FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2017 11:54 AM  #1

AOD no hole for speedo-gear

hello
I have bought what i thought were an AOD to swap for my C4, it is now bolted to the engine and I were happy as could be, I bought it from ebay and it was stated to be "=15pxFORD AOD TRANSMISSION 302-351W-300 SIX 2WD TYPE W/ TORQUE CONVERTER"
The torque converter had written AOD on it, and I really can not find any signs of electronics when I pulled the pan... so I aqtually belive it is an AOD.
But here is the waird thing, there are no hole for the speedo cable in the tailshaft housing.... did they make an AOD without speedo-gears at all?
and, what should I look for to ensure what I really got?

5/26/2017 12:35 PM  #2

Re: AOD no hole for speedo-gear

Are you related to "6Sally6"?  If anyone can help you, he can.  Are their any manufacturer's markings?

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/26/2017 12:55 PM  #3

I tried to post some pictures, but I have to post something first

5/26/2017 12:55 PM  #4

here are some pictures of my little problem..... 

5/26/2017 2:05 PM  #5

Your last picture where the tailshaft is pointing to the right. There is a 22 mark on the side. The hole just to the right of it is where I think my cable went into it. 

5/26/2017 2:09 PM  #6

yes, you are right, but there are no holes there it is just an indent where the hole would be..... exactly like it is on an aode, either I have unintensionaly done an aode swap or my trans is somekind of a hybrid or something, it is weird...

5/26/2017 2:13 PM  #7

F-series trucks and E-series vans used the AOD through 1993 however, most had a PSOM speedo which ran off the rear axle ABS sensor instead of the transmission. You can get a car extension housing of the correct length to swap it out or, you would need to have the boss in the existing extension housing machined out and the hole drilled and tapped for the cable retaining screw.

5/26/2017 2:18 PM  #8

but the shaft is probably wrong anyway, so the shaft would be replaced aswell? maby I am better of just buying a gps speedometer or something?

5/26/2017 2:58 PM  #9

I'm pretty sure the speedometer drive gear teeth are still machined into the output shaft, even without the hole in the extension housing.

5/26/2017 3:04 PM  #10

hmmm, then the best/cleanest nicest option would be to pull off the tail housing and then drill the hole for the sensor..... i would guess it is just to use a drilbit in the diameter of the speedogearthingy, in center of the indent in the tailhousing and tap threads for the fixing skrew..... worst case scenario i could always plug the hole with a bolt... agree?

5/26/2017 5:22 PM  #11

The easiest thing would be to find a tailshaft housing with the speedo hole and swap it for what you've got.  BUT, that would mean its the same overall length too, and this could turn into a wild goose chase unless you can verify from someone who knows AODs really well which one works. 

5/26/2017 7:18 PM  #12

esmi83 wrote:

hmmm, then the best/cleanest nicest option would be to pull off the tail housing and then drill the hole for the sensor..... i would guess it is just to use a drilbit in the diameter of the speedogearthingy, in center of the indent in the tailhousing and tap threads for the fixing skrew..... worst case scenario i could always plug the hole with a bolt... agree?

Sounds good to me!! Go ahead and "knock-a-hole-in 'er"
Ain't that what  hot rodding is al about?!
6sally6
PS........welcome to the forum.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/26/2017 8:10 PM  #13

Why not just pull the tailshaft housing off and see if the output shaft has a gear on it? I know that I ran into that when I got a 2000 4R70W transmission. The tailshaft housing had no hole, because the output shaft had no gear on it. Save you from having to drill your housing and you'd have to pull it anyway to get the metal chips out. You'd also have to drill and tap a hole for the speedo cable retainer too.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/27/2017 3:39 AM  #14

Ron68 wrote:

Why not just pull the tailshaft housing off and see if the output shaft has a gear on it? I know that I ran into that when I got a 2000 4R70W transmission. The tailshaft housing had no hole, because the output shaft had no gear on it. Save you from having to drill your housing and you'd have to pull it anyway to get the metal chips out. You'd also have to drill and tap a hole for the speedo cable retainer too.

sure that is the only thing that makes sense what I ment was if I mess up the hole I could always just plug it....

sure thing, it looks like the grooves in the shaft is present, but now I need the plastic gears for the tailshaft, right?

5/27/2017 3:47 AM  #15

or are there no plastic gear ring in the aod maby? is the metal gears shown in the picture all there is, so i could just drill the hole and put it back together?

5/27/2017 5:48 AM  #16

You're looking at the speedometer drive gear on the output shaft of the transmission. AOD, AODE and 4R70W transmissions don't have a plastic speedometer drive gear on the output shaft like a C-4 or C-6.

The AOD drive gear teeth are machined into the output shaft. All you need is to have the existing extension housing machined to accept the speedometer cable driven gear or, get the appropriate length tail housing with the hole already present.

5/27/2017 6:11 AM  #17

Personally I would look for a housing that has the hole already in it.  Chances of you getting that hole drilled precisely where it need to be in order for those teeth to mesh properly!!  If it is a degree off I can see it grinding the teeth off that plastic driven gear in the first mile you drive it.
I would check with some of the transmission companies like PATC or Monster 

5/27/2017 6:14 AM  #18

terry wrote:

Personally I would look for a housing that has the hole already in it.  Chances of you getting that hole drilled precisely where it need to be in order for those teeth to mesh properly!!  If it is a degree off I can see it grinding the teeth off that plastic driven gear in the first mile you drive it.
I would check with some of the transmission companies like PATC or Monster 

X2

5/27/2017 11:17 AM  #19

6sally6 wrote:

esmi83 wrote:

Sounds good to me!! Go ahead and "knock-a-hole-in 'er"
Ain't that what  hot rodding is al about?!
6sally6
PS........welcome to the forum.

I did knock a hole in her I used the indent as a pilot and drilled with 20mm drillbit, had to use a drum sander to finish it of, bt here's the result....

the speedo is now fitted, best case scenario, it works like a charm, worst case scenario, it will eat my plastic gear, then I am back to start, so as I see it I have not alot to loose by trying.... and I actually prefer fixing things with the stuff I have, much more satisfying than buying stuff and bolt it on
Thanks for welkoming me, I am impressed with the amount of knowledge here, must be one of the better car-forums out there....

5/27/2017 7:34 PM  #20

Without-a-doubt!!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/28/2017 8:36 AM  #21

Looks like you did a good job 'punching' the hole out and I bet it'll work just fine.

5/28/2017 9:16 AM  #22

That looks fantastic.

5/28/2017 12:16 PM  #23

thanks guys! and thank you all again for  good help and info! (I am pretty sure it is not the last post in here)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.