FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2017 2:13 PM  #1

Ak Millers Hi Performance 6

Many decades ago, around 1973, Hot Rod Magazine did an article about  Ak Miller in Sante Fe Springs California.  Ak had a liking for the little Ford inline 6.  This article highlighted a 72 Maverick with the 6, probably a 200, I dont think the 250 was out yet.  Backed with a 4 speed and better rear gears, a home built split exhaust manifold to duals, and a three downdraft carb setup on a modded integral head.  I dont remember if he had cammed it.  One quote in the article stuck with me:  Whenever he ripped through the gears, every dog in town would howl, and any Jaguar would "come into season", and words to that general effect.  Apparently, there wasnt much that would hold with it.

Fast forward to around 1998, and a work assignment took me to, of all places, Sante Fe Springs, Cal. and right across the street from Ak Millers!  During one of my off moments, I hopped across the street, and of all things, there he was, putting a turbo on a dusty goldish old Maverick!  I spent the rest of the afternoon chatting with him and lending him a hand.  I wasnt able to stick around to see it run but I did learn he had a reputation for putting a turbo on almost anything.

Ak died a short time later and his wife-ex wife, whichever, took over the business.

Back to today, with the incredible success with the BMW inline 6, and the Toyota 2JZ, and the circle comes around again.

I have a nice 289 in our 66 Coupe but if I found one with an inline 6, I wonder what I would do with it.

Last edited by 66 coupe (5/25/2017 5:25 PM)

5/18/2017 3:52 PM  #2

Re: Ak Millers Hi Performance 6

Nice story. I always liked his projects. A very innovative person.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

5/18/2017 4:39 PM  #3

There are guys still making them fast.  My cousin had one of the last F150s that had a 4.9 (300) six with EFI and I swear it made more torque than a V8.  Always wanted to hop one of those up and see what it could do, especially in a lighter vehicle.  I think there are packaging concerns in the Mustang though. 

I think the big issue is that you'll spend more money building that 6 than a V8, but still make less power.  In terms of cheap performance after the SBC the SBF is about the cheapest engine you can build.  Parts for the 6s are out there from mild to wild, but you're going to pay for them.  Turbo systems, EFI, etc. can make crazy power if you can tune it right, but its not going to come cheap.  As far as originality though it would be pretty damn cool. 

That 2JZ Toyota engine is pretty amazing.  Nissan's RB26DETT is no slouch either.  Man I wan an R-33 Skyline GT-R!  Stupid import laws.  I think next year the '93s become legal for importation since its been 25 years.  Probably still going to command a hefty sum, but one day I might just have to buy one of those. 

5/25/2017 3:38 PM  #4

I think I saw an article about this guy in a book from the 70's. My memory is a bit sketchy, but I remember the article involving a Maverick, a six cylinder and them machining the factory cast iron intake to accommodate dual or triple carburetors. I think they were also converting a 3 speed manual transmission to a 4 speed? 

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

5/25/2017 5:26 PM  #5

That was the article I was referring to.  (I made an error in the date and edited it). It was a real thrill to meet him.

5/25/2017 6:06 PM  #6

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

5/25/2017 9:17 PM  #7

Funny........
That reminds me of this "hot-rodder" when I was in high school(60's) He had a 61/62 Falcon Sprint with the 177 four cylinder.
It had 3 one barrels....header.....killer sounding camshaft......4 speed.....gear-in-the-rear! We took a ride in it and that thing was winding and screaming like a formula one car! This guy could really row through that 4 speed too!
The only problem....I always thought I could run(on foot) faster than that little Falcon!
Whats the old say'in..........."all hat and...no cowboy"?!!
There again....that was "back-in-the-day when  grandma's grocery getter had a 300 horse 327 engine...or 390 Galaxys  were common place and 100 octane fuel was 29cents per gal. Of course it seemed slooow.
6s6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/26/2017 6:00 PM  #8

Not to bust a bubble, but in 64-65, Dodge and Plymouth had their small cars with the 225 six, an aluminum intake and Carter AFB, higher compression head, marine cam, cast iron dual exhaust and 4 speed.  It was called the Hy-Per Pak, and it really ran strong.  One of these outran a buddy's 65 Malibu with a pretty stout 283.  Almost started a fight.
Hmm, toss in the Corvair Turbo Monza and that could have been an interesting 6 cyl matchup.

5/26/2017 7:37 PM  #9

"3-pack"! Ha ha.

(Pinto!)

5/27/2017 6:35 PM  #10

66 coupe wrote:

Not to bust a bubble, but in 64-65, Dodge and Plymouth had their small cars with the 225 six, an aluminum intake and Carter AFB, higher compression head, marine cam, cast iron dual exhaust and 4 speed.  It was called the Hy-Per Pak, and it really ran strong.  One of these outran a buddy's 65 Malibu with a pretty stout 283.  Almost started a fight.
Hmm, toss in the Corvair Turbo Monza and that could have been an interesting 6 cyl matchup.

