Fox axles or older 9" axles for the brakes to line up.

5/24/2017 12:37 PM  #2

Re: Putting fox rear in my 65 axle question

The axles have to match the housing ends.  8.8" (Fox) axles were c-clip axles.  The bearings were pressed into the tubes in the housing, and the axles retained by c-clips inside the differential.  9" rears have the bearings pressed onto the axle shaft and are retained by a four bolt retainer that sandwiched the drum brake backing plate to the housing end.  The axles need a pressed on bearing and a retainer I would suppose, but I would ask whoever welded on the housing ends.  Hopefully this was a kit or something and someone isn't playing cut and paste with random parts.  If that's the case you may need custom axles. 

Out of curiosity, why would you want to use the Fox 4-link?  It was a terrible setup.  Basically Ford got cheap with a 4-link and decided that if they angled the control arms they didn't need a panhard rod.  Problem is that the control arms don't move in the same arc during compression, and at some point they just bind.  This will happen in the middle of a hard corner and the rear tires will immediately break loose and put the car into a spin.  I've experienced this first hand and its unnerving the say the least.  I would look to either put a true 4-link in the car with a panhard rod, or look at a torque arm system.  The 4-link is good for drag racing, but the torque arm is by far a better setup for handling.  If the subframe will accept Fox parts possibly you can just go with Maximum Motorsports torque arm kit and panhard rod kit.  I'm betting there'd still be some fabrication, but it would probably save a lot over just starting from scratch.  I'm working on an '89 GT project car now, and that's who I'm using for everything.  

Last edited by TKOPerformance (5/24/2017 6:15 PM)

5/24/2017 1:28 PM  #3

Yes we are using custom Moser axles with Steve's bracket over the 9" end was wondering about brake fitment . I have a cradle that uses the four link set up but I will look into some of your suggestions I defiantly would like better handling .

5/24/2017 6:23 PM  #4

As far as brake fitment I will defer to whatever Musang Steve says, but I can tell you that the 8.8 and 9" housing ends do not have the same bolt pattern, so if any stock kit will work I'm betting on the 9" kit.

Here's a link to Maximum Motorsports Rear Grip Package:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Torque-arm-Package-1979-98-Mustang-P341.aspx

This has everything in one kit: the lower control arms, the panhard rod, and the torque arm.  The factory lower control arms are junk.  They were so flex prone that Ford added quad shocks to dampen wheel hop on hard acceleration.  The Fox upper control arms are eliminated with the use of the torque arm system.  The panhard rod positively locates the axle housing side to side.  In this system each link does one thing, instead of each link trying to so multiple things as in the stock Fox setup.  Whenever something must do two things it tends to do neither very well, which is why the Fox design is so compromised.

5/27/2017 6:07 AM  #5

If you had the housing end flanges for a 9-inch rear end put on, it could be one of three configurations: small axle bearing bolt pattern (same as early Mustang 8 and 9-inch rear ends), old style large axle bearing bolt pattern or, the newer large axle bearing 'Torino' bolt pattern.

You would need to measure the bearing bore diameter and the backing plate bolt hole size and spacing to determine what you have, in order to know what brakes will fit the housing ends.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.