FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2017 5:16 PM  #1

Find/ Buy Shop BluePrints?

I've spent the better part of the day looking for plans for a planned 16 x 24 shop/ garage.  I found a 100 sites offering you kits to come build it for you and 1000 questionable sites selling pdf plans that may or may not be legit.  Anyone have a source to buy shop plans?  At the moment ebay looks like the best best.  I'm going to have to turn them over to the city to get a permit so they need to be of professional quality.  thank you

7/16/2017 7:19 PM  #2

Re: Find/ Buy Shop BluePrints?

Can't help with the plans as I drew my own. I do know that existing space determines many plans as mine did. The widest point of my shop is 18' which barely allows both side doors opened with machinery on the side walls of the shop. Unless restricted I wouldn't go less than 20 feet wide.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/16/2017 8:57 PM  #3

I've built three shops of different sizes, two of which were two stories.  PM me and we can set up a call and I'll be glad to offer some advice.  Also see MS's recent post soliciting advice for his new shop when he moves.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

7/17/2017 5:17 AM  #4

What's going to be required by the governing municipality will vary based on location.  Typically as a homeowner you are able to build it yourself and do not have to go through the licensing protocol for contractors.  Also typically you can draw your own plans.  Where you may need to engage a professional is that once the building exceeds a certain footprint (often 500 sq.ft.) you will need to provide lines and grades drawings to show how grading and runoff will be addressed.  For that you will need a surveyor and/or civil engineer.  The cost typically isn't great.  I've typically paid $1,500 or less for that service. 

If the building you envision is just a typical single story square building it would not be tough to draw that up yourself.  Premade plans are going to be universal and might not suit exactly what you want from the building anyway.  I've always drawn my own plan for projects like this.  Typically what you will need is a foundation plan, a floor plan, a roof plan, and a section detail.

The first step though is to go down to the building department of the governing municipality and find out what's required. 

The second step is to figure out a budget, which is going to be heavily wrapped up in how you want to build the shop. 

7/17/2017 9:25 AM  #5

Most of your local lumber yards will have stock plans that they can give you and many also have draftsmen on staff that can draw up plans for you if you don't like the stock plans.  The services of the draftsman is usually free if you buy your materials from the lumber yard.

7/17/2017 1:22 PM  #6

Well learning a hard lesson on fighting city hall.  Between zoning limitations, building codes, and city ordinances this is turning into an impossible task.  Too expensive too move, too expensive to add space.  Unbelievable.....didn't know that masons had basically rigged every municipality in the country to force everyone to subsidize their job security.   You apparently can't build anything in any major city w/o some percentage of masonry work.

7/17/2017 3:13 PM  #7

Major cities = major unions = major support for elected officials =  you the taxpayer get screwed.  I suppose they figure that math is so simple the education system can do with more cuts...

7/17/2017 3:43 PM  #8

Real and faux brick and rock veneer is sold that the average Joe can easily install.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/17/2017 10:44 PM  #9

TremendousWand wrote:

Well learning a hard lesson on fighting city hall.  Between zoning limitations, building codes, and city ordinances this is turning into an impossible task.  Too expensive too move, too expensive to add space.  Unbelievable.....didn't know that masons had basically rigged every municipality in the country to force everyone to subsidize their job security.   You apparently can't build anything in any major city w/o some percentage of masonry work.

Where is home?

I know nothing about zoning, but the building codes and city ordinances are there for good reason. Not all home owners take the time to learn how things should be built prior to starting. It’s amazing how shoddy work can be hid with siding, drywall, and paint.

I understand not moving, what is making it too expensive to add? Is it the permit fees? Will the city allow additions by the home owner or do they mandate a licensed contractor perform the work? Years ago, the City of Houston would allow home owners to pull electrical permits for additions and service replacements. With enough failed inspections by unqualified people, the option was taken away.

Brick is not just for major cities, 25 years ago in a rural housing subdivision set up on 1 to 2 acre tracks, where the developer mandated a percentage of exterior coverings be brick. A couple of years after completion, a home owner received letters from attorneys for the developer that the house was short of brick to meet the guidelines. They were forced to add more brick.

TKOPerformance wrote:

Major cities = major unions = major support for elected officials =  you the taxpayer get screwed.  I suppose they figure that math is so simple the education system can do with more cuts...

This is a really generalized equation that doesn’t work for Houston. I spent my first 20 years working as an electrician through the local prior to leaving for pipeline work about 9 years ago. The electricians and plumbers locals had more guys working than other crafts. At that time, Houston was the 4th largest city and we had about 12 to 15% market share. I don’t believe we were generating a lot of “major support” for the elected officials.  

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/18/2017 7:29 AM  #10

I live in Richardson.  You need formal plans for anything over 150 sqft.  Even a tiny 18x12 garage would exceed that. Waiting on clarification of what needs to be signed off by an engineer.  I know you are allowed to pull permits as long as you are doing the work yourself and it's your house you live in.  

The masonry requirement easily adds 25% to the cost of the structure.  For something that can't be seen I'm not sure why this exist.  You would think that thin brick veneer or paneling would work but the masonry lobby took care of that too.  There is a thickness requirement of 3.5 inches.  I'm targeting a 16 x 24 building.  My existing single car garage is only 14' wide.  Plus the space will be more of a workshop / lab / storage more than a true garage.

I have no problem in doing things right.  Whether you hire a contractor or do it yourself you still have to pass inspection.  I'm not even opposed to size and placement restrictions.  I've traveled out in the country through large unincorporated areas.  I have seen what people do with no restrictions.  

My problem is with city ordinances that are obviously imposed by special interest.  Just like how you have to buy a new car from a dealer in Texas these statues are on the books b/c some group had the foresight and money to get job security written into law.  I checked several municipalities in north Texas and they all have masonry requirements.  You think that's a coincidence?

If I can get past the plans I'm going to do this all myself.  First quote I got for blueprints was $2000.  I can tell you that isn't going to happen.  Looks like i'll need to brush up on my AutoCAD skills and do this myself.

7/18/2017 2:37 PM  #11

What is the exact requirement for masonry?  Does it have to be structural or can it be veneer (full width brick veneer is done all the time with wood framing behind it)?  Does it have to be brick, or would concrete block suffice?  Can it just be a watertable or does it have to go full height?

As for plans, I would just find a structural engineer and his seal should suffice.  I'd pay less than $500 for that around here, but I also know an architect who would draw it for me for probably the same cost and seal it as well. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.