FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2017 2:45 PM  #1

My son's $400 1968 Mustang he pulled from the Junk yard yesterday.

Its rusty but my Son's 18 and going to college in the Fall.  He likes working on things and really wanted this so he'll get some lessons in Welding and just about everything else...LOL  It has a clean title and I figured If all else fails there probably $400 in parts if we part it out. It does have Power steering but manual brakes. Rear from rails are good and the trunk is in good shape.  Quite of bit of rust from where the rear windows leaked in the Rear wheel wells.  Lot of rust in side of the engine compart near battery box and on drivers side frame rail. I told the first line of action is sign up for a MustangSteve Account for all the questions he's going to have to ask...LOL 

Last edited by Steve69 (7/22/2017 2:46 PM)

7/22/2017 3:08 PM  #2

Re: My son's $400 1968 Mustang he pulled from the Junk yard yesterday.

Well, looks like you've got a lot to work on, good luck.
Looks like you better get a move on if your son plans to take this to college this Fall.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/22/2017 4:18 PM  #3

A Little primer, some clear coat and your good to go.   

7/22/2017 4:29 PM  #4

I've seen a lot worse become really nice hot rods. Good luck.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

7/22/2017 5:08 PM  #5

Get it running/driving and it's off to college!
He can prolly get all his money back if it run/drives.......and he looses interest.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/22/2017 7:10 PM  #6

I'm having horrible flashbacks looking at that car...... Walk away, just walk away! Once you turn one wrench on it, it will consume you. Please note:
MustangSteve's Law Of Automotive Repair Or Restoration:
Any automotive repair or restoration project will cost twice as much and take twice as long as originally planned, even after careful prior consideration of MustangSteve's Law.

Like all Mustang hobbyists, I did not heed the Law - and my 68 took over my life for several years...... In the end, it was worth it, but the journey was a bit bumpy at times.
Have fun, and remember - it is your hobby, and who keeps track of how much money you spend on your hobby?

Last edited by Ron68 (7/22/2017 7:12 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/22/2017 7:44 PM  #7

I say go for it. You'll have a lot of fun. I did that very thing with a 55 T-bird. I bought two of them for $500 ea and made one good one in two months. Overhauled the engine and swapped the rusted body from one frame to the other. One had been cut up to make a race car but the project was abandoned the other one was rusted real bad and had been side swiped. I had the cut the trans tunnel out of the rust bucket to make race car good. I finished the engine the same day taking off from Arizona to Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnisota, Wisconsin again, back to Arizona and Back to Michigan all in one month. Kept the Bird for 6 years got married and had a kid, wrecked it and traded it for a 6 month old Pinto. The engine never missed a lick but the blocked vertically between the middle cylinders. My future father swapped out the engine while  we went back to school in WI.

Last edited by HudginJ3 (7/22/2017 7:46 PM)

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

7/22/2017 8:13 PM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

He can prolly get all his money back if it run/drives.......and he looses interest.

I think Sal has the right idea: get it running and (semi)safe to drive. You can coat the rusty sheetmetal with POR15 and some topcoat from Autozone.

7/22/2017 8:30 PM  #9

BobE wrote:

Well, looks like you've got a lot to work on, good luck.
Looks like you better get a move on if your son plans to take this to college this Fall.

He as a 94 Chevy 3/4 4x4 Truck that gets 10mpg that he bought from his Grandpa for $550 as his daily driver...LOL   He's planning on taking the truck to college.  No rush on the restore project.

7/22/2017 8:32 PM  #10

Hornman wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

I think Sal has the right idea: get it running and (semi)safe to drive. You can coat the rusty sheetmetal with POR15 and some topcoat from Autozone.

I think that's the route he wants to go.  See if we can get it running.  Fix the Rust holes and make it safe and drive it.

7/22/2017 8:47 PM  #11

Another one to be saved from the crusher.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

7/22/2017 9:44 PM  #12

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

7/22/2017 9:59 PM  #13

Ah, yes. The exhuberance and optimism of youth!
This will be a great learning experience.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/22/2017 10:55 PM  #14

Did someone knock holes in the shock towers to grease the upper A arm fittings? Oh, man!
I wish him all the luck/energy/enthusiasm in the world.  I'm partial to six cylinders. You can do anything to them and not feel a twinge of guilt. 

You know that 1100 carb is getting so rare it may be worth half of what was paid for the car. 

Last edited by Muzz 66 (7/22/2017 10:57 PM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

7/23/2017 12:46 PM  #15

Nice!

