FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2017 9:30 AM  #1

Imbeded images on the forum.

Any images posted herein, via a PhotoBucket image link, will go blank. Without any notice PhotoBucket has just decided that if you want to link your pictures to forums and other sites, you need to pay $399.00. I do not know if that is a one time charge or an annual fee. Either way, you can guess what kind of success they will have in extracting those fees from users. I can guarantee there will be a lot fewer of them.

The sad part is that there will be untold numbers of posts, internet wide, whose valuable information will be ruined.

Last edited by boomyal (7/08/2017 9:31 AM)

7/08/2017 1:33 PM  #2

Re: Imbeded images on the forum.

If you want to post your pictures on a third party site, your annual membership fee to PhotoBucket is now $399.00 per year. Some of the large enthusiast forums are alredy collecting torches and pitchforks. Based on the reactions I have seen so far, PhotoBucket will either back way off on this fee upgrade or cease to exist.

This forum uses Tinypic to post pictures. I have heard that Tinypic is part of PhotoBucket. If true, does that mean that PhotoBucket could pull the same type of extreme rate increases with Tinypic?

7/08/2017 2:01 PM  #3

Also not only do they want some stupid fee to enable "3rd party hosting" any picture that you have linked is now locked! Yes, you cannot get your picture without paying them. I had a huge (23 page) build thread for my Lightning. All pics are gone now, luckily I had the pictures saved, but I'll have to rebuild the rebuild thread...

Total and absolute crap. I ended up building a server and I am now hosting my own pictures...

7/08/2017 3:28 PM  #4

It was good while it lasted!

7/08/2017 4:18 PM  #5

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopoulos/photobucket-just-killed-a-chunk-of-internet-history?utm_term=.up021xpgK#.makyGBAg8

​Wow....this is exactly how not to do business.  With that said, I'm not surprised.  There are only a handful of sites that have ever been able to truly monetize ad revenue and keep a 'free' service.  Anyone who has ever tried to run a site knows it starts out cheap but can get real expensive real quick.  The irony is the bigger your site grows the more money you will LOSE.  $400 is crazy though.  They must know they are going down and are just trying to do a cash grab. If 1 out of 1000 users pay the $400 they will probably have made 10 times as much money from that one user than all the ad revenue from the other 999 users combined.  Newspapers did the same thing when they went behind a paywall.  Their readerships dropped by 80%, but they made more money off the 20% that stayed and paid than the 80% generated in ad revenue. 

7/19/2017 7:12 PM  #6

MS - seems several members, myself included, have received this $399 fee from Photobucket and can't post pictures until this ransom is paid.  Can anything be done about this situation?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/20/2017 5:22 AM  #7

BobE wrote:

MS - seems several members, myself included, have received this $399 fee from Photobucket and can't post pictures until this ransom is paid.  Can anything be done about this situation?

Just use the Tinypics function provided for your use on the forum. It works fine.  You can upload any pic directly from your computer.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/22/2017 4:58 PM  #8

Ok, done ... not w/o my usual frustration with understanding what needs to be done, my 2 year-old grandson can probably do this easier then I can.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/22/2017 8:28 PM  #9

BobE wrote:

Ok, done ... not w/o my usual frustration with understanding what needs to be done, my 2 year-old grandson can probably do this easier then I can.

​Okay, I give.  I use Tinypics for posting pix all the time but how do I make it post the avatar?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/22/2017 9:53 PM  #10

Go to MY PROFILE and click on the AVATAR link. You can use any picture from your computer.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/23/2017 7:24 AM  #11

MS wrote:

Go to MY PROFILE and click on the AVATAR link. You can use any picture from your computer.

​Well, that's true, sort of.  First you need to do click on the UPDATE button which will send you to Tinypics and tells you how to get 'em into the avatar hole.  Much better than messing with the "Bucket" though...once you know the secret.

​BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.