FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2017 3:55 PM  #1

Patch or replace the cowl?

I know what should be done I just wanted everyone to confirm or give me a second opinion.

6/11/2017 8:31 PM  #2

Re: Patch or replace the cowl?

Replace

6/14/2017 8:19 PM  #3

Well that was fun!

6/14/2017 11:53 PM  #4

Wow, what a lot of work.  Thanks for taking the time to share this with pictures.  Don't even think about everything you have to do before you're ready to put the instrument panel back in. 

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

6/15/2017 8:51 AM  #5

Yes, drilling out all those spot welds isn't much fun but in the end, having a rust free cowl assembly makes it worth it.
I did the same on my 65 and glad I did.  I posted some pics and comments in the jshow you mustang/history section under the title, Project Deadhorse. 
In addition, if you look on the last page in the Tips and How To section, Ramses posted a very detailed cowl replacement write up.  Good info  there on replacing and sealing the new cowl.
You might also consider painting the underside cowl white....if you ever have to work under the dash, this simple step really brightens up the work environment in that area.
Keep up the good work.......really enjoy the updates and pics of your project...

6/16/2017 6:18 PM  #6

This was an unexpected addition to the build as I am sure we all have had, I had just planned on patching the original spot that I found but after probing around found more rust. Now it is a complete cowl replacement, all in I think this will be about a 5 hr addition at this point and about $500 addition to the budget but I will have peace of mind that once the vehicle is done I will never have to worry about cowl leaks.

6/16/2017 6:35 PM  #7

The Company I work for has a spot welder that I think will make short work on the install. 

6/21/2017 7:29 PM  #8

Decided to replace both rear aprons since I am this far into it, they both had previous repairs to the overlap of the panels and I was going to let it slide because this was going to be a driver and not a show car, but I cannot let it go now.

Tinypics makes me upload pictures smaller each time I add one is this a bandwidth problem with the server?

Last edited by 70 Coupe (6/21/2017 7:29 PM)

6/22/2017 9:06 PM  #9

You have my utmost respect for diving in that deep as a hobbiest. Well done!

6/24/2017 3:39 PM  #10

Hornman wrote:

You have my utmost respect for diving in that deep as a hobbiest. Well done!

​Thanks Hornman, it is a hobby but also a passion. I started this project after many years of regret form selling my 65 Fastback, I have since decided to make this a Restomod that I will DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE, so I am doing what I can to make this an adventure and a vehicle that will last me a lifetime. I do not have an unlimited budget so I have learned to do a lot of things on my own. It may not be the next HOTROD magazine cover car but it will be my labor of love and maybe some disappointment as well.

​POR15ed the outer cowl today while I was at it. Tiny pics will not let me load so maybe another post.

Last edited by 70 Coupe (6/24/2017 3:56 PM)

6/24/2017 9:15 PM  #11

6/24/2017 9:16 PM  #12

Multiple colors in the photo but it is all gray on both cowl assemblies.

6/24/2017 9:19 PM  #13

7/03/2017 2:55 PM  #14

Before you finalize your cowl, do a really thorough inspection of the complete wiper assembly.

BTW, When did my cowl, I found the previous owner had already tried to patch mine and drilled all the way through a lot of the spot welds.  Not a happy camper.

Last edited by 66 coupe (7/03/2017 2:55 PM)

7/03/2017 7:17 PM  #15

Working on it, I have a few parts minus the cowl assembly, atm I am waiting for the differential to get the vehicle back as a roller.

7/03/2017 7:25 PM  #16

7/03/2017 7:31 PM  #17

Tired of the issues with the old laptop a new one is on the way.... 2tb quad core 4gb ram It will not make me smarter but should handle the chores easier.

7/03/2017 7:42 PM  #18

8/06/2017 9:55 PM  #19

I HAD THE COWL REPLACED ON MY 66 AND GLAD I DID.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

8/11/2017 9:01 PM  #20

Update on the cowl. I received the cowl and it did not fit for sh@t ! I had to drill out all welds and modify it to fit. I thought it would be a quick easy fix but not so.

8/11/2017 9:05 PM  #21

8/11/2017 9:06 PM  #22

1/14/2018 11:03 PM  #23

Cowl finished. 

1/14/2018 11:08 PM  #24

I do have a question though, where does the dash cover on the inside, I got a little aggressive with the heat and wondering if I need to just cover the spots or need to grind the spot welds off and finish ? Will this section show once the dash pad is installed?

Last edited by 70 Coupe (1/14/2018 11:20 PM)

6/27/2018 10:16 PM  #25

That turn out excellent man, nice! Can't wait to start our Stang project right after we finished installing the new rack and tonneau cover for kayak mount on the truck.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.