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

7/23/2017 3:37 PM  #16

Maybe a Mustang Steve Cut in half and reweld project...

7/23/2017 3:39 PM  #17

Muzz 66 wrote:

Did someone knock holes in the shock towers to grease the upper A arm fittings? Oh, man!
I wish him all the luck/energy/enthusiasm in the world.  I'm partial to six cylinders. You can do anything to them and not feel a twinge of guilt. 

You know that 1100 carb is getting so rare it may be worth half of what was paid for the car. 

Yes that's what it looks like they did on the shock towers.   The person I bought my 69 Stang did that too.  I welded it back in on my 69. 

7/23/2017 4:15 PM  #18

Drum brakes on the front end, so we know why it looks like that.  Fortunately they cleaned the driver's seat off before taking pictures to list it...

7/23/2017 4:19 PM  #19

MS wrote:

Ah, yes. The exhuberance and optimism of youth!
This will be a great learning experience.

It sure will.  I always say my '67 fastback was my first car.  I bought it when I was 15.  That's really only partially true though, because my Dad initially bought me a '67 coupe when I was 14.  To be honest it looked cleaner than that '68, but in the end it needed so much bodywork I kept the good parts and sent it to the crusher, but some parts do live on in my '67 fastback including the front seats, which I'd already recovered for the first car. 

7/24/2017 7:05 PM  #20

It may not seem that way now, but you are lucky beyond words to have a son that is interested in doing this. 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

7/26/2017 12:47 PM  #21

jkordzi wrote:

It may not seem that way now, but you are lucky beyond words to have a son that is interested in doing this. 

Yes it is nice and to get help on my own projects too.  

7/26/2017 1:46 PM  #22

Gosh,  I have a whole storage unit filled with the factory parts I removed from my 68 fastback (now '67 Shelby clone). I'd love to help a college student. You could come get the doors, hood, front body work, steering column/linkage, gas tank, radiator, shocks, frame connectors, disc brakes, 9" rear/driveshaft, interior pieces, gauges, and, oh yeah, an ah-oo-gah horn off of my farm truck.
Knowing the tough crowd that reads this forum, no "hoarders" jokes, please.
​(Unfortunately, distance prohibits the deal...)

But to the nay-sayers around the forum, there are folks around that can help out and save time. In 1991, my fastback was written off as "Useless!...rusted beyond repair!" by Dennis Bunch and Corky Reynolds. I've crawled back to 'Best in Show' at AER, and some high profile vintage pace car work. Do the math--25 years or so, but oh! the joy (and the $$$$) of proving nay-sayers wrong (even professional ones!)

​Steve69, you do you, and enjoy time with your son. Right now, get the car up in the air and check the frame rails and suspension attachment points. (FYI--small muffler shops are great about putting a car up in the air so the owner can inspect it.)  Dry rot and rust in hidden places is a killer.
Best,
Paul
​Dallas TX

Last edited by Prof (7/26/2017 1:53 PM)

7/26/2017 7:50 PM  #23

Prof wrote:

Gosh,  I have a whole storage unit filled with the factory parts I removed from my 68 fastback (now '67 Shelby clone). I'd love to help a college student. You could come get the doors, hood, front body work, steering column/linkage, gas tank, radiator, shocks, frame connectors, disc brakes, 9" rear/driveshaft, interior pieces, gauges, and, oh yeah, an ah-oo-gah horn off of my farm truck.
Knowing the tough crowd that reads this forum, no "hoarders" jokes, please.
​(Unfortunately, distance prohibits the deal...)

But to the nay-sayers around the forum, there are folks around that can help out and save time. In 1991, my fastback was written off as "Useless!...rusted beyond repair!" by Dennis Bunch and Corky Reynolds. I've crawled back to 'Best in Show' at AER, and some high profile vintage pace car work. Do the math--25 years or so, but oh! the joy (and the $$$$) of proving nay-sayers wrong (even professional ones!)

​Steve69, you do you, and enjoy time with your son. Right now, get the car up in the air and check the frame rails and suspension attachment points. (FYI--small muffler shops are great about putting a car up in the air so the owner can inspect it.)  Dry rot and rust in hidden places is a killer.
Best,
Paul
​Dallas TX

Thanks Paul for the offer!    That would be a good idea to get it in the air to get a good look at everything.   I bought my 69 in 1992.  I know it was tough learning how to restore a car.  There was no internet or forums.  You were kind of on your own!   Luckily my son has time on his side and I'm sure will see it to the end of being finished.  Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.