Weight to horsepower.  A 283 in a Nova can rip pretty good, but hauling around that Malibu its undersized.  Think about it like this: a 150HP in a car is a joke, but in a motorcycle its a rocket ship. 

A 6 is going to make more torque at a lower RPM than a similarly sized V8 too, because they have small bores and long strokes.  So, even though that 225 is giving up 58 cubes to the 283 I'll bet its making as much torque, because the 225 has a 4.125" stroke vs. the 283s 3" stroke.  Same reason the 5.9 Dodge/Cummins always made more torque than the Ford/IH and GM?Detroit engines that were 7.3s and 6.5s respectively.  Its tough to beat a big six for low end torque.  Modified to spin you can get both low end and top end and have a pretty good combination.

Ultimately the V8s start to win because they can easily be made bigger than 300 cid.  So the 6 has to resort to a turbo to remain competitive and costs start to get out of hand.  There are some seriously powerful 6s out there, but being expensive to build is why most guys opt for a V8. 

5/28/2017 8:03 PM  #11

I visited his shop around 1977 and bought his Ford 2000 turbo kit for my 71 Capri. Back then wastegates on a street car were unheard of but driving to the airport and filling up with Avgas wasn't.Later a college buddy converted my windshield washer system to a water injector enabling me to run decent boost on pump gas. 

5/31/2017 4:52 PM  #12

Had a customer once who wanted 300 hp from his 200 six.  I told him it could be done with enough cash, but I was not interested in the project.  A year later I saw the car at a show with a dyno sheet showing 300+ horses.  Seems he had around $20,000 in the engine, BUT IT WAS STILL A SIX CYLINDER.  What could he have done with a small block and that money.  The little six is one of my all time favorites, but it is what it is.
Best,
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

6/08/2017 12:12 PM  #13

The article said it made dogs howl and Jags go into season.  Did it say it was fast?  I doubt it was very fast.  Probably fun, but a 289 with a four barrel made a more pleasing sound, as does ANY V8.  Uncontrolled street races can go back and forth based on who was asleep and who wasn't when the hankerchief was dropped, or who missed a gear, or how long the lights stayed green.

I just don't like the sound of a six.  And comparing the old 200 to a BMW or Supra I-6 is like comparing an old washboard to my wife's new electronic washing machine!

I am thinking the heads, block and manifolds were designed as they were so they were easy to cast and machine rather than having anything to do with performance.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/08/2017 1:26 PM  #14

I tend to agree about the sound of most sixes.  However, I have heard a few really mean sounding ones.  And even though a V8 will normally sound best, the very best engine sound I recall was a 220CI Model B Ford four-banger going across El Mirage dry lake at nearly 6 grand. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/08/2017 6:29 PM  #15

Sound?  Tough call.  Two 450HP 454s at 6k and 80MPH in our old 29' Scarab was a pretty sweet sound.

Two 1100HP V12 Mann Diesels at 2.5k and 50MPH in a 60' Sportfisher my grandfather had was also pretty sweet.

Though, that Pratt & Whitney Wasp Jr. (radial 9 cylinder) in my neighbor's AT-6 Texan at over 200MPH in a dive was particularly gratifying, knowing I'd helped restore a lot of that airplane. 

So. yeah, 200 I6 with a rumbly exhaust doesn't really float my boat.  Heh, pun intended I think. 

6/08/2017 7:38 PM  #16

One of the most astounding engines I ever heard was my 66 Merc Cyclone with a 390 when it shifted into 3rd (C-6) at 6K.  I had two 66's, one with a 289, the race car had the 390.  We were running SS/JA at Dallas, turning 11.19 at around 120.  On that particular day, the rear u-joint parted ways and the driveshaft slid out but not before our Jones-Motorola tattle-tale tach sat just under 7500 rpm.  The engine sounded like a piece of canvas ripping.  Those were long before we had RPM shut-off's.
That 390 was all but a very built 427 with what we used to call "LeMans" internals.
If I want ear-candy, I would toss into the ring my second motorcycle, a 1973 Kawasaki Mach III 2 stroke triple with expansion chambers.  Unbelievable power, lousy handling.  It would lift the front wheel in the first 3 gears at any speed by rolling the throttle.

6/09/2017 5:01 AM  #17

I forgot about my old Kawasaki!  I bought a ZX750 my freshman year in college to get around.  It was an ex-cafe race bike.  Someone had reground the cams and done a bunch of work to it.  Very tough to keep the front wheel on the ground, and it sounded awesome at 12,000 RPM. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.